Could the Devils get Askarov the goalie from Nashville?

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

i thought of trying to get Askarov and Schmid to battle for net

but Fitzgerald may be thinking bigger!

I'm not trusting anything coming from Seravelli.

That being said, I simply cannot fathom why people want Schmid in the AHL. I don't care about all this unproven bullshit talk. That's all it is. He was our best goalie throughout last regular season and our best goalie in the playoffs. He's not a goalie that just got hot and happened to look good for a few games here and there. He has extremely sound fundamentals and is NEVER out of position. His 1.000 Save Percentage on Low Danger Chances is a testament to that. He makes all of the saves you need him to make and does not allow very many stoppable goals because of it. His only issue is that he tends to be a little slower moving laterally, something that helps on breakaways and shootouts and hurts on cross-ice passes in the offensive zone. This basically means that as long as the defense is not breaking down a ridiculous amount and leaving all of these passing lanes open, Schmid is going to be your guy, which we saw through all of last season.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It sort of saddens me that Russian players are colored with this stigma. I've met many Russian people both in business and in personal life and like EVERYONE else, they're mostly wonderful people who are nuanced and different and interesting (funny, or smart, or talented, or whatever). I'm especially annoyed by the Russian Mafia nonsense, having an Italian background on my mom's side (and citizenship to boot!), and the assumption that everyone Russian is their government which I've found is extremely untrue.

If anything, they have nuanced views of Russia and the government and like China the government and the people are different things.

Whatever, all I'm saying is sign me up for more Russian players.
It's an important point to remember that you have to take every individual on their own terms and you can't paint any one person with the broad brush stroke of whatever you might think of their background. We are all much more than a demographic.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Blackwood could make the team in 19-20 after a similar showing in 18-19 (Schmid’s is more impressive, particularly because of the playoffs combined with regular season) and a similar small sample of games played, then Schmid should be able to make the team this coming year.

Though we do have a different GM than we did that year, and for as down as some people are on Vitek, he really isn’t as unreliable as a 33 year old that just went through 3 consecutive decline years.

If it’s not Schmid, then we need to acquire an NHL goalie somehow. Kallgren is definitely not an NHL goalie. He was seriously one of the lousier call up goalies I saw last year that got into a decent number of games. I mentioned that earlier in the year. He’s AHL caliber/third string at best.

And at the same time, just because Seravalli says that’s how they feel, doesn’t mean that’s how they feel. Or at least not how it will play out.

My3Sons

Sponsor
If Blackwood could make the team in 19-20 after a similar showing in 18-19 (Schmid’s is more impressive, particularly because of the playoffs combined with regular season) and a similar small sample of games played, then Schmid should be able to make the team this coming year.

Though we do have a different GM than we did that year, and for as down as some people are on Vitek, he really isn’t as unreliable as a 33 year old that just went through 3 consecutive decline years.

If it’s not Schmid, then we need to acquire an NHL goalie somehow. Kallgren is definitely not an NHL goalie. He was seriously one of the lousier call up goalies I saw last year that got into a decent number of games. I mentioned that earlier in the year. He’s AHL caliber/third string at best.

And at the same time, just because Seravalli says that’s how they feel, doesn’t mean that’s how they feel. Or at least not how it will play out.
I presume it's more a fall back position than anything. Right now it's hard to see Schmid not playing NHL games but he is young and maybe needs a bit of work on some technical elements of the position and if they have to send him down to work on certain things they'd like to be able to do that. I'm skeptical that guy they just added is a viable alternative at the NHL level but we will see.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I presume it's more a fall back position than anything. Right now it's hard to see Schmid not playing NHL games but he is young and maybe needs a bit of work on some technical elements of the position and if they have to send him down to work on certain things they'd like to be able to do that. I'm skeptical that guy they just added is a viable alternative at the NHL level but we will see.
Either way I think he’s gotta be here this year. Because if we hypothetically get Hellebuyck, Vitek probably has to go the other way for cap reasons and so they can get another goalie in return. Unless they retain a whole lot of Hellebuyck’s salary. Even though he’s a workhorse, I don’t think you wanna go with Hellebuyck-Kallgren. Unless they start the season that way (like Schneider-Clemmensen in 2014 while Kinkaid had to stay in the minors lol) and then when they see Kallgren sucks in the rare games he plays, he goes to the AHL and enter Schmid. Just like what happened in 2014. Or unless Schmid winds up going back the other way for Hellebuyck. Doesn’t seem like he will, but who knows? They’d have to retain a decent amount of his salary if that were to happen.

Speaking of Hellebuyck and after the Detroit discussion on here yesterday, watch Detroit end up with him and they send Husso to Winnipeg.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
If N
Either way I think he’s gotta be here this year. Because if we hypothetically get Hellebuyck, Vitek probably has to go the other way for cap reasons and so they can get another goalie in return. Unless they retain a whole lot of Hellebuyck’s salary. Even though he’s a workhorse, I don’t think you wanna go with Hellebuyck-Kallgren. Unless they start the season that way (like Schneider-Clemmensen in 2014 while Kinkaid had to stay in the minors lol) and then when they see Kallgren sucks in the rare games he plays, he goes to the AHL and enter Schmid. Just like what happened in 2014. Or unless Schmid winds up going back the other way for Hellebuyck. Doesn’t seem like he will, but who knows? They’d have to retain a decent amount of his salary if that were to happen.

Speaking of Hellebuyck and after the Detroit discussion on here yesterday, watch Detroit end up with him and they send Husso to Winnipeg.
I’m skeptical NJ woukd send out Schmid as part of a package for a rental goalie even a good one.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

Honestly I think they have more (expendable) assets than us. Same with Buffalo.

We might be able to put together a better package but as I've said, the rumored acquisition cost would arguably detrimental to the team.

Buffalo and Detroit don't really have to worry about that.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad