Cooking authentic cuisine

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

More people like me that is busy cooking authentic food from the countrys origin? Using authentic recipes from that country where the recipe is from? with right ingridens etc?

I have trying to this for some years now, cooking Italian, French, Greek and in the future i will try make som African, South Korean, Pakistan/Indian and Mexican food.
Its not easy to make authentic food here in Norway if dont live in the right places, poeple that live in and around the capital Oslo will find it more easy to buy from Italian, Mexican food stores that you cant get anywhere else in the country and the cheese import tax in Norway is about 40-120% (depens on the cheese)

My top dishes are:

1. Tagliolini alla San Daniele
  2. Risottos
  3. Lasagne Bolognese Ragù
  4. Spaghetti Carbonara
  5. Spezzantino
  6. Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe
  7. Spaghetti Aglio e Olio

Apart from the wrong names and Dante who will be turning in his grave, they are all Italian dishes and I am therefore ready for the worst.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
What dishes have wrong names? Dante? Antonio Carluccio?
Please elaborate, worst what?

Spezzatino, Lasagna alla Bolognese, Risotto.

In any case, I would not even pass in the antechamber of the brain to use spaghetti for a cacio e pepe or for a carbonara. Do you have a final product for us to see?

HanTykje

Jan 8, 2022
Norway
www.instagram.com
Spezzatino, Lasagna alla Bolognese, Risotto.

In any case, I would not even pass in the antechamber of the brain to use spaghetti for a cacio e pepe or for a carbonara. Do you have a final product for us to see?
My IG is linked in my account. Spezzatino Piselli was my dish there, see now that that was misspelled, same with Lasagne. I'm lucky if i can find high quality pasta and shapes, we dont have such selection of Pastas that you have in Italy, would love to. (want to move to Italy, also going to learn Italian)
Hard to find high quality pasta like: Monograno Felicetti, La Molisana, Pastificio Di Martino
Normal brands here are; Sopps and Barilla :rolleyes: and god ones are De Ceco and Rummo.

Other thing is also very difficult to find the right ingredients from diffrent regions in Italy here in Norway, that are used to the right dish.

You thinking about using Spaghettoni to Carbonara Alla Romana? Do you use the hole egg or only yolk? Parmigiano and/or Pecorino Romano?

I dont use Norwegian cooking sites to Italian dishes, only Italian sites and chefs. Have no problems discussing food recipes and finding the right authentic recipes.

Last edited:

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
My IG is linked in my account. Spezzatino Piselli was my dish there, see now that that was misspelled, same with Lasagne. I'm lucky if i can find high quality pasta and shapes, we dont have such selection of Pastas that you have in Italy, would love to. (want to move to Italy, also going to learn Italian)
Hard to find high quality pasta like: Monograno Felicetti, La Molisana, Pastificio Di Martino
Normal brands here are; Sopps and Barilla :rolleyes: and god ones are De Ceco and Rummo.

Other thing is also very difficult to find the right ingredients from diffrent regions in Italy here in Norway, that are used to the right dish.

You thinking about using Spaghettoni to Carbonara Alla Romana? Do you use the hole egg or only yolk? Parmigiano and/or Pecorino Romano?

I dont use Norwegian cooking sites to Italian dishes, only Italian sites and chefs.
For a Carbonara i used short pasta like mezze maniche or rigatoni, spaghettoni are better than spaghetti. For a cacio e pepe try tonnarelli.

Only yolk, pecorino, and guanciale.

Extra or wrong ingredients, such as parmesan, cream and other horrors and the dish you are preparing is no longer a carbonara.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

HanTykje

Jan 8, 2022
Norway
www.instagram.com
For a Carbonara i used short pasta like mezze maniche or rigatoni, spaghettoni are better than spaghetti. For a cacio e pepe try tonnarelli.

Extra or wrong ingredients, such as parmesan, cream and other horrors and the dish you are preparing is no longer a carbonara.
Only yolk is the modern verson of carbonara as i understand, hole egg is the old recipe from Renato Gualandi? Its that recipe in City of Commerce? Il cucchiaio d'argeno? Il Talismano della felicitá?

I love the Guanciale, the dish not the same without that.
I know that Cream etc is a no-no in Italy, if you are not following the recipe then you are not making the the right dish, i agree on that, important to follow the recipe.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Exactly why I've always called carbonara "Roman health food."

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Exactly why I've always called carbonara "Roman health food."

The Roman cuisine is quite varied, we can say that the first courses are not on the light side, I myself hardly eat more than one carbonara a month, even less the cacio e pepe, let's say that they are not first courses that I gladly start preparing. I consume many more Roman-style second courses than first courses.

Reactions: HanTykje

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The Roman cuisine is quite varied, we can say that the first courses are not on the light side, I myself hardly eat more than one carbonara a month, even less the cacio e pepe, let's say that they are not first courses that I gladly start preparing. I consume many more Roman-style second courses than first courses.
I remember back when I had the time, energy and self-respect to make actual meals. :(

My grandmother was a Calabrian that really knew her way around a kitchen, and every time I cook Italian food (even if it's stuff not at all related to Calabria, such as polenta) I wonder if Nonna would approve.

Sep 19, 2008

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Related- where the hell is the food thread? Can't find it anywhere. :madfire:
Damn, now I'm thinking it was an off-topic thread in one of the team threads. I'll never find it....

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad