Could the flat cap be an advantage for Toronto?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
There's got to be a gentleman's agreement throughout the league to not use offer sheets against their financially strapped rivals under these circumstances.

Why are we assuming everything's honky-dory at MLSE during this time? How many sources of revenue does MLSE have at this time that the balance of the league doesn't have? Plus MLSE is a bloated operation. It costs considerably more to pay the many extra bodies MLSE carries over most NHL operations.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The flat cap is a advantage because of the way the contracts were set up with signing bonuses for trading purposes.
Kappy
Kerfoot
Andersen
Johnsson are all less real money than cap hit. Andersen significantly at only 20% of his cap hit for a #1 goalie. Jeez its seems like to much added trade value to not move him and take advantage of a once in a life time opportunity. Asset management tells you move Andersen and i like him.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There's got to be a gentleman's agreement throughout the league to not use offer sheets against their financially strapped rivals under these circumstances.

Why are we assuming everything's honky-dory at MLSE during this time? How many sources of revenue does MLSE have at this time that the balance of the league doesn't have? Plus MLSE is a bloated operation. It costs considerably more to pay the many extra bodies MLSE carries over most NHL operations.

probably because the day the leafs signed like 70 million dollars in bonus cheques Dubas was smiles ear to ear and playing golf at a charity tournament.

the leafs haven’t cut any salaries. They still made hundreds of millions of profit last year.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Well this story say they are the only team not cutting employees salaries. So i guess that should be the assumption actually. They are loaded. Nows the time to support this kind of corporate goodness they are doing for their team and every worker they are supporting with principles and good corporate morals. Proud of them. Seravalli: At least 17 NHL teams have reduced pay amid COVID-19 crunch - TSN.ca

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m hoping the Canadian government doesn’t freak out again and lock down as “cases” rise.
They didn’t mind doing a social experiment with sending our kids back to school to see how much it would increase the cases and deaths now did they. Worst of all it is not even a federal compliance initiative to maintain the very safest protocols in all provinces.A baby sitting program to keep everything rolling. What are you worried about. They are making decisions with financial priorities first on a world devastating pandemic.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
If Toronto could just hire a competent management group we wouldn’t need to worry about financial advantages to lord over the less wealthy teams.

Reactions: ToneDog

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If Toronto could just hire a competent management group we wouldn’t need to worry about financial advantages to lord over the less wealthy teams.
They are compotent. Did you miss the Kapanen trade recently. You probably think denial is a river in egypt.

Reactions: kb

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
They don't have to improve. The last two years they have crawled forward from 62 points to 76 points to a pace of 81 points this season. They are not going to competing for the cup this year and with likely few fans in the building this coming year they are free to say that they will just try to continue slowly getting better and keep their cap space open for Dahlin and any high end UFA who will agree to come to Buffalo over the two off seasons. It's not great, but the Leafs have been going all in and have gotten worse over each of the last two years.

I think you will be disappointed when either leaves and dahlin regresses

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They don't have to improve. The last two years they have crawled forward from 62 points to 76 points to a pace of 81 points this season. They are not going to competing for the cup this year and with likely few fans in the building this coming year they are free to say that they will just try to continue slowly getting better and keep their cap space open for Dahlin and any high end UFA who will agree to come to Buffalo over the two off seasons. It's not great, but the Leafs have been going all in and have gotten worse over each of the last two years.

The Leafs have not gone all in, not yet that's coming because Dubas has put himself on a clock he didn't need to by not giving Matthews and Marner max term like any other GM or general person would, but all in hasn't happened yet

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
No it would be better if the cap rose or even better, just disappeared completely
Correct. Unfortunately, because it's now an American league, and the primary goal of the league is to expand and gain popularity in the American market, the cap is here to stay forever.

I love the Leafs, and I love hockey. But a complete joke of a league.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
A flat cap is of no advantage to the Leafs...checking for rocks under the waters surface before diving in is key for the Leafs future....as for Lou?....credibitlity and player knowledge come to mind.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Lou has nothing to do with this

No he doesn't have anything to do with this....but like so many other teams have done they have copied the Islanders 4th line trying to get the same identity....Lou was wise to re-instate his 4th line(really third) with re-acquireing Martin ..(once again i believe Dubas did the kid a favour after how Bobcock treated him and others).This is where credibility and player knowledge comes in on the previous post.

As for the Leafs and their puzzle...prob here is overpayment to 4 players and not enough cash to fill out the team properly to make a winner.....too many talk about a 4th line making too much. in NY..well they are not a 4th line and what they bring is worth more than what they are paid....Less thinking players are 4th liners and get X amount of money 3rd liners X amount and so on and a closer look at why a team is in the conference final is in order.....A few moves and the puzzle can look like the picture on the box....Not the spend till your purse is empty mentality....any GM can do that...why do some win with less money spent is what should be asked.

AAA beef is AAA beef....just because someone mislabelled the beef putting AA stamp on it and you got it bargain price(4th line)....once you have tasted it you realize the mistake...Look at Isles 4th line and what they have accomplished and make the beef comparison.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Well this story say they are the only team not cutting employees salaries. So i guess that should be the assumption actually. They are loaded. Nows the time to support this kind of corporate goodness they are doing for their team and every worker they are supporting with principles and good corporate morals. Proud of them. Seravalli: At least 17 NHL teams have reduced pay amid COVID-19 crunch - TSN.ca

"Corporate goodness". :laugh: You sound like one of those slogan spouting drones who infest every corporation's Personnel department.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
They didn’t mind doing a social experiment with sending our kids back to school to see how much it would increase the cases and deaths now did they. Worst of all it is not even a federal compliance initiative to maintain the very safest protocols in all provinces.A baby sitting program to keep everything rolling. What are you worried about. They are making decisions with financial priorities first on a world devastating pandemic.

"Be afraid, be very afraid! Won't somebody think of our children! Who needs to re-start the world? I'm doing fine still receiving my paycheque while working at home! People don't have enough money, why don't we just print more? Or get a job at a corporation co-owned by a media duopoly. What's the worse that could happen? Other than negative interest rates with inflation. It's all worth it to topple .... er .... save my friend's grandma who he never visits or thinks about any longer. "

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
"Be afraid, be very afraid! Won't somebody think of our children! Who needs to re-start the world? I'm doing fine still receiving my paycheque while working at home! People don't have enough money, why don't we just print more? Or get a job at a corporation co-owned by a media duopoly. What's the worse that could happen? Other than negative interest rates with inflation. It's all worth it to topple .... er .... save my friend's grandma who he never visits or thinks about any longer. "
Really eh. Wow

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They are compotent. Did you miss the Kapanen trade recently. You probably think denial is a river in egypt.

For all those that love the Campbell trade, a reminder that he is Dubas' third attempt at replacing McBackup. Yes, the Kappy deal looks good on paper but it may not if Kappy pulls a Kadri next year.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

kb

Aug 28, 2009
For all those that love the Campbell trade, a reminder that he is Dubas' third attempt at replacing McBackup. Yes, the Kappy deal looks good on paper but it may not if Kappy pulls a Kadri next year.
Don't care what happens to the people traded....it's what they did for my team that counts.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Don't care what happens to the people traded....it's what they did for my team that counts.

Unfortunately there are lots of fans that do not share your opinion. Witness all the flack the Leafs got for trading Kadri ?? What about the trade for Kessel ? It may not be as loud for Kappy, but you can bet it will be there if Kappy does well in the playoffs next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad