OT: Coronavirus XXXVI: Bat Scratch Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Doctor: "Take this medicine as prescribed until they are all gone."

Patient: "Nah, I saw some expert on T.V. I'm going to take half of them now and then the rest of the bottle four months from now. I'm sure it'll be fine."

Doctor: "It doesn't work that way. You will develop a resistant strain to the antibiotics. That's why we have research-driven rules."

Patient: "Whatever, Doc. They said they don't need no research. I cant afford another prescription in four months. What will the wife say? Tough make-me-look-good decisions need to be made right now."

:biglaugh:

That was hilarious!

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Or the residents and staff of that facility hadn’t had their shots yet, or just had them in the past few days. My mums care home just got their shots last week.
If they haven't had shots yet, or it was still within the 2 week immunization period from the time of their shot, someone or some people got careless, and at this point, that is inexcusable.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If they haven't had shots yet, or it was still within the 2 week immunization period from the time of their shot, someone or some people got careless, and at this point, that is inexcusable.
After all this time I can't believe people still think that being careless is the only way to spread covid.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
To the surprise of no one, the discussion surrounding the Olympic Games (scheduled to commence in Tokyo on July 23) is turning into a total debacle.

The government’s original proposal to the IOC was to allow foreign spectators ‘temporary exemption’ from the 14 day quarantine that all visitors to Japan (and indeed citizens of Japan returning from abroad) have been asked to observe. Predictably that plan went over like a lead balloon among residents of Tokyo who understandably didn’t really want millions of visitors flocking to the capital, riding the trains, eating and drinking in the pubs etc under the current situation. The proposal called for the use of some sort of smart phone tracking app (as yet undeveloped and predicted to cost upward of $70 million - the very definition of throwing good money after bad) to monitor. Citizens were naturally skeptical of that plan given how poorly similar programs have performed in far less densely populated countries.

Tokyo and neighbouring prefectures Kanagawa and Chiba have been under ‘state of emergency’ since January. We find out this weekend if the order will be lifted or extended. Admittedly this is a ‘state of emergency’ in name only and doesn’t really affect anyone’s daily life (nothing like the sort of restrictions Canadians have been living under), but it seems very odd to be discussing the possibility of holding an event like the Olympic Games while citizens are being told that we are living in a ‘state of emergency.

Japan is the last of the G7 nations to rollout vaccines. The first were administered on Feb 18 and thus far only health care workers have received. The ‘plan’ is to begin vaccinating the elderly ‘sometime in April’. But since Japan is not producing the vaccine domestically, and is entirely dependant on the EU for shipments, it’s seems unlikely that Japan will have vaccinated any significant portion of its population by the time the Games are scheduled to start.

Faced with this reality the Tokyo Olympic Committee held a meeting with the IOC yesterday at which it was suggested that fans may not be able to travel to the Games after all. Or only limited contingents from each country will be permitted. This raises the possibility that the Games may actually proceed in empty venues.

Not one single person I have spoken to wants the Games to go ahead. Most of the media is against holding the Games (without actually stating that opinion too strongly). The IOC is offering the usual lip service about ‘protecting the integrity of the Games’ and ‘safeguarding the participation of all the athletes and the Japanese public’.

We all know that money talks and Japan has invested billions in this event. Without spectators and their spinoff dollars is it even worth holding the Olympics this year. Why not postpone for one more year? People can’t visit sick relatives in hospital, attend the birth of their own child, give their old granny a hug, but we’re going ahead with the Olympics because ...?

Tokyo Olympic spectators may be limited to Japan residents

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Or the residents and staff of that facility hadn’t had their shots yet, or just had them in the past few days. My mums care home just got their shots last week.
Ontario has had 5 LTC residents test positive in total over the last 5 days. This is in contrast to 150+ per day at the peak. I am glad to hear that your mom got her shot. They really do seem to make a difference.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
No argument that we've dropped the vaccine ball, but the US teams have been the ones who have caused all the games to be postponed, not the Cdn teams. Problems on both sides of the border.
I honestly would not say they dropped any ball (only talking delivery of doses, not distribution). US, the by far most powerful country in the world, Israel, betting all-in on Pfizer (and giving medical data that hardly any of our countries would accept to Pfizer) and UK, having AstraZeneca in their backyard, are ahead. The rest are more or less the same.

Now Canada, EU and UK are going to India to get more. This imo is folly, we pay more but we are taking it from other countries. 130 countries have still not gotten a single dose.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Ontario has had 5 LTC residents test positive in total over the last 5 days. This is in contrast to 150+ per day at the peak. I am glad to hear that your mom got her shot. They really do seem to make a difference.

EDITORIAL: Dear Mayor Tory -- this is not acceptable | Toronto Sun

"The number of daily deaths recorded has greatly decreased. Now that most long-term care residents have been vaccinated, we are seeing great improvements in these numbers."

It's obvious why those in power made it near impossible to sue their buddies who profit from old vulnerable people and then leave them to die because of a profit margin.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
After all this time I can't believe people still think that being careless is the only way to spread covid.
My wife works in the healthcare system, and tells me that is the #1 issue there. And when you work in an LTC facility, based on what we now know and the existing vulnerabilities there, unbelievable extra care has to be taken. No one does it on purpose, but one tiny slip up, and bam, you have an entire facility consumed.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The latest numbers...The article really needs to say the future of wealthy seniors looks good...

Corbella: The future of senior care in Canada looks brighter for boomers | Calgary Sun

"According to Health Canada figures, 96 per cent of the 21,234 Canadians who have died from the pandemic as of Feb. 19, are 60 years of age and older. The NIA’s Long Term Care COVID Tracker shows that most of those COVID deaths — 69 per cent — took place in LTC homes or other congregate living homes for the elderly."

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sounds like that facility only got vaccinated very recently, not enough time for the vaccine to give protection. Hopefully it did give their immune system a bit of a head start though and no deaths result.

That could be the saving grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad