#1 C... Bozak > Grabo
#2 C... Kadri > Grabo
#3 C... Bolland > Grabo

Easy choice...buyout Grabo.

Last edited by a moderator:

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Do you really think Bolland could maintain his pace if he didn't get injured? Hes been great the few games he's been in but his peaks and valleys with the Hawks suggest that isn't sustainable. On top of that he seems injury prone. The jury is still out on Bolland.

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
Do you really think Bolland could maintain his pace if he didn't get injured? Hes been great the few games he's been in but his peaks and valleys with the Hawks suggest that isn't sustainable. On top of that he seems injury prone. The jury is still out on Bolland.

There's more to being a centre than points... bolland has proven he has what it takes to win. What did grabo prove in the playoffs again????

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
There's more to being a centre than points... bolland has proven he has what it takes to win. What did grabo prove in the playoffs again????

I'm not interested in arguing about whether Bolland or Grabovski are better in the #3 slot. I will say, though, that Kadri is miles better than Bozak in the #1.

Ultimately, I would like to see more of Bolland with the club before feeling comfortable with him long-term. He's going to become over-paid, like Bozak and Grabovski, when he signs his contract this off-season; Two Stanley Cup rings probably make sure he gets a decent raise on top of the $3.375 he's currently getting.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Cap space

Option 1: Grabovski at $5.5 mil

or

Option 2: Bozak at $4.2 mil + Raymond at $1.0 mil = $5.2 mil

Pick one?

Nonis picked option 2 and it would be the one I would pick also.

Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Nonis used a compliance buyout on Grabovski. That buyout could have been used on Liles and saved $3.875 mil. So option B should read $9.075 mil.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Clarkson wasn't Grabo's replacement, Bolland was.
After Bolland came in the choice was Grabo or Bozak. The team chose Bozak.

Why cant or do people refuse to understand this. After Bolland was acquired the team was never going to keep both of Grabs and Bozie. Who ever that capspace was spent on is irrelevant to that fact.

Keeping Grabovski and playing him on the wing would have been a superior option to signing Clarkson. So even if Nonis still trades for Bolland it absolutely can be framed that way.

Plus, the previous analysis all ignores that we could have had Bolland for free next summer instead of giving up a 2nd and two 4ths (with competent drafting those picks should produce one career NHL player).

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
A lot of talk these days about "we won't win with this core". Well you won't win the Grabo either.

Exactly! So why waste a buyout on Grabo and then waste draft picks on his replacement if you're not going to win either way? Keep him around, he's a useful asset on a non-contender, and wait until a legit #1C becomes available. Then you replace him. At that point he'd be much cheaper to buy out, and if used on a scoring line probably would actually have been tradeable.

Asset management 101 here. Nonis failed that course.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
We had the same terrible record with Kessel does that make Kessel expendable too? Last time I checked hockey was a team game and not a game that hinged on the performance of a 2nd line center role.

Actually yeah. Kessel isn't as important as a lot of people think, as he's too much of a one dimensional player. Can you see a team ever winning the cup with Kessel as their premiere offensive player? I can't, so he'll have to go eventually.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
I have no problem getting rid of Garbo and his 5.5 Million contract. I also knew he would do well when he signed with Caps, Bozak and Kadri are just better fit right now and long term + Bolland at 3rd line >>>>> Garbo at 3 line. I don't get why people think Garbo is better then Bozak on this team with Kessel? also consider bozak to be a 1 M dollar cheaper its an easy choice. It just Garbo contract sucked. I would rather traded him but they just couldn't.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
we have no center depth, trade your best center for nothing. kadri has 35 solid games is called dougie becomes the second line center. Bozak continues to get a free ride on the first. thats it.

This is where you have it wrong, one Grabovski was not traded, he was bought out, two he was not our best center. He was an underachieving player with an albatross of a contract on the Leafs for years to come.

Bozak, Bolland, and Kadri all are better fits for our team, the fact Grabovski took to 2 weeks prior to training camp to find a new team speaks how lowly he is actually thought of by NHL GM's. And a reason why Nonis who tried this summer but couldn't even get a 7th rd pick for him. Something he even managed to get for the awful David Steckel.

That's the truth of it. He is only well thought of by a few of his supporters that can't or won't let go of mediocrity.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
Actually yeah. Kessel isn't as important as a lot of people think, as he's too much of a one dimensional player. Can you see a team ever winning the cup with Kessel as their premiere offensive player? I can't, so he'll have to go eventually.

Hmmm he is an elite goal scorer and game breaker. he could be completely irrelevant the whole game and score the game winner just as easily. These types of players wins you games when its tight low scoring game. I do agree he isn't the player you build around but is a very important piece.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kessel is the kind of game breaker who can win you games having done nothing for 59:59 of the game. But that kind of arrangement also means you need someone to show up and do the heavy lifting for most of the game to make sure you're in it.

I love his game but the continual problems with effort and motivation in Toronto is an indication that we need someone else to be setting the tone of the culture. Phil is always welcome as far as I'm concerned, but there has to be another star player to be dictating the work ethic culture.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
Kessel is the kind of game breaker who can win you games having done nothing for 59:59 of the game. But that kind of arrangement also means you need someone to show up and do the heavy lifting for most of the game to make sure you're in it.

I love his game but the continual problems with effort and motivation in Toronto is an indication that we need someone else to be setting the tone of the culture. Phil is always welcome as far as I'm concerned, but there has to be another star player to be dictating the work ethic culture.

Yeah he work ethic pisses me off sometimes. Not that i am expecting him to deliver bone crunching hit or even great defensive position just skate hard and pressure the guy a bit. More often then not he just does a fly by. The only time he pressures really well if he turns the puck over :laugh:

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Nonis used a compliance buyout on Grabovski. That buyout could have been used on Liles and saved $3.875 mil. So option B should read $9.075 mil.

Wait a minute... Do you believe he's right or wrong? :)

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Keeping Grabovski and playing him on the wing would have been a superior option to signing Clarkson. So even if Nonis still trades for Bolland it absolutely can be framed that way.

Plus, the previous analysis all ignores that we could have had Bolland for free next summer instead of giving up a 2nd and two 4ths (with competent drafting those picks should produce one career NHL player).

Also add in that we could have bought out Grabo after this season if a player we truly needed became available.

Or looked to trade him (with the option of retaining salary if necessary).

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
Yeah he work ethic pisses me off sometimes. Not that i am expecting him to deliver bone crunching hit or even great defensive position just skate hard and pressure the guy a bit. More often then not he just does a fly by. The only time he pressures really well if he turns the puck over :laugh:

his work ethic is just fine in the playoffs.. if you watch other teams you will find that some of their best players take nights off during the regular season too. newflash... its only the regular season :laugh::laugh:

oh to the guy above.. that star's name is dion phaneuf and he's been fantastic this season

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
his work ethic is just fine in the playoffs.. if you watch other teams you will find that some of their best players take nights off during the regular season too. newflash... its only the regular season :laugh::laugh:

oh to the guy above.. that star's name is dion phaneuf and he's been fantastic this season

No, Dion Phaneuf is not that guy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Clarkson was good again tonight. No probs with him when he plays like this. He's not exactly playing with offensive geniuses out there.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Clarkson was good again tonight. No probs with him when he plays like this. He's not exactly playing with offensive geniuses out there.

Clarkson is doing what he needs too.

Without Clarkson in the lineup, we have a big hole in our edge up front.

Loving Clarky infront of the net tonight, always in the scrums at the end of the whistles, and oh pots a goal too.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Loving Clarky infront of the net tonight, always in the scrums at the end of the whistles, and oh pots a goal too.

He consistently pays the price in front of the net, good to see him rewarded for once. He also was a reason why other guys scored by being there but was not credited with a point. He's coming along. Maybe he will get his chance with Holland, something I would like to see, when Bozak comes back. He will be fine.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

He did have a good game!

Still don't and am very likely to ever like paying him over 5 million over 7 years. That money should have been reserved for a high end Dman or Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad