Value of: Cooked Nic Deslauriers at 50% - $875,000

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Deslauriers can't stake at an NHL level, can't kill penalties, and can't play a regular shift. His only value now is as a costume-less team mascot and face puncher.

But maybe there's a club out there that needs a heavyweight who can play one game in 10 and throw some punches. The Flyers don't, and having Nic in the lineup does nothing to stop other teams taking runs at their skill players. We just saw that on Saturday against Calgary, when Joel Farabee had to drop the gloves. Farabee had major neck surgery not even two years ago.

Deslauriers turns 33 next month and has two years left after this season,. With 50% retention his cap hit would only be $875,000.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Wouldn't be opposed to swapping the Deslauriers and Ross Johnston contracts (same term but Des makes 650k more per) with a small/reasonable incentive attached to pay for the difference in cap (talking mid round pick at most).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It’s going to be hard to achieve any sort of legitimate discussion with this kind of silly bias.
There's no bias involved. It's how the Flyers run their team.

They would absolutely prefer taking a hit of a few hundred grand on the cap to move a vet like Deslauriers to another team where he would stay in the NHL, versus sending him to the Phantoms.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
There's no bias involved. It's how the Flyers run their team.

They would absolutely prefer taking a hit of a few hundred grand on the cap to move a vet like Deslauriers to another team where he would stay in the NHL, versus sending him to the Phantoms.

Because they don’t want to “hurt his feelings”? Somehow I’m guessing there’s more to it than that.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Because they don’t want to “hurt his feelings”? Somehow I’m guessing there’s more to it than that.
You could also say that they treat NHL experience as more valuable than talent, or on ice performance, but the Flyers have a long, clear record of giving washed-up vets enough rope to build a bridge over the Schuylkill, while overcooking prospects in the minors because they aren't trusted, and in at least a few of those cases, locker room harmony (less charitably, not hurting people's feelings) was stated as at least part of the reason.

Reactions: mr4tno

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Did he just age out, or is he not a good fit in Philly? I remember a lot of teams were rumoured to be after him when he was last a UFA, so there actually might be a GM who would take him.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Did he just age out, or is he not a good fit in Philly? I remember a lot of teams were rumoured to be after him when he was last a UFA, so there actually might be a GM who would take him.
He’s just not a good player. Not a fit anywhere. Maybe could’ve been an average player pre-lockout. Way too slow for the modern game.

I have no doubt that there’s another GM somewhere that thinks his “toughness” would be valuable. We probably outbid that GM and would need to eat some salary, but I’m sure he could be moved.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He was terrible as an actual player before Fletcher gave him that stupid contract. Toss in that 20-team NTC he has for the rest of this year... yeah, that's a guy not going anywhere.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Before leaving Anaheim, he was actually the ideal 4th line player. He was tough, wasn't a black hole on offense (but by no means good), and could actually play defense and PK on top of being able to fight. I wonder if age and injuries caught up with him. Out of all the moves the Ducks made that TDL, I think trading Des was the move most fans were upset with (yes it was good value, I think he got a 3rd round pick, but Ducks needed the toughness/defense more than the chance at yet another depth player).

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
e player. He was tough, wasn't a black hole on offense (but by no means good), and could actually play defense and PK on top of being able to fight. I wonder if age and injuries caught up with him. Out of all the moves the Ducks made that TDL, I think trading Des was the move most fans were upset with (yes it was good value, I think he got a 3rd round pick, but Ducks needed the toughness/defense more than the chance at yet another depth player).
I don't think he's been bad, actually. The flyers have just upgraded their 4th line to where he isn't an obvious fit there anymore over the other guys. He's a dying breed in his role of hard (not fast, though) forechecking, finishing checks, and being an intimidating presence to avoid cheapshots on your guys.

Flyers were soft as charmin before he was signed.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don’t think the issue here is whether you think there is value in a tough, fighting, forechecking player. The issue is whether Deslauriers can play that role any longer.

Age 33 is a dicey time to be giving enforcers term. He appears to have cashed in right before the decline set in. Good on his agent. Doubt there’s a market for him until some of that term comes off the books.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don’t think the issue here is whether you think there is value in a tough, fighting, forechecking player. The issue is whether Deslauriers can play that role any longer.

Age 33 is a dicey time to be giving enforcers term. He appears to have cashed in right before the decline set in. Good on his agent. Doubt there’s a market for him until some of that term comes off the books.
Well, it could be a trade of bad contract for bad contract, in the hope a change of scenery might get someone going again.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Deslauriers can't stake at an NHL level, can't kill penalties, and can't play a regular shift. His only value now is as a costume-less team mascot and face puncher.

But maybe there's a club out there that needs a heavyweight who can play one game in 10 and throw some punches. The Flyers don't, and having Nic in the lineup does nothing to stop other teams taking runs at their skill players. We just saw that on Saturday against Calgary, when Joel Farabee had to drop the gloves. Farabee had major neck surgery not even two years ago.

Deslauriers turns 33 next month and has two years left after this season,. With 50% retention his cap hit would only be $875,000.

Stop with this retaining crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad