Could McDavid/Eichel Win Calder Over Artemi Panarin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
McDavid will win easy. He has enough of an anchor and reputations in the minds of the east coast voters going way back to get the votes.

I'll be legitmately shocked if he doesn't win. He drives the bus here already and in a few weeks has turned Patrick Maroon into the second coming of John LeClair. I cant see him not winning. Especially if he can do 50+ in 45 games. Which is possible. He needs two more points for 50.

Their last game is against Vancouver who were complete trash tonight.

But his points don't count against garbage teams, didn't you hear?:sarcasm:

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
I don't understand why people keep saying stuff like this lol. Most Oiler fans don't expect him to win it and just think he should be a top 3 finalist. We already know he's the best rookie in the NHL and soon to be the best player.

I don't know. Maybe because Oilers fans, even the ones that do admit Panarin should win the Calder, feel the need to come into all these Calder debate threads and remind us all that McDavid is "the best rookie in the NHL and soon to be the best player."

This "okay, Panarin will win, BUT MCDAVID IS THE BEST AND WE ALL KNOW IT" sort of thing seems like people are mad that Panarin is taking some attention away from McDavid with the likely Calder win. In my opinion, of course.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I don't know. Maybe because Oilers fans, even the ones that do admit Panarin should win the Calder, feel the need to come into all these Calder debate threads and remind us all that McDavid is "the best rookie in the NHL and soon to be the best player."

This "okay, Panarin will win, BUT MCDAVID IS THE BEST AND WE ALL KNOW IT" sort of thing seems like people are mad that Panarin is taking some attention away from McDavid with the likely Calder win. In my opinion, of course.
Welcome to HF pal, we are aloud to voice our opinion

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Don't know about the soon to be best player in the league but by pretty well all manner of neutral metrics and opinions what the 'oiler fans' say is pretty well correct. Take all oiler and hawk fans out of the equation and also hated rivals of those teams (who would have a bias) and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the neutrals would say McDavid is the better player, which of course means nothing in regard to this award which Panarin fully deserves to win.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
One plays with Kane and Keith, the other plays with Eberle and who? Also the only thing I don't know is whether he would have scored 90 or 100+ points, 50? Don't be riduclous. 60? Very easily. 70? Most definitely. 80? I would bet money on it, and I think somewhere in the 85-95 range would have been the most likely scenario. It's clear as day to whoever has watched both of them who's a better player. Panarin is likely not even a top 25 forward in the NHL and McDavid is atleast top 10, maybe even top 3-5 already. If you believe otherwise it's likely because you are too much of a Hawks fan to be objective about the two of them.

McDavid is playing meaningless hockey games. Panarin actually had to play important hockey all season on a team that has a target on its back every game because they are the defending champs.

McDavid may be a top 3-5 forward already? :laugh: Certainly he will be eventually, but pump the brakes.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Don't know about the soon to be best player in the league but by pretty well all manner of neutral metrics and opinions what the 'oiler fans' say is pretty well correct. Take all oiler and hawk fans out of the equation and also hated rivals of those teams (who would have a bias) and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the neutrals would say McDavid is the better player, which of course means nothing in regard to this award which Panarin fully deserves to win.

Well, the bolded is pretty much exactly my point.

I've never once said Panarin is a better player than McDavid.

But the fact of the matter is he will be winning the Calder, so everyone feeling the need to point out how much of a better hockey player McDavid is does not really accomplish much, in the context of these Calder debate threads, other than to make people seem a bit insecure or something about Panarin winning.

MPStoEberletoHall*

McDavid is playing meaningless hockey games. Panarin actually had to play important hockey all season on a team that has a target on its back every game because they are the defending champs.

McDavid may be a top 3-5 forward already? :laugh: Certainly he will be eventually, but pump the brakes.
Name 5 players better than him.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Well, the bolded is pretty much exactly my point.

I've never once said Panarin is a better player than McDavid.

But the fact of the matter is he will be winning the Calder, so everyone feeling the need to point out how much of a better hockey player McDavid is does not really accomplish much, in the context of these Calder debate threads, other than to make people seem a bit insecure or something about Panarin winning.

You sound just as insecure, brah.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Name 5 players better than him.

Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Benn, Seguin, Ovechkin, Giroux... That was easy. Didn't even name any D's yet. McDavid might very well be top 5 some day (or even better) but he ain't there yet. :laugh:

Don't worry, he might not win the Calder but he'll win plenty other trophies as an Oiler before moving on.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Benn, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tavares, Malkin, Thornton, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Seguin, etc, etc, etc

Stamkos said before the season even started that he thought McDavid was already a better player than him, but I'm sure you know better than him right? The only thing Stamkos is better at than McDavid is shooting the puck, most of everything else is in McDavid's favour and not very close. Half of those players you listed aren't even performing as well as McDavid this season despite every single player listed there playing on elite teams.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Stamkos said before the season even started that he thought McDavid was already a better player than him, but I'm sure you know better than him right? The only thing Stamkos is better at than McDavid is shooting the puck, most of everything else is in McDavid's favour and not very close. Half of those players you listed aren't even performing as well as McDavid this season despite every single player listed there playing on elite teams.

And McDavid doesn't even have a full season under his belt. Comparing him to the leagues best is pure unadulterated bias. Ovy, Sid, Kopitar, Kane, Toews are so far above McDavid at this point in their careers it's not even funny. McDavid's still the best player on the worst team in hockey, shooting against everyone else's backup in meaningless games. Even Babcock said guys don't prepare the same going against the worst teams. Let's see how McDavid handles a playoff game before anointing him the best player ever.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Kane, Benn, Crosby, Ovechkin, Seguin, Toews, Keith, Kopitar, Doughty, Bergeron, Karlsson, Tavares, Tarasenko, Weber, Getzlaf, Perry, Suter, Malkin, Letang, Pavelski, ...

There's 20 off the top of my head.

He's better than several of those players. I agree though he's not a top 5 player in the league, but he is a top 5 offensive player in the league

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
and if Kane missed a bunch of time Panarin wouldn't have nearly the amount of points that he does. So what? Mcdavid is the Kane of his line while Panarin is the Eberle of his.

If you're suggesting that Panarin is 100% leaching off of Kane, I question the number of Blackhawks games you've watched. It's not a coincidence that Kane's career year (so far) was when he was playing with a guy who has a similar hockey IQ.

Obviously playing with Kane has helped Panarin, but IMO that's not an argument to change how awards are won in the NHL, nor is a variety of per game or per 60 minutes played stats. All those "projected" points didn't actually help contribute to the team's performance, which is the basis of the award IMO.

I'd also say that I don't think there is 1 reputable Hawks poster saying that Panarin is better player than McDavid. I think that's obvious, and if McD had played in 70+ games he'd get the award, but it sucks that he got hurt and had to miss 30'ish games.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
He's better than several of those players. I agree though he's not a top 5 player in the league, but he is a top 5 offensive player in the league
No, he's having a better half season than some of those players. Doesn't make him better, as those guys have proven they can play at such a level and can sustain it too. Most of those guys have also proven they can perform in the playoffs.

Again, no, Kane, Benn, Crosby, Seguin, Ovechkin, Tavares, ... Heck, based on this season you can include Kuznetsov and Gaudreau too.

And don't give me his PPG now, Kane was at one point on pace for what, 130 points? He has not sustained a PPG pace for a whole season yet. Not even for 50 games. He might well do it, as soon as next season. He might score 100 points, again, as soon as next season, unlikely as it is. He might winn the Conn Smythe if the Oilers ever end up making the playoffs, unlikely as it is. But he hasn't actually done any of those things. And that's not a slight on him, it's just a fact. And he can have all the talent in the world, but to put him above players that have been playing at an absolutely elite level in this league for years is borderline disrespectful. Doesn't do the kid any favours either. Instead of letting a teenager develop at his own pace, enjoy watching him and be excited about him, people anoint him a Top 5 player in the league after half a ****ing season, raising expectations for the future to a point where he can probably never meet them. At this point people will probably actually be disappointed if he ends up with 70-75 points in his sophomore season, which would be ****ing fantastic.

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
I'd vote for Mcdavid. He has a slight edge in points per game and has done this with less around him and with a huge chunk of his season gone due to injury. For me, the age and professional experience matters. It's not defined in the Calder trophy's description, but it should be awarded for actual rookie and not just first year in the league. This isn't to discount what Panarin has accomplished, but I fell that the circumstances point to Mcdavid deserving the award more than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad