OT: Coronavirus Thread (MOD Warning Post #19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
"Cohorts".

I just recd an email from my school that one of my 9 year old's cohorts tested positive but the positive was from over 5 days ago so she doesnt have to quarantine, just keep an eye out for symptoms.

thought "cohorts" was funny, bunch of 4th grade cohorts

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Testing .. can be difficult. I started feeling sick, got a test came back negative so i kept going to work a bit sick then a week later got real sick, took test and it was negative.

Was sleeping and coughing all over my wife and she got real sick.

We both went to get tested, I was positive and she was negative.

No way that second test was a negative.

No way I tested positive on my 3rd test but she, same symptoms, was negative.

9 year old started to get sick, had all the symptoms but by then (december 18-20 ish/) we had a surge and you couldnt get tested anywhere.

All the tests I took were at testing sites or an urgent care. Not the at home tests.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Testing .. can be difficult. I started feeling sick, got a test came back negative so i kept going to work a bit sick then a week later got real sick, took test and it was negative.

Was sleeping and coughing all over my wife and she got real sick.

We both went to get tested, I was positive and she was negative.

No way that second test was a negative.

No way I tested positive on my 3rd test but she, same symptoms, was negative.

9 year old started to get sick, had all the symptoms but by then (december 18-20 ish/) we had a surge and you couldnt get tested anywhere.

All the tests I took were at testing sites or an urgent care. Not the at home tests.

if the tests aren’t accurate we’re so f’ed….hope you’re all recovering. My mom had a similar 2 tests negative, bad cold-like symptoms, 3rd test positive…..that one not an at home test. First 2 were.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
if the tests aren’t accurate we’re so f’ed….hope you’re all recovering. My mom had a similar 2 tests negative, bad cold-like symptoms, 3rd test positive…..that one not an at home test. First 2 were.

I think a lot depends on the quality of the sample. Very easy to not get the swabbing correct. Especially when trying to test a screaming, kicking 3 year old. Don't ask me how I know.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't want to gloat about it. Unvaxxed people are making up the biggest proportion of the mortality stats by far, with vaxxed people who die almost always being old and in very bad health.

It's tragic that so many people are dying for no reason. But you can't force people to do the right thing and eventually you have to move on.

I'm not gloating about people who do the right thing and still get sick or die, but rather people who openly mock doing the right thing, who openly reject actual science and instead listen to fanatics and amateurs, who get sick and die. Or in this case someone who actually wanted to get Covid. She deserves no pity.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not gloating about people who do the right thing and still get sick or die, but rather people who openly mock doing the right thing, who openly reject actual science and instead listen to fanatics and amateurs, who get sick and die. Or in this case someone who actually wanted to get Covid. She deserves no pity.

I don't pity her. She's a grown adult who played stupid games and won the ultimate stupid prize.

I'm thinking more of her family who DID do the right thing, knew she was wrong, and had no power to stop it. Imagine having your mother die from a disease you gave her, because of online brainwashing.

I have family members who occupy various points along the spectrum on this topic and I don't want them to die because of some asshole's online disinfo crusade. Probably a common tragedy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And right on cue just a few minutes ago I was informed another one of my relatives is probably about to die from COVID.

He's super SUPER religious (think bible thumping foreign missionary, former cult, opposed to modern medicine, etc) so I'm guessing 99.9% chance he isn't vaccinated. Plus he has a degenerative disease making things much worse (already into pneumonia). Camped out in an overcrowded ER (must be dire if he's relenting and going there).

He's going to leave a very large family behind and they're all hoping prayer will solve this.

Why would god give us intelligence and the ability to create vaccines if we weren't supposed to use that intelligence and the fruits of those efforts? It's maddening. But you can't say anything like that now.

How many families are suffering through similar situations, needlessly?

Vaccine hesitancy is almost non-existent in most countries in the world. Except this one and Russia. Someone should pay for this deadly disinformation.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Most people aren’t as dialed in to the news as we are regarding the efficacy of vaccines and boosters. So when the president says that 75% of the eligible population is “fully vaccinated” it makes me wonder how non-boosted people see the booster. If they are “fully vaccinated”, then why get a booster?

75% of people aren’t boosted, yet Biden’s press conference made it seem like the initial vaccination course was just fine and that a booster was just kind of a nice treat to have.

Even if you believe the intentions are good, the messaging regarding getting vaccinated and boosted has been awful. It’s a big reason why such a small percentage of people have actually gotten the booster. There’s been no urgency in the messaging at all.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Boosters provide the best protection against Omicron variant, large CDC studies show - CNN

This is the first real-life data to examine the effect of boosters against Omicron, which now accounts for more than 99% of coronavirus cases in the United States. The studies, released Friday, raise the question of whether people with just two vaccine doses should still be considered fully vaccinated.

"I think we have to redefine fully vaccinated as three doses," said Dr. William Schaffner, a longtime CDC vaccine adviser who was not involved with the studies.

youdontsay.jpeg

The studies have an enormous scope, involving millions of cases, hundreds of thousands of visits to emergency departments and urgent care centers, and tens of thousands of hospitalizations among adults.

Getting boosted was 90% effective at preventing hospitalizations during a period in December and January when Omicron was the dominant variant, according to a CDC study that looked at nearly 88,000 hospitalizations across 10 states.

In comparison, getting two shots was 57% effective when it had been at least six months past the second shot
Getting boosted was 82% effective at preventing visits to emergency rooms and urgent care centers, according to the study, which looked at more than 200,000 visits in 10 states.

In comparison, getting two shots was only 38% effective at preventing those visits when it had been at least six months past the second shot.

"I think it's the third dose that really gives you the solid, the very best protection," Schaffner said.

Well herp my derp.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Well I think we can safely say deaths are going through the roof now, as I predicted due to the lag time that occurred for every wave before omicron. I can’t wait to hear the breakdown of Dead Of COVID vs. Dead With COVID, and also how much milder these deaths are.

More than a 9/11 every day, all so that we can enjoy a Johnny Trio and overpriced cab savs at Carrabba’s.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Well I think we can safely say deaths are going through the roof now, as I predicted due to the lag time that occurred for every wave before omicron. I can’t wait to hear the breakdown of Dead Of COVID vs. Dead With COVID, and also how much milder these deaths are.

More than a 9/11 every day, all so that we can enjoy a Johnny Trio and overpriced cab savs at Carrabba’s.

The death count has NOT increased on the same curve as the case count, and has instead stayed similar to last year...even a little flatter.

We are at 4x as many new cases per day and deaths have not followed that pace.

3 weeks ago we were double the daily cases vs last year, so we should be double the daily deaths by now for your "prediction" to hold.

That did not happen.

Instead the 7 day moving average deaths is about 1/3 of the "predicted" doubling, and about the same as Delta's peak.

In fact we haven't even passed last winter and cases are leveling off or dropping. Last year cases AND deaths peaked around mid-January. There was no lag in the winter.

If the pattern holds true then the "peak" will last 4-6 weeks, but I suspect it might drop a little faster based on what's happening abroad. It depends on how many other states play catch up vs the port of entry.

upload_2022-1-22_9-14-31.png

upload_2022-1-22_9-16-43.png

And again, these patterns are going to fluctuate depending on the state due to booster rates, vax rates, pop density, and when Omicron first started community spread.

Here's MD:

upload_2022-1-22_9-39-50.png

Hospitalizations and positivity dropping. Even if cases are underreported the hospital data here is indicating decline as well.

Based on the death numbers MD probably peaked around 1/10 or so and is slowly decreasing. That should take a few more weeks.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The death count has NOT increased on the same curve as the case count, and has instead stayed similar to last year...even a little flatter.

We are at 4x as many new cases per day and deaths have not followed that pace.

3 weeks ago we were double the daily cases vs last year, so we should be double the daily deaths by now for your "prediction" to hold.

That did not happen.

Instead the 7 day moving average deaths is about 1/3 of the "predicted" doubling, and about the same as Delta's peak.

In fact we haven't even passed last winter and cases are leveling off or dropping. Last year cases AND deaths peaked around mid-January. There was no lag in the winter.

If the pattern holds true then the "peak" will last 4-6 weeks, but I suspect it might drop a little faster based on what's happening abroad. It depends on how many other states play catch up vs the port of entry.

View attachment 500626

View attachment 500627

And again, these patterns are going to fluctuate depending on the state due to booster rates, vax rates, pop density, and when Omicron first started community spread.

Here's MD:

View attachment 500633

Hospitalizations and positivity dropping. Even if cases are underreported the hospital data here is indicating decline as well.

Based on the death numbers MD probably peaked around 1/10 or so and is slowly decreasing. That should take a few more weeks.

I’ve already agreed that Omicron isn’t as deadly on a case by case basis. I never said that 4x cases from last year implies there will be 4x deaths from last year. I just said that deaths would rise because deaths always rise after cases rise. I mentioned we’d need to wait until mid to end January to see what the death counts would end up being, and it looks like it’s going to be just as bad or even worse than last year.

I don’t care how much less deadly it is on a case-by-case basis when it’s going to infect so much more of the population than prior waves. And we’re just chugging along, pretending everything is fine. At least last year people pretended things were going poorly, probably because there was an election happening.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’ve already agreed that Omicron isn’t as deadly on a case by case basis. I never said that 4x cases from last year implies there will be 4x deaths from last year. I just said that deaths would rise because deaths always rise after cases rise. I mentioned we’d need to wait until mid to end January to see what the death counts would end up being, and it looks like it’s going to be just as bad or even worse than last year.

I don’t care how much less deadly it is on a case-by-case basis when it’s going to infect so much more of the population than prior waves. And we’re just chugging along, pretending everything is fine. At least last year people pretended things were going poorly, probably because there was an election happening.

The election was over this time last year. Stop trying to make this about politics again. This is about the medical data and social realities.

You're sounding the alarm for lockdowns based on cherrypicking of data. We've gone over what that would mean and how it would (or wouldn't) work.

If we have measures to slow the spread (we do) and we have measures to MASSIVELY reduce the risk of hospitalization and death (we do) then we must use those.

If people refuse to acknowledge those things and end up getting sick and dying WHAT CAN YOU DO? You can't shut down everything and f*** things up for hundreds of millions of otherwise protected or compliant people just because a small segment won't take necessary measures.

What you're asking is to close all the roads because some people insist on driving 100mph and won't wear seat belts. Not going to happen.

It's not ideal but you're just going to have to learn to live with this.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The election was over this time last year. Stop trying to make this about politics again. This is about the medical data and social realities.

You're sounding the alarm for lockdowns based on cherrypicking of data. We've gone over what that would mean and how it would (or wouldn't) work.

If we have measures to slow the spread (we do) and we have measures to MASSIVELY reduce the risk of hospitalization and death (we do) then we must use those.

If people refuse to acknowledge those things and end up getting sick and dying WHAT CAN YOU DO? You can't shut down everything and f*** things up for hundreds of millions of otherwise protected or compliant people just because a small segment won't take necessary measures.

What you're asking is to close all the roads because some people insist on driving 100mph and won't wear seat belts. Not going to happen.

It's not ideal but you're just going to have to learn to live with this.

What unvaccinated people do affects everyone through allowing unchecked mutation and through overwhelming the hospital system, as is going on now. It affects young children who still can’t get vaccinated. It affects children whose parents won’t let them get vaccinated. It affects poor people across the globe who still can’t get vaccinated because of the greed of the mega-wealthy who can’t profit from vaccinating poor populations. These children and people across the world deserve a better chance, more than we “deserve” to enjoy Hibachi at Benihana. The long-term effects are COVID-19 are still largely unknown. How can we proceed as if everything is just fine even if we are vaccinated?

Even if one wants to discard willfully unvaccinated people as acceptable collateral damage (which is psychopathic, of course) what they do still affects us.

I’m suggesting we close the roads not because some people go 100 mph. I’m suggesting we close the roads because some people are going 100 mph and also these people have 10 kiloton bombs attached to them that detonate on impact and irradiate the planet.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What unvaccinated people do affects everyone through allowing unchecked mutation and through overwhelming the hospital system, as is going on now. It affects young children who still can’t get vaccinated. It affects children whose parents won’t let them get vaccinated. These children deserve a better chance, more than we “deserve” to enjoy Hibachi at Benihana.

Even if one wants to discard unvaccinated people as acceptable collateral damage (which is psychopathic, of course) what they do still affects us.

I’m suggesting we close the roads not because some people go 100 mph. I’m suggesting we close the roads because some people are going 100 mph and also these people have 10 kiloton bombs attached to them that detonate on impact.

Ok so since everything else wasn't working you're pivoting to the mutations angle? You know damn well what the answer to that problem is.

If we lock down and other places don't then mutations still happen. If we lock down and people still refuse to get vaccines/boosters then the mutations still happen when they emerge and get sick anyway, just with extra cost to everyone.

We're dealing with people who deny the problem exists AT ALL. They WANT exposure and "natural immunity". Shutting everything down for their sake is not going to help them in the long run. They won't even do it.

Also your revision of my analogy doesn't work. The people driving 100mph without seat belts are putting themselves at the most risk. The rest of us are doing the speed limit, wearing seat belts, using air bags, and watching out for the asshole drivers.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ok so since everything else wasn't working you're pivoting to the mutations angle? You know damn well what the answer to that problem is.

If we lock down and other places don't then mutations still happen. If we lock down and people still refuse to get vaccines/boosters then the mutations still happen when they emerge and get sick anyway, just with extra cost to everyone.

We're dealing with people who deny the problem exists AT ALL. They WANT exposure and "natural immunity". Shutting everything down for their sake is not going to help them in the long run. They won't even do it.

Also your revision of my analogy doesn't work. The people driving 100mph without seat belts are putting themselves at the most risk. The rest of us are doing the speed limit, wearing seat belts, using air bags, and watching out for the asshole drivers.

Then other places need to lockdown too. China is already doing it successfully, everyone else can too.

I’m not trying to make this a US-specific failing because it isn’t. The US is failing in certain distinct ways, but aside from a few nations like China no one is really taking this seriously.

It sucks. I realize it sucks. I’d strongly prefer to have the ability to resume normal pre-pandemic activities. But I’m also an adult and realize that sacrifice is needed. I’m not happy that we are accepting millions of dead people around the globe all because we need to make sure The Economy is humming along for the wealthy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Then other places need to lockdown too. China is already doing it successfully, everyone else can too.

I’m not trying to make this a US-specific failing because it isn’t. The US is failing in certain distinct ways, but aside from a few nations like China no one is really taking this seriously.

It sucks. I realize it sucks. I’d strongly prefer to have the ability to resume normal pre-pandemic activities. But I’m also an adult and realize that sacrifice is needed. I’m not happy that we are accepting millions of dead people around the globe all because we need to make sure The Economy is humming along for the wealthy.

China is contributing to the problems with the global economy and supply chain with overly dramatic practices that we can't even confirm are working due to transparency issues.

IMF warns China over cost of Covid lockdowns

If you want to lock the world down so that countries with hundreds of millions to billions of people only produce double digit covid cases per day you're going to be disappointed.

Another part of being an adult is realizing that "the economy" isn't some boogeyman, it's people. You may only see it as billionaires but it affects all of us.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
China is contributing to the problems with the global economy and supply chain with overly dramatic practices that we can't even confirm are working due to transparency issues.

IMF warns China over cost of Covid lockdowns

If you want to lock the world down so that countries with hundreds of millions to billions of people only produce double digit covid cases per day you're going to be disappointed.

Another part of being an adult is realizing that "the economy" isn't some boogeyman, it's people. You may only see it as billionaires but it affects all of us.

Yes, China has sacrificed some of its economic might in order to save millions of its people. How is this possibly a bad thing? Unless you're arguing that these supply chain disruptions are somehow going to cost even more lives, then I really care that China is making Western nations angry because they aren't getting their cheap electronics in a timely manner.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, China has sacrificed some of its economic might in order to save millions of its people. How is this possibly a bad thing? Unless you're arguing that these supply chain disruptions are somehow going to cost even more lives, then I really care that China is making Western nations angry because they aren't getting their cheap electronics in a timely manner.

You don't get it.

Reactions: Ajax1995

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
John Stockton's defiance of COVID-19 mask mandate forces Gonzaga to suspend NBA Hall of Famer's basketball season tickets

During the interview, Stockton asserted that more than 100 professional athletes have died of vaccination. He also said tens of thousands of people – perhaps millions – have died from vaccines.
“I think it’s highly recorded now, there’s 150 I believe now, it’s over 100 professional athletes dead – professional athletes – the prime of their life, dropping dead that are vaccinated, right on the pitch, right on the field, right on the court,” Stockton said in the interview.
Such claims are dubious and not backed by science, nor are they deemed credible by medical professionals, according to FactCheck.org, a project of The Annenberg Public Policy Center, and research reported by PolitiFact, which is run by the Poynter Institute.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
John Stockton's defiance of COVID-19 mask mandate forces Gonzaga to suspend NBA Hall of Famer's basketball season tickets

During the interview, Stockton asserted that more than 100 professional athletes have died of vaccination. He also said tens of thousands of people – perhaps millions – have died from vaccines.
“I think it’s highly recorded now, there’s 150 I believe now, it’s over 100 professional athletes dead – professional athletes – the prime of their life, dropping dead that are vaccinated, right on the pitch, right on the field, right on the court,” Stockton said in the interview.
Such claims are dubious and not backed by science, nor are they deemed credible by medical professionals, according to FactCheck.org, a project of The Annenberg Public Policy Center, and research reported by PolitiFact, which is run by the Poynter Institute.

more support for the “why you should never meet your idols” idea….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad