OT: Coronavirus XXXVII: Where's The Vaccines? We Were Promised Vaccines!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
For me it's a lot more complicated than a yes/no question. I don't support a bolt the door lockdown, but understand that restrictions are required. And everybody and their dog has a different definition of what a lockdown is.
I feel like to a lot of people a lockdown is any restriction that prevents them from doing what they want, where/when/amount of people.

It's definitely a lot more nuanced than yes/no

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Do you honestly think the government wants things to stay closed? This is as pro business, anti lockdown a govt as you will find in this country. We are all frustrated, but I don't get the 'goalposts are changing' talk.
what is hard to understand? first it was about keeping hospitalizations low, then it case numbers, now its variants
hence, it's always something to new scare us

The virus is evolving, our numbers go up and down, things change on a dime. If the govt didn't adapt during an ever changing pandemic, and made recommendations based on the latest information, then I think they'd be doing us a disservice.
then don't have thresholds to meet and get people's hope up

I'm anti lockdown, and I get why they are doing why they are doing, and think it's prudent to see if and where this next wave takes us before loosening things up more. Didn't come this far in the last few months to end up right back to where we were.
how do you know we would?

Reactions: oilers'72

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
Does anyone else kind of just not care anymore?

Like I'm not mad at the government or politicians. I'm not mad at people who break Covid protocols for whatever reason. I'm not even mad at the crazies spreading conspiracies and shit.

I'm just absolutely f***ing done with Covid. Just, done.

My sentiment exactly !

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Not a problem. If you are unable to provide proof of vaccination or antibodies from prior infection, you can stay home while the rest of us travel or attend concerts and other events.

Good luck with that, Rocco Galati in 1998 won a law suit which outlawed mandatory vaccinations in Canada. To the point that businesses can't even implement the policy. To travel people may need it, but if that's the case I won't travel.

You guys have no idea, I've been going all through the mid west US and everything is open and fine. Theres been no huge spikes in North/South Dakota, Iowa, Wyoming, etc... we could literally open up tomorrow and itd be fine.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That public servants are truly useless especially those in healthcare and government
Well, my wife is an OR nurse in that healthcare department, and does a damned fine job to look after people, so I don't think she's useless. If you want to throw trash like that around, i would suggest to look in the mirror for the truly useless ones.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Good luck with that, Rocco Galati in 1998 won a law suit which outlawed mandatory vaccinations in Canada. To the point that businesses can't even implement the policy. To travel people may need it, but if that's the case I won't travel.

You guys have no idea, I've been going all through the mid west US and everything is open and fine. Theres been no huge spikes in North/South Dakota, Iowa, Wyoming, etc... we could literally open up tomorrow and itd be fine.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

You just finished saying you've been all over the mid west U.S. And then say you won't travel. I don't know if you need to travel for work or not, but I'd think that's going to cost you a job potentially at the worst, and at the very least, force you to stay home during those minus 40 nights we enjoy here in February instead of having some sun down south.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

How do you expect to immigrate to Florida without proof of having the full set of vaccination? I had to provide proof of vaccination and have chest x-ray/blood tests to prove I didn't have TB, HIV, etc... when applying for all three of my visas (F1, O1, IR1) to live here.

Chicagoland still has restrictions.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
what is hard to understand? first it was about keeping hospitalizations low, then it case numbers, now its variants
hence, it's always something to new scare us

then don't have thresholds to meet and get people's hope up

how do you know we would?

It's always been about hospitalizations and preventing deaths and serious illnesses. Hasn't changed since the beginning. Case numbers and variants affect all of those. There's a difference between scaring people and protecting them. At times I think they've crossed the line, but right now I don't think they have. Agree to disagree. As for thresholds, it was never just about hospitalizations. Always had other factors in the equation. As for knowing where we will end up, I don't, and neither do you.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Growing Share of Americans Say They Plan To Get a COVID-19 Vaccine – or Already Have

Be interesting how the final numbers playout, but I betcha the numbers that don't get vaccinated are closer to around 30% than 45%.
Down here people are seeing the increased freedom and reduced stress of those who are fully vaccinated. My neighbors are 3.5 weeks after their 2nd shot (both over 70) and have been living the good life for the last 2 weeks - seeing their grandkids, visiting restaurants, having over vaccinated friends, etc... They're giddy every time I talk to them. Their attitude is infectious (no pun intended).

My other neighbors, who were skeptical at first, changed their minds after seeing how life changed for the first couple and that no one is worse for the wear after receiving the vaccines. Just received their first shots this week.

Oct 15, 2008

Dr Raab and his empirical anecdotal evidence have spoken. Hard to argue with that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Down here people are seeing the increased freedom and reduced stress of those who are fully vaccinated. My neighbors are 3.5 weeks after their 2nd shot (both over 70) and have been living the good life for the last 2 weeks - seeing their grandkids, visiting restaurants, having over vaccinated friends, etc... They're giddy every time I talk to them. Their attitude is infectious (no pun intended).

My other neighbors, who were skeptical at first, changed their minds after seeing how life changed for the first couple and that no one is worse for the wear after receiving the vaccines. Just received their first shots this week.
And that is how I see it playing out over time. When folks see that others get the shot and still manage to come out of it alive, and then are able to do things close to normal, I think the anti-vax stat will drop.

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

My grandparents are the same. were completely opposed before but changed their minds and extremely happy they did.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
The opposite is spouting dribble from the MSM. Better to believe their words over your neighbors'.
There's good information to be found through various media sources. You have to be able to filter out the bs from the truth though and a lot of people are not capable of doing that. Yes, the MSM has a narrative to push, but "alternative" news sources are even easier to influence with narratives.

On top of that, people are turning towards facebook echo chambers, or who knows where else and becoming "experts" on infectious diseases. Dunning-Kruger effect in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad