Salary Cap: Contracts and Salary Cap (Contract Info in Posts #1 & #2)

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
Technically the Upper limit is $60 million with an allowance to spend up to $70.2 million. The significance of the wording I don't know, and don't really care to know. We don't need to get under $60 million.

OK did a little research::)

TSN.CA STAFF
- The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million

Thanks everyone, much confusion out there;)

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
The PA offered cap benefit recapture so I think we can assume its a part of the new CBA.

I know, I just wish there were some details released on it. Of all things, I could find nothing on that topic and I feel like it's pretty important.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Technically the Upper limit is $60 million with an allowance to spend up to $70.2 million. The significance of the wording I don't know, and don't really care to know. We don't need to get under $60 million.

It sounds like you won't save any capspace.

IE, lets say you are at 68.2m. Normally, if you had been at 68.2m on avg for half the year exactly, you can take on a 4m contract at the half point. The wording I've seen sounds exactly like the long term injury exception. An injured player counts against the cap, but you can spend over the cap by the amount the injured player makes. But you don't save up on cap space for an injured player.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If our second amnesty is in 2014, no doubt Richards has to be it, even if he plays well. There is no way he will be worth $7 a year from the age of 34 to 40. No way. We can use the $7 on a similarly talented playerbut one in his prime.

There is a risk that the above will not be all the easy to aritech. By what time does the teams have to execute an amnesty buy out? Since the player bought out needs to find a new team, its quite possible that they agree on before 1 July.

Malkin, Joe T and H Sedin right now are on track to become UFAs (other could join if they sign 1 year deals in 13'). It doesn't sound likely, but lets say that it seems like Malkin is about to hit the UFA market, but we have to buy out Richards before 1 July, do you gamble on getting Malkin???

I mean, Richards needs to perform decently here in NY this year and next year. If he scores like 40 pts in 80 games in 13/14 -- you of course use it on him. No doubt. But if not, what if he scores like 68 pts in 80 games? It could be a big risk to buy him out to. Good players are never that easy to find.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
For all intents and purposes, you can ignore the 60MM "ceiling" number.

For the 2012-2013 season, the players will receive 50% of HRR plus a pre-defined amount from the Make Whole package the NHL promised them. NHL teams can operate anywhere between 44M and 70.2M.

alahey925

Jan 6, 2013
should be able to drop redden

As part of the deal:
-Players will receive $300 million in transition payments over three years to account for existing contracts, pushing their revenue share over 50 percent at the start of the deal.
-Players gained a defined benefit pension plan for the first time.
-The salary cap for this season will be $70.2 million before prorating to adjust for the shortened season, and the cap will drop to $64.3 million in 2013-14 - the same amount as 2011-12. There will be a salary floor of $44 million in those years.
-Free agents will be limited to contracts of seven years (eight for those re-signed with their former club).
-Salaries within a contract may not vary by more than 35 percent year to year, and the lowest year must be at least 50 percent of the highest year.
-There were no changes to eligibility for free agency and salary arbitration.
-The threshold for teams to release players in salary arbitration will increase from $1.75 million to $3 million.
-Each team may use two buyouts to terminate contracts before the 2013-14 or 2014-15 seasons for two-thirds of the remaining guaranteed income. The buyout will be included in the players' revenue share but not the salary cap.
-The minimum salary will remain at $525,000 this season and will rise to $750,000 by 2021-12.
-Either side may terminate the deal after the 2019-20 season.
-Revenue sharing will increase to $200 million annually and rise with revenue.
-An industry growth fund of $60 million will be funded by the sides over three years and replenished as need.
-Participation of NHL and its players in the 2014 Sochi Olympics will be determined later in discussions also involving the International Olympic Committee and the International Ice Hockey Federation.
---
AP Sports Writer Rachel Cohen in New York, Dan Gelston in Philadelphia, and Associated Press Writer David N. Goodman in Detroit contributed to this report.

Link here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mediation-nhl-talks-continue-saturday-090222663--nhl.html

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
For the back diving contracts, if a player retires before the contract expires he carries a cap hit for the excess of the actual salary over the cap hit through the life of the contract. For example if Richards retired before his salary dropped to $1 million, he would still carry a cap hit of $5,666,666 for 3 years.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
For the length of the deal? That would be great.

The PA is preparing a 30 page document for the players to read. It will probably be leaked. The cap had the chance of decreasing for 14-15. Looks like it can't drop below $64.3M. They had proposed it not dropping below $67.25M. I read the cap was the last thing agreed on.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sent: Jan 7, 2013 12:31p

Sorry can't explain all of the CBA legalese here on Twitter, but here's a piece on the cap benefit recapture formula: http://t.co/nUQH2NgJ

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/mirtle/status/288337013453762565

So the team that signed the player to the contract is on the hook for the charge if the player ends his career before the conclusion of the deal? That seems crazy. If you acquire a player in a trade you ought to then be responsible for all future charges, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad