OT: Coronavirus XX : Here Comes Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Sure just like your kids watching the banks reposes everything you own
Material items can be replaced. A parent not so much. Suicide is never the answer and I really hope that the blasé tone of these posts is not the way you would deal with such a situation in real life. Everyone suffers from depression and down times in life. Some folks can push through it, but others need assistance. Please please please don’t shrug and turn away if you have anyone in your life who is struggling. The support of a friend can make all the difference.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
As I said, I think she's just a lacky for Kenny. There is a growing number of people in Alberta upset with her leadership now. A stark contrast to how they felt about her in March/Apr.
I think we’ve learned a lot about the people responsible for health care policies on regional, national and global levels. They aren’t nearly as prepared or organized as they should be and by and large they lack the courage to take difficult decisions. I expect the leadership responsible for determining policies that govern health care to be decisive and to act within the spirit of the Hippocratic oath. I don’t live in Alberta so I haven’t been following Hinshaw’s performance other than what has been posted here, but I think it’s fair to say that on a national and a global level many (most?) have dithered, contradicted themselves and one another, and allowed themselves to be swayed by political and financial considerations. On the whole it’s been quite an appalling performance that inspires no confidence for the next time a global health emergency comes along.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yes I definitely dont trust Kenny and his intentions. Really who does? You?

Are you disregarding the impacts of covid deaths and the thousands that are suffering from long term/potential permanent effects of this. For all we know they could spiral into a depression becuase of the symptoms and commit suicide too.

where did I imply that I was disregarding anything? You’re really going out on a limb there in an attempt to justify how little you actually care about anyone suffering from the effects of Covid shutdowns. That’s pretty sad.

Reactions: oilers'72

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
where did I imply that I was disregarding anything? You’re really going out on a limb there in an attempt to justify how little you actually care about anyone suffering from the effects of Covid shutdowns. That’s pretty sad.

And where am i saying, lockdowns and shutdowns are the only way. I have been repeating that we need to better enforce and add rules/restrictions to better deal with the rise in cases. Things are getting a bit sloppy, complacent and lax and it's leading to unnecessary spread.
I never said I didn't care about the effects of covid "shutdowns" on people. You assume. Plus we're not in a shutdown. We haven't been for months now.
I really don't see anything wrong with being somewhat concerned over the big rise in cases since Aug and just wanting better enforcement of bylaws and tweeking and adding of the bylaws to better prevent spread. I think you probably agree with that so what the heck are we even arguing about?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I think we’ve learned a lot about the people responsible for health care policies on regional, national and global levels. They aren’t nearly as prepared or organized as they should be and by and large they lack the courage to take difficult decisions. I expect the leadership responsible for determining policies that govern health care to be decisive and to act within the spirit of the Hippocratic oath. I don’t live in Alberta so I haven’t been following Hinshaw’s performance other than what has been posted here, but I think it’s fair to say that on a national and a global level many (most?) have dithered, contradicted themselves and one another, and allowed themselves to be swayed by political and financial considerations. On the whole it’s been quite an appalling performance that inspires no confidence for the next time a global health emergency comes along.

I agree. It's been a frustrating gong show by leaders of the world. There are mixed messages all over the place. The thing is we honestly have no idea who's right or wrong or in between or swayed by financial/political considerations and i'm sure they themselves also don't really know. My point is i think it might be better to err on the side of caution and try to do a better job to reduce spread. If there are a bunch of medical professionals out there basically coming out saying this, it might be prudent to heed their word at this point. I don't know why some people think that actually enforcing bylaws or tightening them up by tweeking with them to be a bit more restrictive or at least clearer is such a crazy notion?

If we continue to allow people to be complacent and lax with the rules, it's just going to make it harder for them to actually change when the time comes to actually tighten things up. What's the point of bylaws if noone enforces them or there are no consequences for breaking them?

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And where am i saying, lockdowns and shutdowns are the only way. I have been repeating that we need to better enforce and add rules/restrictions to better deal with the rise in cases. Things are getting a bit sloppy, complacent and lax and it's leading to unnecessary spread.
I never said I didn't care about the effects of covid "shutdowns" on people. You assume. Plus we're not in a shutdown. We haven't been for months now.
I really don't see anything wrong with being somewhat concerned over the big rise in cases since Aug and just wanting better enforcement of bylaws and tweeking and adding of the bylaws to better prevent spread. I think you probably agree with that so what the heck are we even arguing about?

I didn’t assume anything. You were very clear in your dismissal of the suicide and overdose increases, and how you didn’t see how they could be attributed to the job loses and economic devastation we have seen as a result of Covid and the associated shutdowns/restrictions. It’s clear that you haven’t suffered financially and have likely benefitted financially due to Covid, as you have made it clear you don’t understand the other side of things.

So who should be micro managing citizens like you’re suggesting? Major cities have mask bylaws, kids sporting events have AHS monitors everywhere looking for violations, stores have increased security and greeters to help with sanitizer and masks. What else would you like?

It’s also clear that your initial criticisms about Hinshaw being useless and a pawn of Kenny was really just you complaining and trying to make things political.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

One of the only leaders who has been quite consistent and level headed IMO is Hinshaw. For the most part she’s laid out a plan and followed it, making minor tweaks here and there as the knowledge about Covid changes.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I love if statements. If a meteor destroys the earth will it be good or bad. The graph isn’t very illustrative as the axis resolution is determined by the totals. You need to go to daily to provide any information. As to, will it be a bad flu season. The answer is likely no. The behaviours which limit cpvid19, should be effective with the flu.

Ideally, but I guess Im putting into question is the behaviours that limit covid. I believe it's been slipping for some time now and needs a bit of a reset and refresher/upgrade. The only measure people are widely following is masking in public indoor places and that helps for sure but people aren't really paying heed to gathering restrictions etc much anymore. Even those who strictly followed rules/protocol a couple months ago are now slipping and breaking some of these rules. It's covid fatigue, and it's happening at a pretty dangerous time with fall/winter here/around the corner.

In the first 3 months we were "locked down" we had 13 deaths and a couple hundred cases. 3 months after moving to phase 1 and 2 we've hit 800 cases and 70 deaths in Edmonton. We might be setting ourselves up for a bad next 3-6 months of fall/winter.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I went shopping at the Walmart in Leduc and I was told to put on a mask or else leave.

Walmart has that as a store policy at all their stores. All the towns outside of Edmonton do not require masks right now, and actually it feels weird, and I wear one anyway. So that if I am shopping in some town I prefer it be walmart where everybody is wearing a mask. I've never seen any of the staff not wearing a mask at any of the stores. They've been pretty solid in that regard.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Millwoods now with 90 cases nearly taking over the provincial lead in dumb. Northeast has just 2 more cases than Millwoods.

Edmonton close to 800 cases, not doing great. 53% of active cases in the province.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I didn’t assume anything. You were very clear in your dismissal of the suicide and overdose increases, and how you didn’t see how they could be attributed to the job loses and economic devastation we have seen as a result of Covid and the associated shutdowns/restrictions. It’s clear that you haven’t suffered financially and have likely benefitted financially due to Covid, as you have made it clear you don’t understand the other side of things.

So who should be micro managing citizens like you’re suggesting? Major cities have mask bylaws, kids sporting events have AHS monitors everywhere looking for violations, stores have increased security and greeters to help with sanitizer and masks. What else would you like?

It’s also clear that your initial criticisms about Hinshaw being useless and a pawn of Kenny was really just you complaining and trying to make things political.

I just think itf we don't start getting a better handle on covid it may have an even bigger/worse impact on people already affected by covid/job loses eventually. How will better enforcing and upgrading restrictions hurt these people more? I argue it will help some in the long run KEEP their jobs because we will avoid shutdowns or covid closures etc. Really I have no idea what we're bickering about.

Well I'm not sure I agree with Hinshaw's current stance. that's ok isn't it... to not agree with it. And yes, I do believe that Kenny has influence over what she mandates. I don't think that's too farfetched. I mean does anyone trust Shandro?.... who's likely Hinshaw's superior.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I went shopping at the Walmart in Leduc and I was told to put on a mask or else leave.

Corporate Policy

Material items can be replaced. A parent not so much. Suicide is never the answer and I really hope that the blasé tone of these posts is not the way you would deal with such a situation in real life. Everyone suffers from depression and down times in life. Some folks can push through it, but others need assistance. Please please please don’t shrug and turn away if you have anyone in your life who is struggling. The support of a friend can make all the difference.

Naw I watched 5 friends lose their fathers during the 80's when the banks were rolling up to take over the house and punt the families out.

That best one is when a friends dad did it via suicide by cop.

Like I said Covid doesn't have shit on whats about to happen rolling in to november

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Corporate Policy

Naw I watched 5 friends lose their fathers during the 80's when the banks were rolling up to take over the house and punt the families out.

That best one is when a friends dad did it via suicide by cop.

Like I said Covid doesn't have shit on whats about to happen rolling in to november

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Millwoods now with 90 cases nearly taking over the provincial lead in dumb. Northeast has just 2 more cases than Millwoods.

Edmonton close to 800 cases, not doing great. 53% of active cases in the province.

Just shy of 400 confirmed new cases in Edmonton alone this work week from Monday to Friday.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I just think itf we don't start getting a better handle on covid it may have an even bigger/worse impact on people already affected by covid/job loses eventually. How will better enforcing and upgrading restrictions hurt these people more? I argue it will help some in the long run KEEP their jobs because we will avoid shutdowns or covid closures etc. Really I have no idea what we're bickering about.

Well I'm not sure I agree with Hinshaw's current stance. that's ok isn't it... to not agree with it. And yes, I do believe that Kenny has influence over what she mandates. I don't think that's too farfetched. I mean does anyone trust Shandro?.... who's likely Hinshaw's superior.

thanks for basically admitting that everything you’re saying is politically motivated...and that you have no idea what you’re bickering about.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Just shy of 400 confirmed new cases in Edmonton alone this work week from Monday to Friday.

notice how they change how they report new cases in the media as it suits their agenda? It used to be daily, then it went to every few days, now it’s being reported as a M-F number? Gotta make those numbers look big!!

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
thanks for basically admitting that everything you’re saying is politically motivated...and that you have no idea what you’re bickering about.

you're so out to lunch man. "politically motivated". gimme a break. It's not MOTIVATED by politics but I certainly take into account who's in charge and running the show. whether or not it's UCP or NDP in charge, I would not agree with the the chief medical officer's current stance. It's motivated by preferring that we take a bit better action to reduce cases.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
notice how they change how they report new cases in the media as it suits their agenda? It used to be daily, then it went to every few days, now it’s being reported as a M-F number? Gotta make those numbers look big!!

lol, "agenda" gimme a break. you need to settle down dude. and ya it is a significant rise in numbers that could play a deadly role in months to come. seriously, what's it to you. I'm a bit concerned about this rise and rightfully so. You're not. good for you. You're not a "sheep" right? good for you brah.

and no, the media didn't change how they reported it. I just quickly added it up myself. sooo, no the media isn't out to f*** your sh** up.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Daily new confirmed cases in Edm trending up. (Blue chart)

fy18powx6dp51.jpg

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

It represents an upgrade in data quality. The rolling average for numerous days is used purposefully by most health organizations to account for natural fluctuations:

COVID-19 Daily Rolling Average Case and Death Rates | HealthData.gov

The major difference in this dataset is that the cases, deaths, and corresponding rates per 100,000 population are not those for the single date indicated. They are rolling averages for the seven-day period ending on that date. This rolling average is used to account for fluctuations that may occur in the data, such as fewer cases being reported on weekends, and small numbers. The intent is to give a more representative view of the ongoing COVID-19 experience, less affected by what is essentially noise in the data.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad