Could McDavid/Eichel Win Calder Over Artemi Panarin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
It's possible, right now Panarin is still the favorite. McDavid plays amazing, but Artemiy is 7th in points.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
No, it's highly unlikely that the two 19 year old rookies will beat the 24 year old, 7 year professional-rookie for the Calder.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Panarin is on pace for 27/74.

McDavid has 17 in 15 with 30 games left in the season. I think McDavid probably needs to end up with a huge points per game difference over Panarin for him to win with just a bit over half as many games played.

If Panarin finishes with around 70, and McDavid can manage to be on pace for 90 points, I think McDavid takes it. Benn is on pace for a bit over 90, and will likely end up 2nd in scoring in the entire league. So people might see McDavid being on pace for that as a huge accomplishment despite the smaller sample size.

I also think context could hurt Panarin and make it easier for Eichel to win if he stays hot and finishes within 10 or so points of Panarin, or McDavid if he has an amazing PPG. The award is voted on by people, so context does come into play. When was the last time an older player won? Not only that, neither McDavid or Eichel are playing with anybody who is doing anything near what Kane has done this season. Kane is on pace for around 120 points, which would put him almost 30 points above Benn if they both continue at their scoring rate.

Eichel is PPG in his last 20 games played, and it isn't uncommon for 18 year olds to take time to acclimate to the NHL. Similar to MacKinnon who put up much bigger numbers in his rookie year during the last three quarters of the season. Eichel could easily end up within 10 points or closer of Panarin, in which case, he'll probably win.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I think McDavid and Eichel would have to go on a tear and their teams would have to win games for voters to choose them

insider

Nov 14, 2003
What about Ghostisbehere? On pace for 50 pts in 64 games.

If he reaches 50 and leads his team to the playoffs, that's just as impressive as what Panarin's doing.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Not only could he, it's going to happen. Just like Lemieux took the scoring title from Lafontaine.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
What about Ghostisbehere? On pace for 50 pts in 64 games.

If he reaches 50 and leads his team to the playoffs, that's just as impressive as what Panarin's doing.
McDavid won't win it unless he puts up 2 PPG for the rest of the reason and finishes with ~70 points

Ghostisbehere won't finish with 50 points he's just got Colton Parayko syndrome right now

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Should not forget about Dylan Larkin either

leads his team in goals, points and has +23 rating while 2nd best has +10.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I don't know - but I think voters are going to look for a reason to not give the award to Panarin because of his age and because he plays with Kane.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
McDavid won't win it unless he puts up 2 PPG for the rest of the reason and finishes with ~70 points

Ghostisbehere won't finish with 50 points he's just got Colton Parayko syndrome right now

lmao McDavid doesn't need 70 points to win the calder

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Panarin/Larkin are the favs id think. Larkin is unreal, but Panarin will win definately

mgS6RUm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad