Could Marchand win a scoring title?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Seriously, do you think he's talented enough to do so? He was on pace for 103 points this year and he's got 178 points in his last 148 regular season games.

I was thinking of MSL and how similar their career trajectories are and could be. Both are late bloomers. MLS won the Art Ross in his age 29 and 38 seasons.

Do you think he can be productive like MSL late into his 30s? Could he possibly squeak out a Ross or two in the McDavid era?

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
He's been close so I don't see why not. And even though it sounds funny, the yearly suspensions do work against him lol.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He's been close so I don't see why not. And even though it sounds funny, the yearly suspensions do work against him lol.
I suppose it's also possible that having to miss a handful of games each season could help keep him fresh

On a side note, I wonder if he puts money aside each season for inevitable fines ala Rodney Harrison lol

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Yes, he could, and yes, he could put up a great season and outscore McDavid - as could a dozen or more other NHL players.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
If everyone on his line stays healthy, he has a shot.

He also has to not get suspended, which has proven to be pretty tough for him. And I doubt any of his future suspensions will only be 1-2 games... They'll be 3+. He's earned that much.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
If the stars align correctly, absolutely. I think McDavid/Kucherov/MacKinnon are the front runners at this point, McDavid the favourite horse off course. But it is possible, no doubt.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If he plays a full season scoring like he did this year, he could, but I doubt he scores like he did this year again. That line is great but also rode some hot percentages and he's never been that close to the league leaders in other seasons. A late career spike isn't uncommon, but usually there's one year that stands out among the rest. I think '17 was the jump to elite player and this year was the year everything was going right except for games played. I'd predict he falls back to scoring like he did in '17, which isn't Art Ross level.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
1) He needs to play 80+ games.

2) Pastrnak needs to stay on his line.

3) Both Pastrank and Bergeron need to be healthy all season.

I don't think any of those three things are "favored" to happen.

1) Between suspensions and his physical style of play leading to minor injuries, I doubt he plays every game.

2) Bruins will likely try to break in Bjork or Donato on Bergeron's line next season and get more scoring depth by moving Pastrnak either to Krejci's line or maybe giving him his own line in the middle six.

3) Bergeron is at the age where he is always battling something.

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Seriously, do you think he's talented enough to do so? He was on pace for 103 points this year and he's got 178 points in his last 148 regular season games.

I was thinking of MSL and how similar their career trajectories are and could be. Both are late bloomers. MLS won the Art Ross in his age 29 and 38 seasons.

Do you think he can be productive like MSL late into his 30s? Could he possibly squeak out a Ross or two in the McDavid era?
If Marchand could get a perfect storm situation like MSL got in his age 38 season he could win one. The combination of the lock-out, Stamkos staying healthy, and Crosby getting injured is what ultimately led to MSL winning it in 12-13. If I recall correctly, it took Stamkos and MSL about 3 weeks to catch Crosby after he got injured, and MSL still only beat him by 4 points while playing 12 more games.

Reactions: LiasAndersson

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
If Marchand could get a perfect storm situation like MSL got in his age 38 season he could win one. The combination of the lock-out, Stamkos staying healthy, and Crosby getting injured is what ultimately led to MSL winning it in 12-13. If I recall correctly, it took Stamkos and MSL about 3 weeks to catch Crosby after he got injured, and MSL still only beat him by 4 points while playing 12 more games.

To be fair, outside of Crosby that season, nobody was really going to beat msl and Stamkos. (well, ovechkin had a shot) but they were pretty damn dominant.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
With the way he's scoring it's possible but it wouldn't be a smart bet with so many great players in the league now. You'd have to assume long term injuries to McDavid and probably a few others for it to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad