Speculation: Could we get Spezza?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Like another psted said, if he can't handle the pressure in a market place like Ottawa, imagine in Montreal :help:

He has skill and everything but I wouldn't give up asset for a cry baby like him

Not only that but the guy has had major back problems in the last few years, simply not worth the risk

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Makes no sense on many levels.

1-I find him massively overrated. He isn't the player he once was, mostly due to declining health, he's had ongoing back issues and 3 operations I believe.

2-Murray will ask for 50% more trading him in the division.

3-he's already asking for a "Bobby Ryan package" back, which is overpayment.

4-He has a large cap hit which is hard to fit in, plus he can be a UFA next summer.

Like Lecavalalier, I think Spezza is a guy who's reputation and cost will be higher than their production.

Spezza's not "massively over-rated". Don't substitute his bad luck with injuries with a loss of ability or being over-hyped. When healthy the guy is a point per game player

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Spezza's not "massively over-rated". Don't substitute his bad luck with injuries with a loss of ability or being over-hyped. When healthy the guy is a point per game player

He's had 3 back surgeries, that's not bad luck, that's a body that's got too many miles. A back is not an ACL where you can replace it with a new one...those issues don't go away.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
We could probably get him, but the very idea of trading valuable core pieces or a lot of futures is completely against what our team is trying to do. So no.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
While Spezza is big and supremely talented, he's also soft as butter. Plekanec , 1st and a prospect is way too much to pay IMO and Ottawa would never trade him here anyway.
I also like how you just obliterated Desharnais from roster.

Totally agree with him being soft. 17 hits in 75 games?! That tells me he's a perimeter player who doesn't give his all. Imagine him and Patches on a line? Another big guy who won't hit or go to the net. Veerrryyy soft. No thanks. Not for the price they'd pay for him.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Totally agree with him being soft. 17 hits in 75 games?! That tells me he's a perimeter player who doesn't give his all. Imagine him and Patches on a line? Another big guy who won't hit or go to the net. Veerrryyy soft. No thanks. Not for the price they'd pay for him.

You should watch him play then.

He's a definitive superstar centre. His injuries have really hurt him though.

You guys all sound ludicrous, we have Desharnais as our number 1 ffs.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Spezza wants to leave because he's always blamed. Translation he does not want to play in Canada, let alone Montreal.

He wants a nice anonymous US market, where he can pile up points.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005

Why the MaxPac insult? Makes no sense. People in this forum who ridicule MaxPac have no clue.

habsrock76

Sep 21, 2006
Ottawa
Spezza's a wet noodle who goes MIA whenever the going gets tough, not exactly what Bergevin's been preaching (CHARACTER) for the past couple seasons.

People in Ottawa aren't even upset that their #1 Centre and arguably best player wants out, why the hell would we want him?

Murray's gonna have a tough time finding a decent return for a 7 mill cap hit with a wonky back and expiring contract.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Spezza's a wet noodle who goes MIA whenever the going gets tough, not exactly what Bergevin's been preaching (CHARACTER) for the past couple seasons.

People in Ottawa aren't even upset that their #1 Centre and arguably best player wants out, why the hell would we want him?

Murray's gonna have a tough time finding a decent return for a 7 mill cap hit with a wonky back and expiring contract.

Pretty much this, not giving up what Murray will want for a 1 year rental on a guy who'll probably miss half of that year especially when it's not our biggest weakness

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
In any event, I think it all bodes well for us if a) Sens lose Spezza, b) bigger name players not wanting to play in Ottawa becomes any kind of trend... they have Karlsson locked up for 5 more years, but it will be interesting to see how things play out with their budget constraints and guys like Spezza and then likely Ryan leaving. They're in our division, so any trials they face are good for us. Alfie already bailed, and soon you'll have the old guard guys like Neil and Phillips done - they are essentially done now as players, but will be done for continuity soon as well.

Analyzer*

No and Montreal would first have to not be on Spezza's list and then secondly, move to the Western conference, or pay a lot for him.

So, this thread is pointless.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Why the MaxPac insult? Makes no sense. People in this forum who ridicule MaxPac have no clue.

It makes perfect sense. Patches is invisible if he's not scoring. He really doesn't do anything else. He is a soft player for his size. He's incredibly streaky too. He scores in bunches, then disappears for 8 games. I'm not saying we don't need him, I'm just saying he doesn't do anything else particularly well. The teams that tend to win, have players that can do it all.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Spezza has all world talent that you can reasonably expect approximately 30+50 from him in a year. The problem is he has had many injuries over the last few years and with his body deteriorating it's hard to guess how long he has left. I would not try and trade for him but I wouldn't be against going after him in FA next summer though.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

It makes perfect sense. Patches is invisible if he's not scoring. He really doesn't do anything else. He is a soft player for his size. He's incredibly streaky too. He scores in bunches, then disappears for 8 games. I'm not saying we don't need him, I'm just saying he doesn't do anything else particularly well. The teams that tend to win, have players that can do it all.

He plays soft for stretches...but when he is going well he gets involved a lot more. I don't think it's all about being soft, I think he needs to be stronger mentally that when he isn't scoring he should drive the net more and finish his checks more. In the playoffs when he started struggling he disappeared and Desharnais and Gallagher were playing shorthanded while Max was out of the play.

Shlapshot

Jun 12, 2014
First post here. This is not a fit. Maybe he's off to sunnier climes in the Western Conference where teams will happily take his $7 M cap hit.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He plays soft for stretches...but when he is going well he gets involved a lot more. I don't think it's all about being soft, I think he needs to be stronger mentally that when he isn't scoring he should drive the net more and finish his checks more. In the playoffs when he started struggling he disappeared and Desharnais and Gallagher were playing shorthanded while Max was out of the play.

Drive the net and hit more?? Dude, that's not Jason Spezza.

Is it the only thing people can come up with when a player is struggling?? Driving the net and hitting more is the solution for everything or everyone.

Spezza is a dangler, he can set up as well as he can shoot, he can also create his own goals. He is not the rush the net or hit type. No clue why you'd ask this of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad