Contact high poll: Nolan vs Nico vs Other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Pretty sure Patrick's own coach compared him to Schenn.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/nhl/regal-bloodlines-287885251.html Here's the article. A guy who coached both players says Patrick reminds him of Schenn.

That's almost from 2.5 years ago and no where does he say he thinks they will be the same NHL player, my guess is you want the other guy and you're going to look for anything to stick to the wall. I remember Schenn when he broke into this league when he was 20 and he was nothing like the player we see in Patrick today.

I bet the coach was talking about how they remind him of each other in other ways than being the same NHL prototype.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
And this nonsense that Patrick is a slow skater, com'on guys, if speed really won cups teams be drafting speed skaters. Speed helps, but it's only part of the equation in building a formidable NHL team.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Which is why I think I'd draft Patrick Kane over Ryan Getzlaf.

I just don't think the chance of Hischier becoming as good as Patrick Kane is as high as Patrick becoming nearly as good as Getzlaf.

I think there is almost zero chance Hischier becomes Patrick Kane. His junior numbers aren't even comparable. Hall level production seems like a more realistic ceiling for him, which is still pretty great.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
That's almost from 2.5 years ago and no where does he say he thinks they will be the same NHL player, my guess is you want the other guy and you're going to look for anything to stick to the wall. I remember Schenn when he broke into this league when he was 20 and he was nothing like the player we see in Patrick today.

My guess the coach was talking about how they remind him of each other in other ways than being the same NHL prototype.

I honestly think picking between Hischier and Patrick is splitting hairs, so I'm not looking for "anything to stick to the wall." Nobody on this board has seen enough of either player to have a legitimate knowledge of which player is better.

I also didn't make the initial comparison of Patrick to Schenn. Someone said it was the "worst comparison yet," and I find it pretty relevant that his own coach has compared the two, regardless of when the article was written. I think Patrick is a better prospect than Schenn at the same age, but it's not an absurd connection to make.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think there is almost zero chance Hischier becomes Patrick Kane. His junior numbers aren't even comparable. Hall level production seems like a more realistic ceiling for him, which is still pretty great.

I don't think so either

I just remember it being discussed a few days back. More so a comparison of the players, I guess it was.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I honestly think picking between Hischier and Patrick is splitting hairs, so I'm not looking for "anything to stick to the wall." Nobody on this board has seen enough of either player to have a legitimate knowledge of which player is better.

I also didn't make the initial comparison of Patrick to Schenn. Someone said it was the "worst comparison yet," and I find it pretty relevant that his own coach has compared the two, regardless of when the article was written. I think Patrick is a better prospect than Schenn at the same age, but it's not an absurd connection to make.

Yes it is an absurd connection to make, especially when you're taking quotes from 2015 and ignoring the context of what the coach was saying and implying he's comparing them as similar players in style when he did nothing of the sort.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Yes it is an absurd connection to make, especially when you're taking quotes from 2015 and ignoring the context of what the coach was saying and implying he's comparing them as similar players in style when he did nothing of the sort.

Ok, you win.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Man, I just do not see any similarity in IQ between Nico and Nolan. The plays Patrick makes are just way more precocious and unteachable. If Hischier had a similar mind...it would show up somewhere on video. But it's not.

People want to wax on about speed and size. But hockey sense is always king - whether it's Kane, Kopitar, Bergeron, Toews, Getzlaf. These guys win because they think faster - not because they literally are faster.

This is why people emulating the Kings and Bruins one draft and then Chicago and Pittsburgh the next, come off as stupid. The game always belongs to the team with better decision making.

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
And remember one thing about Junior coaches, they will hype up their players, if they think comparing a 16 year old to a proven commodity like Schenn, who while he's still a disappointment in the Flyers fans eyes, he's a proven NHL player, will improve his players draft stock, you bet he will and lay it on thick.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And we don't know if he isn't just injury prone and will never be healthy for most of the season. Too many what ifs for a first overall pick the team is relying on to help turn the franchise around.

Except he has had more than just a hernia when it comes to injuries.

Except speed always kills regardless of trends. They can't hit what they can't catch.

The collar bone is irrelevant. He was 13 when it happened.

The vast majority of his major injury woes are related to the hernia and the surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad