OT: Coronavirus XX : Here Comes Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So I'm assuming Spruce Grove doesn't require masks? I was there a couple days ago, man did people look at me weird when I was wearing a mask.

I'm just too lazy to walk back to the vehicle so I figured I'd just wear the thing when I went shopping.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This is such a vague statement. What does that even mean. How are they measuring that?

Hinshaw is looking at hospital numbers. Until it starts getting close to the number that she fears she isn't going to change anything.

And yes the message is to not be lulled into a false sense of security, but at this time we aren't exactly at the place where we should be fear mongering day in and day out

I also don't get how blanket statements that are being used for Canada or all of North America are exactly relevant. Every City and Province is different

“Get ahead of it” is the new “flatten the curve”

it’s a constantly moving goal post, because getting ahead of it cannot be measured

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Pretty sure in Alberta our suicides are already higher than Covid. Last year we had something like 550 and apparently those numbers are going up this year. We are at 250 or so Covid deaths.

Opioid deaths are also up and I'm not sure how those get accounted for.
I was talking in general terms, not Alberta. Where I live fatalities from suicide+opioid is not even remotely close to covid19 deaths.

Suicide and opioid deaths are health emergencies though, that is for sure. Very serious issues, especially in NA. Not sure if we should be blaming covid19 for it all though, it was already here before.

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Been paying attention since day 1. You’re still repeating the same fear mongering being pushed by those with political agendas. You’re only paying attention to what aligns with your political bias. Your complete disregard for the other fallout effects on the mental health of people proves this. You don’t care about the people...you care about the politics. If you cared about the people you wouldn’t act so ignorant towards the huge suicide and overdose increases since the lockdowns and restrictions.

lol, what political agenda? I'm just concerned about the increasing numbers and how it might get out of control and start really f***ing sh** up if we are allowing it to grow. We are not in a lockdown currently and yet the opioid deaths and suicides are continuing to roll in. So what do you propose, completely throw caution to the wind and head to phase 3?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
This is such a vague statement. What does that even mean. How are they measuring that?

Hinshaw is looking at hospital numbers. Until it starts getting close to the number that she fears she isn't going to change anything.

And yes the message is to not be lulled into a false sense of security, but at this time we aren't exactly at the place where we should be fear mongering day in and day out

I also don't get how blanket statements that are being used for Canada or all of North America are exactly relevant. Every City and Province is different

I've said over and over what I mean. Get ahead of it... actually enforcing bylaws, harsher penalties, tweek and add to rules/restrictions. Ie what i said about hockey.... spread out ice times, open 4 dressing rooms etc etc etc. change rules about gatherings etc. little things. not shutdowns.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
lol, what political agenda? I'm just concerned about the increasing numbers and how it might get out of control and start really f***ing sh** up if we are allowing it to grow. We are not in a lockdown currently and yet the opioid deaths and suicides are continuing to roll in. So what do you propose, completely throw caution to the wind and head to phase 3?

you’re clearly not interested in an honest conversation. You’ve made your political agenda clear by making your hate of Kenny clear without backing up anything you’re saying. You’ve completely disregarded the suicide and overdose increases as you clearly don’t understand how they relate to unemployment and people losing everything financially. It’s clear you really have nothing to add to this conversations besides misrepresentation of peoples posts, putting words in their mouth and spreading fear without backing up any of your claims. I’m out.

Reactions: oilers'72

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I was talking in general terms, not Alberta. Where I live fatalities from suicide+opioid is not even remotely close to covid19 deaths.

Suicide and opioid deaths are health emergencies though, that is for sure. Very serious issues, especially in NA. Not sure if we should be blaming covid19 for it all though, it was already here before.
No ones is blaming all of it on Covid, no one is being that obtuse. But the increase in both suicides and overdoses directly correlates to Covid.

Reactions: Dorian2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think mask wearing and limiting huge gatherings of people specifically in indoor areas is about all you can really do and most people are already complying with that.

The main thing now is preventing people from bringing in the virus from outside the country, specifically the USA where it's everywhere. So that border probably stays shut for a long time.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
So I'm assuming Spruce Grove doesn't require masks? I was there a couple days ago, man did people look at me weird when I was wearing a mask.

I'm just too lazy to walk back to the vehicle so I figured I'd just wear the thing when I went shopping.

I went shopping at the Walmart in Leduc and I was told to put on a mask or else leave.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think mask wearing and limiting huge gatherings of people specifically in indoor areas is about all you can really do and most people are already complying with that.

The main thing now is preventing people from bringing in the virus from outside the country, specifically the USA where it's everywhere. So that border probably stays shut for a long time.
Not exactly thrilled they are allowing euro flights. I was happy to hear they will be doing saliva tests, but it's a trial and they didn't really say when they'll start other than the fall

Reactions: LaGu

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I went shopping at the Walmart in Leduc and I was told to put on a mask or else leave.
It's simple enough for me. I always have a couple reuseable in the vehicle as well as I'm sure I still have a dozen from tim's in there somewhere.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
you’re clearly not interested in an honest conversation. You’ve made your political agenda clear by making your hate of Kenny clear without backing up anything you’re saying. You’ve completely disregarded the suicide and overdose increases as you clearly don’t understand how they relate to unemployment and people losing everything financially. It’s clear you really have nothing to add to this conversations besides misrepresentation of peoples posts, putting words in their mouth and spreading fear without backing up any of your claims. I’m out.

Yes I definitely dont trust Kenny and his intentions. Really who does? You?

Are you disregarding the impacts of covid deaths and the thousands that are suffering from long term/potential permanent effects of this. For all we know they could spiral into a depression becuase of the symptoms and commit suicide too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not exactly thrilled they are allowing euro flights. I was happy to hear they will be doing saliva tests, but it's a trial and they didn't really say when they'll start other than the fall

I think they can make some compassionate grounds exceptions, like for people that have family/children somewhere else, but yeah for those cases you should have to be tested when you come back (and pay for that test).

Reactions: joestevens29

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
No ones is blaming all of it on Covid, no one is being that obtuse. But the increase in both suicides and overdoses directly correlates to Covid.
I hear you, but again I am talking general here. So sorry for the effects of this in Alberta, it's a f***ing tradegy. Where I am, in the early epicentre of the pandemic (Italy) we've seen fewer fatalities to non-covid causes than in normal years. I think suicides/opioid fatalities will be up, but we are talking a factor of 10-100 less than covid. Here we have less than 4000 suicides/opioids fatalities per year, and this was a country hit really hard in economic crash in 2007/08.

If you are staying regional in your argument, i.e. Alberta, then I cannot really argue with you, because you know much more than I do. I hope things improve for you (generally) and that you stay safe, because it sounds bad, mostly for reasons non-covid-related.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
as is their right

their business, their rules
I would've thought Wal-Marts across the Edmonton area would get a little more strict after that outbreak on CGY trail(?). My Auntie was saying the one in Capilano was a shit show. Workers not wearing masks and talking to each other rather close, not cleaning the counters by the til, and using the same rag to wipe down numerous carts.

She left her stuff when she got to the til and phoned and complained to the manager when she got home. Whether he/she does anything or not, who knows.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hear you, but again I am talking general here. So sorry for the effects of this in Alberta, it's a f***ing tradegy. Where I am, in the early epicentre of the pandemic (Italy) we've seen fewer fatalities to non-covid causes than in normal years. I think suicides/opioid fatalities will be up, but we are talking a factor of 10-100 less than covid. Here we have less than 4000 suicides/opioids fatalities per year, and this was a country hit really in economic crash in 2007/08.

If you are staying regional in your argument, i.e. Alberta, then I cannot really argue with you, because you know much more than I do. I hope things improve for you (generally) and that you stay safe, because it sounds bad, mostly for reasons non-covid-related.
I think this is the issue as a whole though. What is happening in Edmonton doesn't necessarily even mean it should or shouldn't in Calgary. Then when you start looking at larger scales across the country, continent and the world it becomes even more different.

Each region needs to do what is best for them.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think this is the issue as a whole though. What is happening in Edmonton doesn't necessarily even mean it should or shouldn't in Calgary. Then when you start looking at larger scales across the country, continent and the world it becomes even more different.

Each region needs to do what is best for them.
Definitely, I have been annoyed with the macro-approach to this all along. Disaster/risk management is and should almost always be regional.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Every day, more and more people are voicing their opinions regarding this shift to a new world. We have been misled from the beginning; and during that time governments and agencies from across the globe are exploring: UBI, digital dollars, mandatory vaccination, digial passports, arresting citizens who speak out against their narrative.

We were told "we have to flatten the curve." I said from the very beginning, no matter how much we obey, a second wave and vaccination were inevitable. The emphasis is now on positive -and they aren't fully accurate- cases because hospitalization and death numbers aren't supporting their agenda.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I'm providing some resources about supply-side economics and related taxation. We have evidence and studies which reveal corporate tax cuts are not a significant benefit for the economy. The vast majority of corporations don't create jobs with tax cuts and bailouts, they look towards stock buybacks to please investors and increase portfolios.

The province was already facing a rough economy before the whole COVID situation. Now we're looking at budget cuts for health care, education, and disability, etc to try to buy time until these tax cuts finally pay off! Any day now, right?
There are much more efficient ways of altering taxes, which have proven to be effective in significantly stimulating the economy, unlike these joke corporate handouts.

How Rising Deficits, Huge Loopholes and Small Family Gains Plague Tax Reform - Knowledge@Wharton
"Tax legislation speeding through Congress not only will increase the deficit and provide meager gains for most low- and middle-income groups, it may also open up huge loopholes for businesses to sidestep taxes, says Kent Smetters, Wharton professor of business economics and public policy, and faculty director of the Penn Wharton Budget Model (PWBM). “The additional growth we project is only about one-ninth of the growth that would be required for this tax plan to actually pay for itself.” And when the White House Council on Academic Advisors says that the proposed tax changes will raise yearly family income $4,000- $9,000 on average, Smetters calls such claims “political statements. No credible model produces that result.”

Does Trickle-Down Economics Work?
Trickle-down economics says that the Reagan and Bush tax cuts should have helped people at all income levels. Instead, the opposite occurred. Income inequality worsened. Between 1979 and 2005, after-tax household income rose 6% for the bottom fifth. That sounds great until you see what happened for the top fifth. Their income increased by 80%. The top 1% saw their income triple. Instead of trickling down, it appears that prosperity trickled up. (Income Inequality Hits Record Levels, New CBO Data Show:)

https://www.jct.gov/publications.html?func=startdown&id=5045
We estimate that this proposal would increase the level of output (as measured by Gross Domestic Product) by about 0.8 percent on average over the 10- year budget window. That increase in income would increase revenues, relative to the conventional estimate of a loss of $1,414 billion (provided in JCX-59-17) by $458 billion over that period.

Economists skeptical of jobs promised by corporate tax cuts | Edmonton Journal

Anyways I much prefer to shitpost than make these kind of posts, so I'm out!
Explain Hong Kong or Singapore or Ireland. Economists say what they are paid to say.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
But the thing is the virus can get out of control so quickly and you can't act when numbers start to rise in hospitals... like experts say, by that time it's too late. You have to watch the trend in the covid numbers and get ahead of it. IF the cold/flu spreads like wildfire in the fall/winter.... what will happen with covid in the mix?.... It's setting up to be a potential disaster. Hopefully not but I feel we need to be a bit more cautious.
I love if statements. If a meteor destroys the earth will it be good or bad. The graph isn’t very illustrative as the axis resolution is determined by the totals. You need to go to daily to provide any information. As to, will it be a bad flu season. The answer is likely no. The behaviours which limit cpvid19, should be effective with the flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad