Copa America 2020-1

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Can’t find it now, but saw something where De Paul was starting this “Brasilero” chant or something during celebrations and Messi shut him down immediately.

Reactions: luiginb

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Apparently the fox broadcast was so bad that my parents watched the Univision broadcast instead even though they know about 15 words of spanish between them :laugh:
My god it was piss poor. I would’ve rather listen to AB talk to me about Arsenal. Awful awful coverage. I can’t imagine tsn being any better next month tbh

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Random question: how intelligible is Swiss German to a German?

Other than some turns of phrase that I've never heard around Berlin, I don't really have any issues watching swiss broadcasts. The pronunciation sounds a odd to me...but that's true of so many other german dialects & I'm sure they would feel the same way about my Berliner pronunciations even if I hadn't picked up an american accent over the past decade :laugh:

I have the most trouble with certain northern dialects that sound more like Dutch or Flemmish to me.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Other than some turns of phrase that I've never heard around Berlin, I don't really have any issues watching swiss broadcasts. The pronunciation sounds a odd to me...but that's true of so many other german dialects & I'm sure they would feel the same way about my Berliner pronunciations even if I hadn't picked up an american accent over the past decade :laugh:

I don't speak any German but I've found that American German accents don't really get the hard consonants hard enough, or something. I know English's roots are Germanic but like I've said before, English is a West Germanic + North Germanic + Norman French clusterf*** of a language.

Accents are tough. Take a monolingual English speaker like myself (I have some written knowledge in Spanish but am unable to speak the language) and put him in Quebec City, and see how fast the locals respond to him in English no matter how hard he studied and practiced a single French phrase in an attempt to respect the local language. Not that this happened or anything.

I have the most trouble with certain northern dialects that sound more like Dutch or Flemmish to me.understanding freaking anyone in Scotland when they're drunk regardless of my fluency in English.

I fixed that for you.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't speak any German but I've found that American German accents don't really get the hard consonants hard enough, or something. I know English's roots are Germanic but like I've said before, English is a West Germanic + North Germanic + Norman French clusterf*** of a language.

Accents are tough. Take a monolingual English speaker like myself (I have some written knowledge in Spanish but am unable to speak the language) and put him in Quebec City, and see how fast the locals respond to him in English no matter how hard he studied and practiced a single French phrase in an attempt to respect the local language. Not that this happened or anything.

I fixed that for you.

Oh man, figuring out wtf they were saying in Dundee was an experience :laugh:

Though in the end, I had a lot less trouble with them than I do with plattdeutsch.

PS - the most confusing my accent ever got was when living in New Mexico for half a year got me using spanish often enough to start rolling my R's regardless of what language I was speaking lol

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad