Could the women's Olympic champion team get at least a point in one of the CHL league's regular?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They could but (Without being sexist) I compare the level of the women to a midget team (So 13 or 14 yr. olds) so they might be competitive vs. a CHL team.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
They could but (Without being sexist) I compare the level of the women to a midget team (So 13 or 14 yr. olds) so they might be competitive vs. a CHL team.

Isn't CHL for 16-20 yo players? What way even 15 yo team could get a point in the league? You gotta be Crosby to play on par with 20 yo kids being 15 yo.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
They play major midget teams, so 17-18 years olds...

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
That being said they could definitely find a win or tie somewhere. Especially a team that has been together for a long time.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Maybe 1 point in a game where their goalie played out of their mind against the worst team in the league on an off night, but even that is doubtful.

As mentioned the Canadian team struggled in the Alberta Midget AAA league.

And should mention that is with them playing non-contact, if they are playing with contact then no chance.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Asking what level women's teams are at, despite it being obvious based on who they practice against - a tradition unlike any other. Following the gold medal game I look forward to the speculation of how the players would do against an NHL team.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I don't know about lately, but the Women's team used to play Major Midget AAA in alberta ages 15-17, mostly being 16 year olds.

They'd get smoked in the CHL, but in an upset could maybe get a point.

SiberianHockey

Feb 5, 2011
Moscow
Don't know.. women's hockey is hundred times less popular than men's for such cross-gender comparisons to be fair.
On the other hand there are sports with clear objective results..
For example if you take jamaican women's relay 4x100m team with their best result 41.82 - they will easily win men's relay national championships in many small countries around the world. Top chinese 52kg weightlifter would easily win national championships in 90% of countries in the respective weight category and on a good day will win world U16 men champs.
Women hockey have a long way to go to have top athletes being able to compete with third-class men teams.

Hospy

Mar 18, 2013
In 68 games, I'd wager a goalie could go godmode at least once and get a tie.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Not one point. I’d bet on top end boys high school teams in the states over either one of these teams. Poor passing, generally weak shots, and slow skating. Did see some nifty dekes in the SO though.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Now that we see it was the American women and not the Canadians there is absolutely zero chance they could get a point.

I don't think they could come within 5 goals and if you gave the other teams incentive to win by as many possible (ie don't let up like teams do when up big) I think they could lose every game by 10.

youppi2

Dec 19, 2012
Edmonton
The women's team went 10-4-4 this year against Major Midget teams in Alberta. Surely no sensible person would argue that a Midget team could take points from a WHL team except in the circumstance of an incredible goaltending performance. They are equivalent to a top 5 Midget team, at best.
Here are the standings. AMHL

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Yeah watching that game last night...the level of fatigue noticeable by both teams third period and OT was pretty obvious.

They would absolutely get waxed. If I was a varsity high school team in Minnesota and I lost to either of those teams I would never live it down.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
On the really good day they might get a point, but they'd certainly end up at the bottom of the league overall.

I remember seeing a score from an exhibition game before the 1998 Olympics. Canada was the favorite heading in and played against a boys team from Calgary and lost 7-2.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
It's pretty useless to compare women hockey players to their male counterparts. Women just do not have the physical strength to compete against men regardless of their skill. I think changes need to be made to the women's games to suit it to the fact that it is played by females and just not be a female version of a men's game.

I know hitting is not allowed, at least that's what it says in the rulebook although Canada got away with some hits. Interesting how rules seem to be different for Canada at times whether it men or women. Anyway, bigger changes are needed to make the game more competitive on the international stage.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Co-Ed hockey would be a more interesting question than Men VS Women IMO. The entire Swiss women's team plays boys junior hockey, and some of them are actually pretty good. Muller was third on her team in scoring last year if I recall and that's a league that produces an occasional NHL pick.

Goalies like Raty and Szabados playing mens league is a good step, but past junior the size difference usually becomes too much, especially in North America.

I played with girls who could make the boys looks foolish when I was younger, but as soon as the boys started graduating to Major Midget and Junior etc, the girls start to get left behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad