Contact high poll: Nolan vs Nico vs Other

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Injury prone.

Not enough of a reason for me. And we don't know if he'll be injury prone when he isn't a teenager (and we don't know if Nico will be injury prone either). He'll be bigger, stronger, have access to world class nutritionists, trainers, physical therapists, etc.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Getting the hernia doesn't make him injury prone either. It is a bad luck injury.

The relevant questions about his health is how much damage did he do by trying to play through it, and how well has he recovered from it?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You are a sick individual....u're really gonna make light of pelle lindbergh's life? You want to attack the flyers, pls go right ahead, you certainly hold the bragging rights.

But show an ounce of human decency. Imagine if someone said that about your father.

Who is pelle lindbergh?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I just don't see how anyone who has a shot at drafting a 6'4" right handed North American center with first line skill can turn that down.

This is the holy grail of prospects we lucked into at a time when we need it the most, I can't see how anyone in their right mind can say no.

Imagine drawing a full house, and then throwing away a card because you think you can hit four of a kind.

Hischier is great and everything and I wouldn't hate my life if we took him, but man.

This is perfect.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Who is pelle lindbergh?

Great young Flyer goaltender. He rapped his Porsche around a tree after he left an after hours club in Cherry Hill. The club was upstairs from a rink where they practiced in Voorhees. I believe it was in 1979/80. I was living in Cherry Hill at the time.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Great young Flyer goaltender. He rapped his Porsche around a tree after he left an after hours club in Cherry Hill. The club was upstairs from a rink where they practiced in Voorhees. I believe it was in 1079/80. I was living in Cherry Hill at the time.

Well this conversation certainly hit a wall.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Well this conversation certainly hit a wall.

2CkPjd2.png

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I just don't see how anyone who has a shot at drafting a 6'4" right handed North American center with first line skill can turn that down.

This is the holy grail of prospects we lucked into at a time when we need it the most, I can't see how anyone in their right mind can say no.

Imagine drawing a full house, and then throwing away a card because you think you can hit four of a kind.

Hischier is great and everything and I wouldn't hate my life if we took him, but man.

5 years ago, I'd probably agree with you, but the league is changing. Smaller to average sized skaters with greater mobility and agility are dominating the game. That's not to say Patrick is a poor skater because he isn't. At this point, the elusiveness and vision of Hischier is too enticing IMHO.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
5 years ago, I'd probably agree with you, but the league is changing. Smaller to average sized skaters with greater mobility and agility are dominating the game. That's not to say Patrick is a poor skater because he isn't. At this point, the elusiveness and vision of Hischier is too enticing IMHO.

And it will change back. It always does, trends are never constant.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Just kind of a side but I've seen some concerns about Nico being a big riser but then some people would be thrilled to draft Heiskanen at 3, if we hypothetically got it of course. Heiskanen was an even bigger riser than Nico, and arguably really put himself on the radar for such a high selection after a solid U18s.

Point is prospects rise and fall throughout the year, and I get the argument that Patrick is the more "known" commodity but Hischier was still ranked as a mid 1st rounder before the year started. He was known but having a fantastic season in the CHL, plus an amazing WJC will make people that aren't privy to the European leagues really take notice of a guy.

Montana41

Dec 29, 2013
I'm all for the Swiss kid. From what I read, he outplayed Nolan in multiple international tournaments and just tired out at the end of the season. Nolan seems like Brayden Schenn 2.0. Not exactly what I'd want to build around.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Great young Flyer goaltender. He rapped his Porsche around a tree after he left an after hours club in Cherry Hill. The club was upstairs from a rink where they practiced in Voorhees. I believe it was in 1979/80. I was living in Cherry Hill at the time.

It was in 85, I remember it pretty well and I was way too young to remember it if it had been in 79-80.

Unless you mean the year he was drafted? Which was 1979.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I'm all for the Swiss kid. From what I read, he outplayed Nolan in multiple international tournaments and just tired out at the end of the season. Nolan seems like Brayden Schenn 2.0. Not exactly what I'd want to build around.

Nolan was hurt during the international tournaments and didn't play

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

Schenn?? The dude is a string bean, Patrick is nothing is close to that. That might be the worst comparison yet.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

The only international tournament they both played in was the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in 2015-2016. Hischier had 6 points in 4 games for Switzerland, Patrick had 5 points in 4 games for Canada. Not exactly much of a difference. Hischier has much more international experience because he plays for Switzerland, and Patrick has missed time due to injury. So I'm not sure where you read that Hischier outplayed Patrick in "multiple" tournaments.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

You're selling Nolan way short. I think on the low end of the scale he's Couturier. High end is Kopitar. As long as he's not injured often, he'll almost certainly be a very good pro.

I also prefer Nico, but not to this extent. It's very close.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Not enough of a reason for me. And we don't know if he'll be injury prone when he isn't a teenager (and we don't know if Nico will be injury prone either). He'll be bigger, stronger, have access to world class nutritionists, trainers, physical therapists, etc.

And we don't know if he isn't just injury prone and will never be healthy for most of the season. Too many what ifs for a first overall pick the team is relying on to help turn the franchise around.

Getting the hernia doesn't make him injury prone either. It is a bad luck injury.

The relevant questions about his health is how much damage did he do by trying to play through it, and how well has he recovered from it?

Except he has had more than just a hernia when it comes to injuries.

And it will change back. It always does, trends are never constant.

Except speed always kills regardless of trends. They can't hit what they can't catch.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Pretty sure Patrick's own coach compared him to Schenn.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/nhl/regal-bloodlines-287885251.html Here's the article. A guy who coached both players says Patrick reminds him of Schenn.

Some nice quotes from JQ in that article.

"I honestly don't have words to explain to you what I've seen in this kid," Quenneville said this week. "He's absolutely unbelievable. I haven't seen a player of this age in this league -- or any league at his age -- do what he does. It's absolutely incredible.

"He's such a smart player and such a skilled player. For him to do what he's done -- it's amazing. He's walked into this league and he makes it look every night like he's been playing here for four years. Incredible -- that's the only word I've got."

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
And we don't know if he isn't just injury prone and will never be healthy for most of the season. Too many what ifs for a first overall pick the team is relying on to help turn the franchise around.

Except he has had more than just a hernia when it comes to injuries.

Except speed always kills regardless of trends. They can't hit what they can't catch.

Patrick is not slow. His skating is rated comparably to Nico's.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember a comparison of Kane and Getzlaf earlier in this thread or one of the other threads, in which I forgot to reply to.

I think I might take Kane over Getzlaf, although we'd probably be in more need of Getzlaf than Kane.

It's just that I also think that there's a better chance Patrick becomes similar to Getzlaf than the chance of Hischier becoming Patrick Kane.

I'm still on Nolan.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Patrick is not slow. His skating is rated comparably to Nico's.

He's not slow at all. He isn't a speed demon like McLeod for example, but he's a very strong skater that is surprisingly agile for a guy of his size. I don't think he's ever going to win straight line speed contests, but his strength and acceleration creates gaps for him to exploit.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You don't draft for need at #1 overall. If Patrick is the pick its just a point in his favor that he's a big centerman.

Which is why I think I'd draft Patrick Kane over Ryan Getzlaf.

I just don't think the chance of Hischier becoming as good as Patrick Kane is as high as Patrick becoming nearly as good as Getzlaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad