OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
FTR, the Vaccine distribution here in New York (of all places) is garbage so certain parts of the U.S. shouldn't be commended for their vaccine efforts.
They had a good supply about a month back, a lot of 75 and over folks got their first shot then they moved the eligibility to 65 and over which my mother now qualifies for and as a result are short on supply (duh, what did they expect when they expanded the age eligibles?), they close down some of the vaccine centers, put the appointments on hold for those 75 and over awaiting their 2nd shot and it's virtually impossible for non essential 65 and overs to get a shot now unless you wait for like 2 days on the phone trying to make an appointment, are rich or know somebody on the inside.

Now my mother is getting increasingly frustrated because she thought her vaccination was within reach and her anxiety is growing because of this fear mongering being put out about the new strain and how much more contagious it is. I know it's the reality but it's always doomsday garbage when you turn on the news and my mother, among many others, are sick of being scared. FTR, I'm not particularly worried because I take all the precautions but my mother who has other health issues as is and is anxious even in the best of times is going through a rough time and it's a helpless feeling not being able to help her. Mind boggling that we live in a world like this now and when we have this "miracle" vaccine (s), they can't even be distributed properly even in a place like New York City which has all the resources to get it done.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and the run on sentence in the first paragraph but I just had a long talk with my mother about it trying to calm her down and... well.... this just sucks.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
FTR, the Vaccine distribution here in New York (of all places) is garbage so certain parts of the U.S. shouldn't be commended for their vaccine efforts.

Dude, I'm sure that sucks for you and your mom, but most posers here are from Edmonton, Alberta. Vaccinations stopped entirely last week when our supplies ran out. New York State 10.92 doses have been administered per 100 people. In Alberta only 2.5 doses per 100 people have been administered.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dude, I'm sure that sucks for you and your mom, but most posers here are from Edmonton, Alberta. Vaccinations stopped entirely last week when our supplies ran out. New York State 10.92 doses have been administered per 100 people. In Alberta only 2.5 doses per 100 people have been administered.

Dude,

Only Nucks fans are posers..;)

Posing as fans..

Reactions: oilers'72

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Did I say it didn't suck for you guys?

I'm just speaking from my experience, I'm not making comparisons.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I figured hospitalization numbers would be close to the 450 level before we even got to the initial restriction phase on Feb 8. ;) Based on the 4.4% hospitalization rate, and taking the lag into consideration, should be down to around 300-325 within another 10 days, as long as daily case numbers remain similar.

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
As a person who has strong ties to both Canada and the US, it's disappointing to see the new administration continue the "America First" policy for vaccines at the expense of its closest ally, which (as the article highlights) hamstrung Canada's vaccine supply efforts at the end of 2020. That being said, I have witnessed first hand how well the "America First" policy plays down here, even among moderates and swing voters, so I can understand why they are continuing it on a hot button topic because unfortunately it's always an election cycle down here.

It will take a few years, but it appears one result of this pandemic will be that Canada's ability to manufacture vaccines domestically will be restored. Canada used to have a domestic vaccine manufacturing capacity; however, it was inefficient (even for the '80s) and required modernization. The Mulroney government began the process of selling off the assets rather than upgrading them. The dismantling of the domestic capabilities continued with subsequent administrations (both Liberal and PC) - because it was easy and saved money in the short-term? The H1N1 scare in 2009 should have caused an immediate reassessment by the Harper government about whether Canada should be dependent upon external entities for vaccine manufacturing; they did nothing substantial. Nonetheless, just because Harper dropped the ball doesn't absolve Trudeau from not correcting an obvious error over the 5 years he was in office prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

I agree with you for the most part.

The 2009 Swine Flu epidemic may not have been an oppourtunity for vaccine development or even PPE production to be done here, though. The first cases in the US were found in mid-April 2009. By early October, vaccines were being distributed. In the end, the US ordered 229M doses. But only 91 million were administered, with much of the rest put into storage, sent to other countries and 71M destroyed.

In Canada, 6.6M doses. But only 428 people died.

As for PPE, I don't recall anyone wearing masks, using sanitizers to any great extent and no social distancing. No national or state lockdowns. Only some counties and school districts doing lockdowns of schools. Anyone diagnosed with a serious bout was put into an oxygen tent. I recall that things were so lax that a Detroit player got sick during a game and was taken to hospital (he recovered). But the rink wasn't cleared, there was no mass quarantine and the game went on.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
As a person who has strong ties to both Canada and the US, it's disappointing to see the new administration continue the "America First" policy for vaccines at the expense of its closest ally, which (as the article highlights) hamstrung Canada's vaccine supply efforts at the end of 2020. That being said, I have witnessed first hand how well the "America First" policy plays down here, even among moderates and swing voters, so I can understand why they are continuing it on a hot button topic because unfortunately it's always an election cycle down here.

It will take a few years, but it appears one result of this pandemic will be that Canada's ability to manufacture vaccines domestically will be restored. Canada used to have a domestic vaccine manufacturing capacity; however, it was inefficient (even for the '80s) and required modernization. The Mulroney government began the process of selling off the assets rather than upgrading them. The dismantling of the domestic capabilities continued with subsequent administrations (both Liberal and PC) - because it was easy and saved money in the short-term? The H1N1 scare in 2009 should have caused an immediate reassessment by the Harper government about whether Canada should be dependent upon external entities for vaccine manufacturing; they did nothing substantial. Nonetheless, just because Harper dropped the ball doesn't absolve Trudeau from not correcting an obvious error over the 5 years he was in office prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Good post Frank. There are so many other instances as well where both liberal and conservative governments knee-cap something to cut costs in the short term, only for it to end up costing exponentially more to replace or upgrade anyways.

It makes sense though, how could they have convinced the population to support domestic vaccine manufacturing when we haven't had an issue like this for over a century.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Have you guys heard of people having really messed up tastes and smells well after getting Covid? People's coffee tasting like gasoline, wine tasting or smelling like gasoline, etc. Things people love now being detested. Covid messes with that stuff after as well. Can be like that for up to 6 months. That must suckk

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good post Frank. There are so many other instances as well where both liberal and conservative governments knee-cap something to cut costs in the short term, only for it to end up costing exponentially more to replace or upgrade anyways.

It makes sense though, how could they have convinced the population to support domestic vaccine manufacturing when we haven't had an issue like this for over a century.

Have they not been paying attention to SARS and MERS? We have had a couple of really bad influenza's in the last 100 years as well. Some would look at it like "well we haven't had one forever so we can get away with it". For me it's (we're on borrowed time and this shit could hit at any time and we need to be prepared).

The problem is that our governments piss away money on a lot of foolish crap instead of important things. If anyone thinks that no country is out there working on biological weapons they are likely mistaken. Imagine if something with a 50% mortality rate was modified and unleashed? Then we react to it like this and have all of our PPE shipped to China ahead of time? Yeah, not pretty.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I guess they really wouldn't like this then.

DynamicImageHandler_eb3879d1-9c22-4826-8959-1587ea0fa7f8_2000x.jpg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Have you guys heard of people having really messed up tastes and smells well after getting Covid? People's coffee tasting like gasoline, wine tasting or smelling like gasoline, etc. Things people love now being detested. Covid messes with that stuff after as well. Can be like that for up to 6 months. That must suckk
My ex wife's cooking tasted like burned shit. I imagine it still does.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I was asking about that taste/smell thing because I know of 2 people who had tis happen to them 2/3 months after getting Covid and not having any symptoms while having Covid.

It's basically some sort of nerve damage done from Covid. People can get it after other infections too. Makes a lot of food revolting to smell, never mind eat.

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad