Convince Me Talbot Is A Good Starter

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
h6qPP6G.png

But I guess ditching him because of a single bad year would be the Oilers way.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
His first year wasn't good either. He practically gave that season away. I don't care if he was better later.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
His first year wasn't good either. He practically gave that season away. I don't care if he was better later.

He struggled adjusting to a new team and a horrendous defense in front of him. Once he got comfortable he was lights out the rest of that season and the season after. I can't wait for the Oilers to deal Talbot just to watch him excel elsewhere and the posters who complained about him to call Chia stupid for trading him.

Reactions: Zaddy and Bozle

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the common denominator is the state of our defense. Year 1= massive injury issues. Year 2= healthy defense. Year 3= massive injury issues (among other issues)

The answer to me would be to, you know, fix the damn defense and hopefully that would deliver us another year of play like we saw last season.

At any rate, who else are we going to try? If it's about getting someone to challenge Talbot, sure, but we should be spending our big trade assets to fix the defense.

Reactions: guymez and ivanlwan

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
But I guess ditching him because of a single bad year would be the Oilers way.

They can't ditch him guaranteed contract and all.

This is his third year with the Oilers.
First year? Meh/ok
Second year? Good/very good
Third year? Bad/pretty bad.

Unquestionably a streaky goalie.

Chia got fooled by Talbot's good/very good last year and expected Talbot to be a top 10 goalie again this season. He hasn't been.

Gotta bring in a guy who can really challenge Talbot next season.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
He goes down & stays down way too much. He also makes himself small in the net rather than big.

These may be due to overuse last year because I don't remember it being this bad last year.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Of goalies who played at least 40 games he was 19th in SV% in 2015/16, 10th in 2016/17, and 21st so far this year. I get he played a lot of games last year, but the numbers in and of themselves aren't that extraordinary and years 1 and 3 are mediocre or poor relative to other goalies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Talbot is better than anybody we've had in the last decade but that said this season has to be a concern. To be fair, the D has regressed to the levels we've seen in horrors past. The wheels have come off Nurse since the New Year and our best D-man Larsson has not had the level of consistency we witnessed last season. The same old injury woes have again hit Klefbom after his break out season last annum.

However, Talbot is heading into the last year of his contract and you really have to wonder if Chia is going to sign him to a long term huge deal given these concerns. I think he will be leery but there is no alternative (right now) within the organization and when it comes to Chia signing free agents well...................................

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll admit, I have no freaking idea anymore which way Cam is gonna go. Really disappointing season for him and he wasn't that good in his first year either. He boosted his save percentage by year but wasn't holding the fort.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Right. Clearly you were not there when we had Garon, Deslauriers, Dubnyk, Khabibulin, Gerber, Danis, Scrivens, Bryzgalov, LaBarbera, Fasth, Backman, Gustavsson maning the net.

Talbot is our first legitimate starter since Roloson. So get out with this crap. We are ***king lucky to even have Talbot in the first place.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He has been various levels of bad this season with some good sprinkled in. He simply has to be better next season or we will have to look elsewhere for a starter.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
His is an average starter. This team needs a 1B guy in a bad way, but Chiarelli seems incapable of recognizing that. It's stunning considering his Bruins teams had Thomas and Rask for the majority of his time there.

UFA goalies this summer:

Raanta
Hutton
Lehtonen
Halak
Ward
Bernier
Pavelec
Khudobin
Johnson

Personally, I'd be fine with adding Cam Ward or Kari Lehtonen on a 1 or 2 year deal. Pavelec wouldn't be bad either - a veteran who's a proven non-starter but having a decent season backing up Lundqvist. Niemi has amazingly pulled his horrible season out of the tank and has a respectable .915 SVP. Could probably get him on a cheap one year deal.

I guess what I'm saying is Talbot isn't a Vezina goalie and the Oilers D isn't good enough to withstand having a mediocre to bad back up. It's got to be the easiest position to fill through free agency and Chiarelli has bungled it consistently.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Right. Clearly you were not there when we had Garon, Deslauriers, Dubnyk, Khabibulin, Gerber, Danis, Scrivens, Bryzgalov, LaBarbera, Fasth, Backman, Gustavsson maning the net.

Talbot is our first legitimate starter since Roloson. So get out with this crap. We are ***king lucky to even have Talbot in the first place.

So if you are Chia, do you sign Talbot to a 5-6 year deal at let's say $6M a year? It's a pretty tough call.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So if you are Chia, do you sign Talbot to a 5-6 year deal at let's say $6M a year? It's a pretty tough call.

6 is pretty damn high IMO.

I'd offer him another deal this summer at 4 mill x 2 years and see if he bites, but he probably doesn't.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Personally, I'd be fine with adding Cam Ward or Kari Lehtonen on a 1 or 2 year deal. Pavelec wouldn't be bad either - a veteran who's a proven non-starter but having a decent season backing up Lundqvist. Niemi has amazingly pulled his horrible season out of the tank and has a respectable .915 SVP. Could probably get him on a cheap one year deal.

These goalies are precisely who I would not sign.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He has been various levels of bad this season with some good sprinkled in. He simply has to be better next season or we will have to look elsewhere for a starter.
Good luck with that. No assets, no future goalies in the pipeline...

If Talbot doesn't pan out we're screwed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad