Could the women's Olympic champion team get at least a point in one of the CHL league's regular?

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
AR-309239864.jpg

Manon Rheaume would have to stand on her head.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Now that we see it was the American women and not the Canadians there is absolutely zero chance they could get a point..

Considering the Americans have proven to be a tier ahead of Canada in women's hockey, this comment makes no sense.

USA has outshot Canada in 8 consecutive WC / Olympics games (by a combined margin of 300-195) dating back to 2014 and are 7-1 in those game...

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Considering the Americans have proven to be a tier ahead of Canada in women's hockey, this comment makes no sense.

USA has outshot Canada in 8 consecutive WC / Olympics games (by a combined margin of 300-195) dating back to 2014 and are 7-1 in those game...

They haven't proven to be a tier above at all. They just played two games with Canada winning one and the US winning the other in a SO. Looking at the results posted earlier there is a ton of OT and SO games. Everything points to these two teams being on the same level playing incredibly close games.

Who cares about shots, especially when it appears that a lot of that is due to horrible reffing gifting the US PP's.

The reason I give the Canadians a better shot is that the only chance a women's team has is goaltending and from everything I have read the Canadians have better goaltending and better goaltending depth.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They haven't proven to be a tier above at all. They just played two games with Canada winning one and the US winning the other in a SO. Looking at the results posted earlier there is a ton of OT and SO games. Everything points to these two teams being on the same level playing incredibly close games.

Who cares about shots, especially when it appears that a lot of that is due to horrible reffing gifting the US PP's.

The reason I give the Canadians a better shot is that the only chance a women's team has is goaltending and from everything I have read the Canadians have better goaltending and better goaltending depth.

Ehhh that guy once claimed that the 1996 USA World Cup team should have more NHL top 100 players than the 1996 Canadian World Cup team and that the 2013 US WJC team would beat the 2005 Canadian WJC team in a seven game series. Not surprising that chests are going to by puffed out after a (deserved) women's shootout victory over Canada. USA is a tier above Canada now, USA domination is imminent etc. Next Olympics surely USA will do what Canada never did and win both the men's and women's gold medals in hockey at the same Olympics.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Ehhh that guy once claimed that the 2013 US WJC team would beat the 2005 Canadian WJC team in a seven game series.

LOL

Not derail the thread anymore but are you serious???

That would be a Canada 4 game beat down where it would be a surprise if any game were within 3 goals.

There is being a homer and then there is claiming that!!

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Zero points sorry.

Even if they had equal skill, the size and speed advantage alone would be insurmountable.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The fact that testosterone is a PED tells you everything here. You know all those jokes about the East German women's team in the old days? Yeah, doping tends to make women more like men...because if you're a dude (who's training seriously etc.) and you're competing vs women you're basically guaranteed to win. That's why sex verification became a thing in sports (and of course certain interested quarters made it a political thing to whinge about).

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
The women's team went 10-4-4 this year against Major Midget teams in Alberta. Surely no sensible person would argue that a Midget team could take points from a WHL team except in the circumstance of an incredible goaltending performance. They are equivalent to a top 5 Midget team, at best.
Here are the standings. AMHL

And in a lot of those games the boys teams were on a parade to the penalty box. It's no contact hockey and the boys went to the box for running over the Women's d-men who would try to rub them out on occasion. Give those boys teams a few games to get used to no contact and i say the womens team is about .500 in that league. Strictly because Szabados is a Jr.A quality goaltender

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
And in a lot of those games the boys teams were on a parade to the penalty box. It's no contact hockey and the boys went to the box for running over the Women's d-men who would try to rub them out on occasion. Give those boys teams a few games to get used to no contact and i say the womens team is about .500 in that league. Strictly because Szabados is a Jr.A quality goaltender

I'd say that sounds about right. If the games followed men's rules and allowed full contact they would likely be last in the league.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That being said they could definitely find a win or tie somewhere. Especially a team that has been together for a long time.

Team Canada couldn't even connect on passes that would see even the worst junior player get benched (and likely let go) if he continually struggled making them. Add to that, the fact that 99% of the players are slower than even the worst skater in major junior makes me doubt they'd even win a game.

I mean, MAYBE if their goalie stands on her head and stops all 70 shots they face, or they have incredible puck luck. But if you watched the gold medal game, and you watch junior hockey regularly, you'd see that the level of play is well below what you see in your typical CHL game.

Reactions: Northerner

choirboy

Apr 12, 2006
Not a chance they would come close to getting one point. Heck, if you threw in contact they wouldnt even get a point in the Midget AAA.

Womens game has progressed but it is still not even close to Junior B, let alone the CHL.

The best woman player in the world wouldnt crack a CHL team.

The difference between womans and mens hockey is even further apart than basketball. It will never be comparable, ever.

Reactions: Northerner

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I guess I don’t understand the point of this thread and the constant fascination about the Olympic women losing to boys teams. Feels like these discussions are constantly putting them down because they’re physically disadvantaged.

Reactions: Snippit

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Womens game has progressed but it is still not even close to Junior B, let alone the CHL.
As a former VIJHL affiliate player, it depends. If contact, yeah no shit that just isn't fair, but if no contact, I played with several guys who struggled to score on Mallory Kaiser (Think she was still know as Yanewski at the time), who tried out for Canada's Olympic team back in the late 2000's and clearly didn't come close.

Granted the V is admittedly a poor example of Junior B ha ha, so maybe it depends on the league. Would guess a GOJHL team would bombard the women from orbit.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I guess I don’t understand the point of this thread and the constant fascination about the Olympic women losing to boys teams. Feels like these discussions are constantly putting them down because they’re physically disadvantaged.

Happens every Olympics

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad