WWE: Could Shane vs. AJ Styles surpass Shane vs. Kurt Angle?

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I mean, it's not impossible however there's no way they're gonna let anything like shane vs angle happen. Perhaps a top rope table spot, sure. But no chance vince lets shane do anything similar to the broken glass spot again and it's not because it's "too dangerous" since you know, shane jumped off the ****ing hell in a cell (did i mention i called that? yes i'm not letting that go :sarcasm:) but because vince remembers what happened to shane the first time he tried it....and then the second...and then the next 6 when the glass refused to break :laugh:

Do you know how old AJ is?

I think he's still in his prime. Has he really slowed down? I don't see that. Guys like Orton and Cena are almost 40 and they haven't slowed down. Bret Hart was in his prime even past 40 and it probably would have continued if he got more opportunities in WCW.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think he's still in his prime. Has he really slowed down? I don't see that. Guys like Orton and Cena are almost 40 and they haven't slowed down. Bret Hart was in his prime even past 40 and it probably would have continued if he got more opportunities in WCW.

I'd say Cena has gotten better the past couple of years, especially this year working with AJ. I think he really stepped up after winning the US title and had those open challenges. He got to work with a lot of talented people and put on some awesome matches.

Some get better with age, others slow down quite a bit. Undertaker is an example of someone that just needs to stop, its a bit of a different case because he's only part time and doesn't go often but he hasn't put on a good match since CM Punk.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd say Cena has gotten better the past couple of years, especially this year working with AJ. I think he really stepped up after winning the US title and had those open challenges. He got to work with a lot of talented people and put on some awesome matches.

Some get better with age, others slow down quite a bit. Undertaker is an example of someone that just needs to stop, its a bit of a different case because he's only part time and doesn't go often but he hasn't put on a good match since CM Punk.

Undertaker's best in-ring work was still in his 40s though. That window when he was 41-48 was superb. He was amazing. On a hockey message board we're so used to seeing hockey players primes end in their early 30s yet with wrestling, prime years can go well into your mid-40s before you really start to slow down. Even then, Undertaker still had a great match with Brock in HIAC at 50-years-old.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Undertaker's best in-ring work was still in his 40s though. That window when he was 41-48 was superb. He was amazing. On a hockey message board we're so used to seeing hockey players primes end in their early 30s yet with wrestling, prime years can go well into your mid-40s before you really start to slow down. Even then, Undertaker still had a great match with Brock in HIAC at 50-years-old.

So does that mean Shane is still in his prime too? Isn't he like just 44 or 45? It's just the grey hair that makes him look old and weak...

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
So does that mean Shane is still in his prime too? Isn't he like just 44 or 45? It's just the grey hair that makes him look old and weak...
No, 'cos he has no experience. And Experience is the most important part. He's also not been doing the physical side either, so that also doesn't help.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Taker is a rarity though. Most wrestlers don't make it that long (career or just plain living sadly). Honestly it is kind of insane he was able to go as long as he has and still get decent matches. Really no shame in saying enough is enough at his age. Dude has had an insane career.

It takes the right combination of talent and ring knowledge to know when to change your style to work around your age, while still knowing how to tell a story. Plus just plain luck.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
... :facepalm:

:shakehead Oh man, what a letdown of a match...

You were right guys. This was far from good. Shane in a regular wrestling match? What were they thinking?! And he didn't even jump off something high... :shakehead

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
It was okay. Obviously Shane did something crazy for an untrained person, but for him it was routine. I'm just happy AJ won.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
This match did Shane more justice than the Taker match. AJ is similar in size and works a lot in the air. It made sense but I think we all would've preferred to never see this.

Nothing against Shane but AJ needs to be doing more important things while he's here. This match wasn't important because it was a contrived feud.

Speaking of Taker...Roman was a better opponent for him although Roman can't carry a match on his own.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Understandable, since he's older and not an active wrestler, but Shane had very poor stamina last night. He looked exhausted after the 1st minute. His outfit and gimmick are also very, very bad. We're supposed to cheer for Richie Rich McSilverSpoon?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You've seen this made make AJ a made man in Vince's eyes, and it wasn't as bad as it could've been.

Now I want you to think about next year when Shane McMahon fights Shinsuke Nakamura

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad