Speculation: Could "Stamkos to Toronto" Have Financial Motivations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
So obviously there's nothing new on the contract front, and with each passing day Stamkos gets closer and closer to UFA.

One thing I thought of recently that could be a motivating factor in Stamkos signing in Toronto is the financial side.

Not in terms of contract dollars, but the very important endorsement deals.

Toronto is a media hotbed. And if Stamkos is playing here, he will get a lot of media attention and as a result, sponsors will be selling their own mothers to get him signed to endorsement deals.

Even if Stamkos signed a "cap-friendly" deal in Toronto, he'd make a huge pay-day with endorsements to more than make up for it.

Wouldn't he? Or am I totally wrong here?

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
He would no matter where he is. He's Steven Stamkos. Companies don't just stop paying interest to one of the biggest Canadian athletes just because he isn't in Toronto. He'd make millions on endorsements playing out of Arizona.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Hockey endorsements are much smaller than other sports. It would still be a fraction of his contract, not multiple times his contract like in some other leagues.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
He would no matter where he is. He's Steven Stamkos. Companies don't just stop paying interest to one of the biggest Canadian athletes just because he isn't in Toronto. He'd make millions on endorsements playing out of Arizona.

I can see where you are coming from, but I am pretty sure more Stamkos' Leafs jersey will sell compared to Coyotes. I know Arizona is an extreme example, but I do think some markets are better than others.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Do the Leafs even want Stamkos? Call me crazy, but a team at this stage of a rebuild shouldn't really be signing a 26/27 year old to a 7 year, 80 million dollar deal, should they?

I'm only kidding, they'll have a blank check waiting.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

He would be a very popular athlete in Tornonto and would make a ton of money in endorsements.

If he's holding out, thought, I seriously doubt it's about money and more about where he sees himself going. Toronto could be in play. Not a sure thing, but just a possibility.

champs*

Do the Leafs even want Stamkos? Call me crazy, but a team at this stage of a rebuild shouldn't really be signing a 26/27 year old to a 7 year, 80 million dollar deal, should they?

I'm only kidding, they'll have a blank check waiting.

i would take a pass on him ...

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
Stamkos will remain in the States. If we are talking endorsement deals only he will get A LOT more in the States. You don't even have to be an athlete and you'll make more money in the states for many professions.

Which Canadian company can you think of that will endorse Stamkos or any other elite athlete? Tim Hortons? Blackberry? Canadian Tire? Sport check? There's not much happening here.

If you were a hockey player and you really cared about endorsements and the money, would you really stay in Canada?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Stamkos will remain in the States. If we are talking endorsement deals only he will get A LOT more in the States. You don't even have to be an athlete and you'll make more money in the states for many professions.

Which Canadian company can you think of that will endorse Stamkos or any other elite athlete? Tim Hortons? Blackberry? Canadian Tire? Sport check? There's not much happening here.

If you were a hockey player and you really cared about endorsements and the money, would you really stay in Canada?

You're kidding right?, if he sign in Toronto I can pretty much guarantee that he will make at least 10 million a year from corporate sponsors. Any of the Big 5 banks will pay an arm and a leg to have him. It will be very likely that one of the big 3 telecommunications (Bell, Rogers or Telus) will pay through the nose too. His endorsement deals could easily eclipse his NHL Salary. It a unique time for a player like Stamkos and with the lanscape changed as much as it has its only a matter of time before some truly big stars decide its time to come home and roost.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa

Most large brands have Canadian branches that have their own endorsement deals.

Also look at the TV revenue in Canada compared to the US it's more than double.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Is he the same after his injury ?
Didn't exactly play well in the playoffs either. A lot of cap space taken up will reduce our ability to wheel and deal. We are missing too many pieces to go for Stamkos.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Guy already has huge endorsment deals and I've heard he enjoys the anonymity playing in the states. I guess anything is possible.

Pokecheck Prayer

Jan 21, 2015
You're kidding right?, if he sign in Toronto I can pretty much guarantee that he will make at least 10 million a year from corporate sponsors. Any of the Big 5 banks will pay an arm and a leg to have him. It will be very likely that one of the big 3 telecommunications (Bell, Rogers or Telus) will pay through the nose too. His endorsement deals could easily eclipse his NHL Salary. It a unique time for a player like Stamkos and with the lanscape changed as much as it has its only a matter of time before some truly big stars decide its time to come home and roost.

Sorry but no way in hell will Stamkos ever make anything close to 10 million a year in endorsements. Crosby is the face of hockey and he makes 4.5m. That's reebok, gatorade, sports chek, tim horton's and rogers. He signed that deal when he was in the best player in the league and the most marketable.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2014/11/25/the-nhls-highest-paid-players-2014-15/

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sorry but no way in hell will Stamkos ever make anything close to 10 million a year in endorsements. Crosby is the face of hockey and he makes 4.5m. That's reebok, gatorade, sports chek, tim horton's and rogers. He signed that deal when he was in the best player in the league and the most marketable.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2014/11/25/the-nhls-highest-paid-players-2014-15/

Hockey's a rich kid sport with limited reach. Baseball and basketball can be played everywhere Same with football(touch or flag in a yard) and soccer... Just get a ball. It's not like the kids can play hockey with sticks at recess in school because a sticks a weapon.

The best sport is not a cheap sport and is hard to access.

The point of my saying that is people get into what they played as a kid. If they want to grow hockey in the states they need to grow ball hockey for one and get kids playing in fenced in controlled environments. If they get that, then many of those kids will push to get ice time and on and on.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's got his major bases already covered for endorsements with Nike and Bauer.

He's also done some stuff with bio steel, but I don't think it's paid.

Anything else would likely be minor deals.

Pokecheck Prayer

Jan 21, 2015
Yep, all he's getting is the 10% federal. Compare that to what, 50% ish here at the top bracket?

thanks I couldn't find the fed tax to add to my post
I'm sure Stamkos could hire the best of the best of sports accountants in canada but it will never compare to the florida rates.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Hockey endorsements are much smaller than other sports. It would still be a fraction of his contract, not multiple times his contract like in some other leagues.

Crosby earns $1.4M/yr from CCM alone, playing in Pittsburgh. I would rank Stamkos in the Crosby category...

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Crosby isn't in Toronto... Not to mention those were signed a few years ago. The players are making more money in general now, and if Crosby re-signed those contracts now, he would conceivably be making more on them, even with reduced production.

Pokecheck Prayer

Jan 21, 2015
Crosby isn't in Toronto... Not to mention those were signed a few years ago. The players are making more money in general now, and if Crosby re-signed those contracts now, he would conceivably be making more on them, even with reduced production.

do you have any facts to back this up?

Last edited:

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
Players get taxed at the local rate for the 41 games they play at home and the other 41 games at the rate of the states/provinces they play in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad