Injury Report: Copp broken cheek bone

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ahh, the HFBoard strawman. At what point did I say Trochek was coming to Detroit? You're having reading comprehension issues today, I said Trochek is the better player.

Copp is an issue, nobody said he's the only issue. this team would probably have made the playoffs had Stevie signed a legit 2C instead of Copp/Compher. Those losses during DBoss' absence really hurt.

Besides, I wanted Horvat, not Trochek. Not only is Horvat better than Copp, NYI wouldn't be in a playoff spot without him.

And we're right back where we started. Like which 2C that would've come to Detroit? It comes back to the myth that Yzerman thinks Copp was some great 2C.

And it's highly unlikely Yzerman was handing out an 8 year deal to Horvat, assuming he could even get him here via trade.

There's no way to actually defend Copp's contract so everyone's resorting to strawman arguments and personal attacks.

Copp's contract sucks, end of story.

Funny you refute a strawman with a strawman.

If you look through people's posts who aren't railing against Copp, most aren't talking about his contract because it isn't that big of a deal. Yes he's overpaid. And? It's the same point you've been making all season and has little to do with his actual performance. Copp is performing about as expected.

But enjoy tilting at Copp windmills! "That AAV! Arrrgh!! We should've gotten a real 2C!"

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Berggren- Compher - Kane
Perron - Kasper - Fabbri
Fischer - Veleno - Sprong

they should have run these lines, not aston reece my god its so frustrating calling up these losers

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why didn't Trocheck sign in Detroit?

or

Zuccarelo, Hyman, Henrique, Danault, Coyle, RNH, Strome, Barbashev, Coleman, etc ?

The richest part is that 90% of this board is people from Michigan who no longer live in Michigan.
Could be for a number of reasons. Most being possibly the case, Yzerman not extending an offer because he wanted Copp.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Based on zero evidence, you've invented a scenario and are mad about it, so direct your ire at Copp.

Makes sense.
I never said he didn’t offer one, I said it’s a possibility. Just like you have no evidence if we did.

What we DO know is he massively overpaid Copp, and what we do know is he has other options outside of just “signing another 3rd liner” should he somehow manage to trade him.

The Copp signing has been bad. Yzerman made a mistake, which for some reason some Wings fans can’t admit

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And it's highly unlikely Yzerman was handing out an 8 year deal to Horvat, assuming he could even get him here via trade.

Yeah, and that's the issue. He'd rather pay mid salary to a bunch of mediocre players instead of getting an actual first line player.

Hronek + Kasper would have gotten the deal done if Stevie wanted him. We know they were talking because Hronek got dealt eventually. Admittedly hindsight trading at this point, but I wanted Horvat before he was dealt.

As for Copp, his contract IS the issue. If he was making $2M, nobody would care one way or the other.

It's really odd the same people who hated on Abby are defending Copp. Abby's a Michigan native and he was a career Wing as opposed to Copp who was a UFA signing. LFG didn;' get as much love either.

You wanna die on this stupid hill, be my guest. Copp sucks, his contract sucks worse. YOU CAN'T CHANGE REALITY.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
We should be concerned when a player actually wants to sign for Detroit. Like maybe they're not serious about winning (a la Gaudreau signing with Columbus).

I think maybe last couple years but going forward and this past off season to a lesser extent since we got Kane, Debrincat and a few other quality guys who wanted to be in Detroit because they see the shift coming. Even if we miss the playoffs, think the organization is becoming a more attractive option. Team on the rise and a top notch facility is a good selling feature.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
or none of them wanted to play in Detroit there is always that possibility. not every UFA wants to play in Detroit.
Correct which is why I said possibly. That’s also part of a GMs job to convince a player to sign here, which some seem to forget here.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think maybe last couple years but going forward and this past off season to a lesser extent since we got Kane, Debrincat and a few other quality guys who wanted to be in Detroit because they see the shift coming. Even if we miss the playoffs, think the organization is becoming a more attractive option. Team on the rise and a top notch facility is a good selling feature.

We'll see what happens this offseason. If there's not a big move, I'm done watching the Wings until I see a roster worth watching.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
We'll see what happens this offseason. If there's not a big move, I'm done watching the Wings until I see a roster worth watching.

giphy.gif

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Why does Stevie get a free pass for signing Copp while Kenny gets criticized for Nielsen and Weiss? Kenny was in a worse situation with a declining team and crappy facilities.

The initial pushback was not to defend SY. It was because the OP about this hopefully having been the last we see of Copp was callous. Also, pretty stupid, because there is almost zero chance this was Copp's last game,. The subsequent pushback was because the OP seems to have no idea what realistic alternatives there were to Copp, and no appreciation for what he does bring, even if it is obviously at too high a price. No one is defending SY by claiming it was a good signing.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The initial pushback was not to defend SY. It was because the OP about this hopefully having been the last we see of Copp was callous. Also, pretty stupid, because there is almost zero chance this was Copp's last game,. The subsequent pushback was because the OP seems to have no idea what realistic alternatives there were to Copp, and no appreciation for what he does bring, even if it is obviously at too high a price. No one is defending SY by claiming it was a good signing.
I listed many alternatives to Copp. And those were again, ignoring the obvious that Yzerman doesn’t need to use that exact $5.6M in savings

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I never said he didn’t offer one, I said it’s a possibility. Just like you have no evidence if we did.

What we DO know is he massively overpaid Copp, and what we do know is he has other options outside of just “signing another 3rd liner” should he somehow manage to trade him.

The Copp signing has been bad. Yzerman made a mistake, which for some reason some Wings fans can’t admit

This is such a weak defense. It's not about people not being willing to criticize Yzerman.

The Copp signing hasn't been bad. That's the reality. Could it have been better? Maybe. Do I wish it was better? Absolutely. But the Wings biggest problem has been defensively responsibility. That is something Copp is solid at.

If you want to talk about bad signing's Yzerman has made, I present to you Justin Holl.

Yeah, and that's the issue. He'd rather pay mid salary to a bunch of mediocre players instead of getting an actual first line player.

Hronek + Kasper would have gotten the deal done if Stevie wanted him. We know they were talking because Hronek got dealt eventually. Admittedly hindsight trading at this point, but I wanted Horvat before he was dealt.

As for Copp, his contract IS the issue. If he was making $2M, nobody would care one way or the other.

It's really odd the same people who hated on Abby are defending Copp. Abby's a Michigan native and he was a career Wing as opposed to Copp who was a UFA signing. LFG didn;' get as much love either.

You wanna die on this stupid hill, be my guest. Copp sucks, his contract sucks worse. YOU CAN'T CHANGE REALITY.

You don't seem to understand that it's your reality. That doesn't make it truth. It's hilarious you think I'm the one dying on this hill when you've been beating this same dead horse all season, to mix metaphors.

He is overpaid. But it isn't an issue - even when you put it in bold type.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This is such a weak defense. It's not about people not being willing to criticize Yzerman.

The Copp signing hasn't been bad. That's the reality. Could it have been better? Maybe. Do I wish it was better? Absolutely. But the Wings biggest problem has been defensively responsibility. That is something Copp is solid at.

If you want to talk about bad signing's Yzerman has made, I present to you Justin Holl.

You don't seem to understand that it's your reality. That doesn't make it truth. It's hilarious you think I'm the one dying on this hill when you've been beating this same dead horse all season, to mix metaphors.

He is overpaid. But it isn't an issue - even when you put it in bold type.
You lost me at $5,6M for a 3rd line 30pt guy not being a bad signing.

Reactions: Gniwder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad