Salary Cap: Contracts and Salary Cap (Contract Info in Posts #1 & #2)

rangers5000

Apr 30, 2012
so do the rangers still pay drury his full contract, how does the buyout really work

yashin is still counting 3 mill vs islanders cap, does that mean there still paying him 3 mill or just against cap

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
so do the rangers still pay drury his full contract, how does the buyout really work

yashin is still counting 3 mill vs islanders cap, does that mean there still paying him 3 mill or just against cap

We're down to the final year of cap hit on Dury...think it's about 1.66M or thereabouts.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
And so what do we hear now from all those who argued for two years that the cap is going down and will be lower than in 2011-12? Every year we hear how the cap is going down and it never happens.

Lets keep in mind that next year is still better than last year because of amnesty. And if there is a decent rise in revenue, the cap would be above $64.3.

No the sky did not fall and the cap did not drop to 47% while the revenue remained the same as two years ago.

Who'll eat crow now?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Kypreos says amnesty buy-outs will be available over the next two summers. I think you have to consider Richards in the summer of 2014. He will be 34 with 6 seasons left with a $6.67M cap hit and a potential cap benefit recapture charge if he retires early. It would cost 18 million real dollars. Stepan, McDonagh, Del Zotto will have new contracts. Lundqvist, Callahan, Girardi, Kreider, Gaborik's contracts will be up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kypreos says amnesty buy-outs will be available over the next two summers. I think you have to consider Richards in the summer of 2014. He will be 34 with 6 seasons left with a $6.67M cap hit and a potential cap benefit recapture charge if he retires early. It would cost 18 million real dollars. Stepan, McDonagh, Del Zotto will have new contracts. Lundqvist, Callahan, Girardi, Kreider, Gaborik's contracts will be up.

I guess we'll have to see how he plays this season. If he has a 20/30 season or something like that, yeah, you gotta move on him. If he has a great year and is near a PPG, I don't know...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Pierre LeBrun and Chris Johnston differ on the buyouts. LeBrun wrote they can only be executed before 13-14. Johnston wrote its 13-14 and 14-15. 2 compliance buyouts in total.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I guess we'll have to see how he plays this season. If he has a 20/30 season or something like that, yeah, you gotta move on him. If he has a great year and is near a PPG, I don't know...
You would have two seasons to decide if Kypreos is correct. If it's just this summer I don't think there's any way he's bought-out.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
it would be crazy our second buyout is Richards and then we go hard in 14' for Malkin, imagine that..

trade Gaborik and hags and try to pry Bobby ryan out of Duck lands.. pipe line dream but anything can happen..

Nash- Malkin - Callahan

Kreider- Stepan- Ryan

one could dream..

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Elliotte Friedman wrote about Redden's situation in late December.

He wrote teams would be interested in Redden if the Rangers amnestied him assuming there were compliance buyouts and they took place this season.

One final note on Redden. It looks like the Rangers have all but guaranteed he is getting the buyout (if there is one) and the sense is there is going to be a lot of interest in him. Don't know what the final salary will be. But if he's willing to be reasonable -- and you have to believe he will be -- he's going to have options. Lots of execs think he will be good value at a lower number.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/12/only-nhl-game-being-played-is-waiting-game.html

Maybe Redden decides to walk away from his Ranger contract and signs with another team.

Have those teams seen Redden play? The same execs who caused the lockout with the crazy contracts which forced Bettman to get contract term limits and variances. :sarcasm:

The Rangers can't afford to take back bad money for 13-14 in a trade when they can they dump Redden in June. Redden is owed $5M in 13-14.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I imagine Redden had value only if he was bought out now not in a deal.

So am I nuts to think Staal is moved to the Canes next yr for someone like Faulk who isnt an RFA for a few yrs, 1st and top prospect? Similar to Jordan Staal deal.

It gives the Rangers cap space to keep Gabby for sure. Would HATE to lose Staal but they may need to make a balzy move to stay under the cap and keep their offense

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
it would be crazy our second buyout is Richards and then we go hard in 14' for Malkin, imagine that..

trade Gaborik and hags and try to pry Bobby ryan out of Duck lands.. pipe line dream but anything can happen..

Nash- Malkin - Callahan

Kreider- Stepan- Ryan

one could dream..

Are we talking about the NHL or "NHL 13" the video game? And Gaborik is better than bobby ryan, some of you don't seem to get that. I guess the grass is always greener...

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Are we talking about the NHL or "NHL 13" the video game? And Gaborik is better than bobby ryan, some of you don't seem to get that. I guess the grass is always greener...

in 14' Malkin is a UFA

and only reason to trade Gabs is to open cap.. soo its realistic not NHL 13' video game status..

Gabs 7.5 Hags will need a raise to 1.8-2mil/yr.. so we're taking 9.5 for low 5mil cap and malkin with buyout from richards (6.66) we're spending 2mil extra for youth and a stud..

has nothing to do with grass is greener just food for thought.. because we're going to have to make moves..

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Technically the Upper limit is $60 million with an allowance to spend up to $70.2 million. The significance of the wording I don't know, and don't really care to know. We don't need to get under $60 million.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If our second amnesty is in 2014, no doubt Richards has to be it, even if he plays well. There is no way he will be worth $7 a year from the age of 34 to 40. No way. We can use the $7 on a similarly talented playerbut one in his prime.

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007
It is very clear that buy out 1 will be redden.... i imagine they keep second one in there back pocket in case Nash Or Richards regress...You never know. Say Nash cant get a handle hear boom buyout. Heres hoping we arent discussing that!

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Why is everyone so worried about redden next year? We will use a buyout on him this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad