Convince Me Talbot Is A Good Starter

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
6 is pretty damn high IMO.

I'd offer him another deal this summer at 4 mill x 2 years and see if he bites, but he probably doesn't.

I don't think he would either. I believe the Flames are shopping for a new #1 goalie and would surely have some interest in Talbot? 6 Mil is pretty high but if Carey Price is worth 10M a year then Talbot's agent will argue that 6M isn't out of line?

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Right. Clearly you were not there when we had Garon, Deslauriers, Dubnyk, Khabibulin, Gerber, Danis, Scrivens, Bryzgalov, LaBarbera, Fasth, Backman, Gustavsson maning the net.

Talbot is our first legitimate starter since Roloson. So get out with this crap. We are ***king lucky to even have Talbot in the first place.

This is more an indication of how utterly bad those goalies were than how good Talbot is.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I highly suggest people watch Vasilevskly and the style he plays and how much more area he covers in the butterfly and how he does not drop down on wide angle shots like Talbot does I also suggest to watch Holtby , Talbot makes him self so small drops down on rising shots has a weak glove hand and 5 hole , he changed his style this year and he has been horrible

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't think he would either. I believe the Flames are shopping for a new #1 goalie and would surely have some interest in Talbot? 6 Mil is pretty high but if Carey Price is worth 10M a year then Talbot's agent will argue that 6M isn't out of line?

That depends on what next season looks like for him.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I think he is a good goalie still. I don't think that he is playing with the confidence he was last year. I am concerned about what type of contract he could demand.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
if you listen to some posters, Talbot is "the best we can do". if so then we're in big trouble next season ! seems like a good time for Chia to sign him to a 6x6 contract, eh? :thumbd:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think you could get him for 3 x 5 mill this summer, whereas if you had to sign him last summer he'd probably have asked for 7.5 mill. That said that's pretty risky for a guy who's played bad this year.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
That depends on what next season looks like for him.

But do you let it go that long before deciding on an extension or do you compete in the UFA market?

The Flames are paying Smith $6M this year and $5M in his final contract year next season. I am just speculating but I could see the Flames jumping in with a UFA offer for Talbot in a year's time. The Flames are in tough shape right now but I believe that they have a superior D to the Oilers so the argument might be that Talbot would look good in the flaming C with some better D-men.

Of course, other teams would have interest as well depending on next season but once a guy goes into UFA status then you are really playing a higher risk game of having no #1 like the situation we had in the past decade. Like I said, tough call no matter who the GM is.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't know. We haven't properly developed one in a few decades.

Given the ****show that our AHL team is and how LB is just as bad as when we sent him back I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I think you can argue the Oilers have never truly 'developed' a goalie. Really depends on the definiton of devel0p.

Grant Fuhr started the majority of games for the Oilers in his draft season. Andy Moog played some his draft season and was with the team the majority of the following season onwards.

Ranford was a trade, Joseph was a trade, Salo was a trade, Roloson was a trade, Talbot was a trade, etc...

Who else have the Oilers drafted that turned into a solid number one?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think you could get him for 3 x 5 mill this summer, whereas if you had to sign him last summer he'd probably have asked for 7.5 mill. That said that's pretty risky for a guy who's played bad this year.

I'd do 3 X $4.5 million

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think you can argue the Oilers have never truly 'developed' a goalie. Really depends on the definiton of develp.

Grant Fuhr started the majority of games for the Oilers in his draft season. Andy Moog played some his draft season and was with the team the majority of the following season onwards.

Ranford was a trade, Salo was a trade, Roloson was a trade, Talbot was a trade, etc...

Dubnyk, that's about it. And of course he never panned out with us.

Fuhr was the last goalie the Oilers drafted and actually became a #1 with the team. Just another blemish on the Oilers horrible drafting record.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think you can argue the Oilers have never truly 'developed' a goalie. Really depends on the definiton of devel0p.

Ranford was a trade, Joseph was a trade, Salo was a trade, Roloson was a trade, Talbot was a trade, etc...

The only guy I can think of is Mac-D but of course he doesn't play goal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
But do you let it go that long before deciding on an extension or do you compete in the UFA market?

The Flames are paying Smith $6M this year and $5M in his final contract year next season. I am just speculating but I could see the Flames jumping in with a UFA offer for Talbot in a year's time. The Flames are in tough shape right now but I believe that they have a superior D to the Oilers so the argument might be that Talbot would look good in the flaming C with some better D-men.

Of course, other teams would have interest as well depending on next season but once a guy goes into UFA status then you are really playing a higher risk game of having no #1 like the situation we had in the past decade. Like I said, tough call no matter who the GM is.

I'd offer him 3 years t $4.5 million. That way if he sucks we can afford to add another goalie.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'd offer him 3 years t $4.5 million. That way if he sucks we can afford to add another goalie.

I know its trite but if only we didn't have that Lucic deal hung around our necks for 5 more years. It really hurts our flexibility.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Why lock him up now with a year left on his deal? Because he had a good year last year?

The only way I'd sign him to another extension is if he comes to camp looking better than he has at any point with the team.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
So if you are Chia, do you sign Talbot to a 5-6 year deal at let's say $6M a year? It's a pretty tough call.

Maybe if Talbot was 25 I would offer him a 5-6 deal and $5M. But he is 30, he has shown one good year, and even though he is a legitimate starter he still has to prove he can be consistent. Right now Talbot is the best goalie in our system until we can find our Future No.1. I would extend 2 more years with Talbot with around the same contract he has now. That gives 3 more years to find a replacement. 6 Million is like Pekke Rinne money, he has much more to prove before getting a contract that high.

This is more an indication of how utterly bad those goalies were than how good Talbot is.

Talbot is good but inconsistent. Right now he is the best that we had in such long time. I would love a Rinne, Holtby, Vasilevskiy but no team is going to trade us those type of goaltenders. All I am saying, is that until we can develop our own legitimate elite starter, be grateful we have a somewhat decent start in our net. God knows, the black hole we use to have before we got Talbot. I don't see legitimate replacement for him in UFA in the next coming years.

Reactions: Summary

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Dubnyk, that's about it. And of course he never panned out with us.

Fuhr was the last goalie the Oilers drafted and actually became a #1 with the team. Just another blemish on the Oilers horrible drafting record.

Ahhh Doobie. Still don't blame that one on the Oilers. The Preds and Habs couldn't get through to him either. Only the prospect of washing out of the league altogether forced the necessary changes in his game.

Moog was an excellent pick, the draft year after Fuhr. The only reason Moog wasn't a #1 with this team is he was stuck behind a hall of famer and one of the five best goalies of all time. Hard to imagine that the Oilers had two of the best ten goalies in the league on the roster for five seasons given our recent history in goal.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
He's a starter, but he isn't an elite one who deserves the games we give him. I have to think alot of his struggles this year was due to his big work load last year. catches up to you. They should find a better backup who can play 20 some games a year. Talbot is a decent stater, but they give him the all star treatment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad