OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
You know, this has been bugging me because I can't think of what it's from.

Anyway, just finished Anohana, which makes Your Lie in April, Plastic Memories and Anohana back to back to back. I watched them in reverse order of what they should have been, because Your Lie in April was pretty damn good, Plastic Memories wasn't bad, and Anohana was just OK at best. Regardless, I think that's enough feels animes for a while.

The prinnies say it in the Disgaea game series :).

Gosh I haven't even started YLIA yet... been super busy at work.
Sounds like you need to watch some happy anime dood! Cowboy Bebop it is haha!

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
And my goodness, how terrible is this:

I'm an avid fan of the FF game series and JUST recently remembered that the main character from FF13 is named SABER.
Must. Play.

Jfccccc.
Fuuuuuuuu!
Smh.
Ugh.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The prinnies say it in the Disgaea game series :).

Gosh I haven't even started YLIA yet... been super busy at work.
Sounds like you need to watch some happy anime dood! Cowboy Bebop it is haha!

YLIA sucked me in because it was so well done that I just got on a roll with that genera, despite it not being something I would normally watch.

I'm not sure what's next. Maybe catch up on SnK, or Gintama. Series that I just abandon at some point.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Nice, For Honor is having an open beta from February 9th to 12th! Excited to try the game out.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Walking Dead mid season premiere was, uhh, kind of okay I guess?

Had a nice little mild cliffhanger at the end, which is fine when you only have to wait a week, unlike 6 months.:shakehead

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
So my Horizon: Zero Dawn copy was just delivered. I picked it up and heard that unmistakable rattle of a disk floating around in its case. Installing now and i really do miss game manuals. You can only read the case so many times.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
So my Horizon: Zero Dawn copy was just delivered. I picked it up and heard that unmistakable rattle of a disk floating around in its case. Installing now and i really do miss game manuals. You can only read the case so many times.

Let me know what you think of the game. I am going to pick it up on Friday and have been very excite for it. You should check out the Witcher 3. Besides being one of the best open world games of all time.... the case is HEAVY as it has like three manuals and stickers in it haha. Feels like the good old days.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Let me know what you think of the game. I am going to pick it up on Friday and have been very excite for it. You should check out the Witcher 3. Besides being one of the best open world games of all time.... the case is HEAVY as it has like three manuals and stickers in it haha. Feels like the good old days.

I have played Witcher 3. That was such a great feeling opening that game case. That smell!

As for HZD the game is great so far. The Dialogue wheel from Mass Effect seems to make a return. Aloy has Actions Good,Bad, and Intelligent. Gameplay is fresh but parts definitely stick out as familiar. Its got a Dark souls feel in combat yet the stealth feels like Assassin's Creed. My only complaint so far is Aloy looks like Erik Per Sullivan from Malcolm in the Middle. I play with subtitles so i'm mainly reading them during cutscenes and Dialogue but when i glance up and see Dewey wearing a wig i cant help and get taken out of it a little.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I just caught the whole Broken Hardy saga. It was brilliant and I'm not really a wrestling fan. Matt's accent is so over the top.

69330946.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfazOnqXlCk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfrmvxY7_4M

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

There is just no band better than Modest Mouse IMHO.

They were okay early on, like in the mid/late 90's. They sounded a little bit similar to Jawbox (From what I remember) and a couple of those early/mid 90's indie bands. I remember when they had that radio hit in 2004 and it sounded like the Red Hot Chili Peppers to me.

This was one of my favorites when I had my first heartbreak. I remember my dad telling me I listened to this stuff because it was about heartbreak haha.

Then I just started listening to this more, since it was a little more angrier

Heavy emotion version is good too

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

There is just no band better than Modest Mouse IMHO.

love the mouse

i did read an unauthorized biography on the band and very quickly i knew it was a piece of ****……still finished it……but man what a leech of a writer. all sourced from barely decent fan sites on the web and spun into a fake "in the know" style.

i hope the writer is dead or dying…..or rotting in a desert with some small faint 'hope' of being found alive

(only to get his ass throttled upon being found by someone like me)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
love the mouse

i did read an unauthorized biography on the band and very quickly i knew it was a piece of ****……still finished it……but man what a leech of a writer. all sourced from barely decent fan sites on the web and spun into a fake "in the know" style.

i hope the writer is dead or dying…..or rotting in a desert with some small faint 'hope' of being found alive

(only to get his ass throttled upon being found by someone like me)

:laugh:

On to video games; we finally got a PS4. I decided to get Nioh after going back and forth between it and HZD. I'm enjoying it despite the storytelling being a bit lackluster so far. It's a fair challenge.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Everyone stop what you are doing and check out Reby Hardy's Twitter right now, she is MURDERING the Anthem/Impact human garbage. If there is a God WWE signs the Hardys and when the Anthem jokers try something they unleash Jerry McDivit on them. I would pay money to be in the court for that.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Watched Antrhopoid today. It's a movie about Operation Anthropoid, which was an operation planned by the British Special Operations Executive and carried out by Jozef Gabčík (Slovak) and Jan Kubiš (Czech). The operation was to assassinate Reinhard Heydrich (a main architect of the holocaust) in response to his harsh rule and to help legitimatize the Czechoslovak government in exile. Pretty good film, really gritty and dark obviously given the content.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Everyone stop what you are doing and check out Reby Hardy's Twitter right now, she is MURDERING the Anthem/Impact human garbage. If there is a God WWE signs the Hardys and when the Anthem jokers try something they unleash Jerry McDivit on them. I would pay money to be in the court for that.

I almost don't want them to go to WWE if only out of fear of being forced to scale back the sheer weirdness of it all.

Watched/fast forwarded through most of Impact yesterday. Odd show to say the least.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Finally got around to watching Shin Godzilla, was very good. Surprisingly political with a lot of jabs at modern Japanese bureaucracy. Godzilla was bad ass though, they gave him some new abilities and he was really unpredictable.

Originally I didn't like his design, but after seeing what they did with him I have to say I totally get it now. They made him terrifying and unnerving. I kept thinking about Quint in Jaws talking about "lifeless eyes, like a doll's eyes" and that's the same feeling I got from this Godzilla.

Perfectly preserved the serious and grim tone of the original 1954 movie, updated it with relevant themes for a new generation, and threw in enough fresh wacky stuff to keep you guessing.

Musi was incredible, used a lot of the 1954 music cues but the original score was haunting in its own way. Effects were generally good, some of the CGI was poorly done but overall the monster/destruction effects were outstanding.

Some people might find this boring (there's a lot of people in suits talking in board rooms, while nerds type on computers trying to figure out what to do) but definitely an upgrade over the 2014 Legendary Godzilla which I've cooled on considerably since I first saw it. Best Godzilla film since GMK.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I'm not a classical music aficionado by any stretch, but I do very much enjoy fast paced, foreboding, melancholic piano pieces. This is one of my favorites, up there with the 3rd movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. It was cool to see this music play a big role in "Your Lie in April". Another reason to love anime.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Just finished the documentary Tower that is about the shooting in 66 at the University of Texas. Really good.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Man Mania was long. Pretty good show though.

Last year's show caught me more off guard, so that helped me pace it better this year. I have a two TV setup in the living room, so I could at least watch hockey/baseball during video recaps and other boring segments.

First half of the show was solid, wasn't looking as forward to the second half.

- Neville/Aries - Solid, no complaints here.
- Battle Royal - Forced setup for the Gronk photo opp. Would have preferred Jinder going over and then Gronk helping Mojo get some post-match revenge.
- Ambrose/Corbin - Low expectations were met I suppose.
- AJ/Shane - Better than I expected. Although once Shane started to incorporate BJJ holds, my brain couldn't suspend the disbelief. Was a little surprised it kicked off the main show as well.
- KO/Jericho - Thought this would be higher in the card. Solid enough.
- Bayley/Nia/Sasha/Charlotte - Seemed a bit rushed compared to last year's women's championship match. Camera work felt off all night. Bayley's elbow would have been better visually from the opposite side.
- Club/E&C/C&C/Hardyz - OMG dat pop. Nice fake out by The New Day to toy with our emotions. A bit bummed that Raw gets the Hardyz, but we'll see if there's further roster shuffling this week. And I guess we'll see how much of the "Broken" gimmick that the Hardyz are gonna get to do.
-Cena/Nikki/Miz/Maryse - This is when I took 20 minutes to finish cooking my dinner. Didn't care for the match, but full props to Miz/Maryse for the buildup.
- Rollins/HHH - Maybe it was the food coma, but I enjoyed this match more than the consensus seemed to. Although was a little let down by HHH's entrance.
- Orton/Wyatt - My expectations for this match were lower than most, but I fully expected some outside interference to spice things up. So I was let down by the match in that regard.
- Lesnar/Goldberg - Short, but what it needed to be.
- Smackdown women - When they did the video package for Lesnar/Goldberg, I was worried that this match got scrubbed for time. Tough placement for this match. Intros took as long as the actual match.
- Taker/Reigns - Match result was immediately rendered forgettable once everybody realized what Taker was doing post-match.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I do kind of feel sorry for Reigns. He keeps getting set up for failure with the way they book him, and having him be the one to retire Taker probably isn't going to help him as much as they hope it would. I don't know why they don't just turn him heel. Everybody can see that he'd be a good heel, but Vince wants him to be the next Cena so bad he's just blind to it. Or just doesn't give a ****.

As for WM itself, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The Hardys returning was pretty damn cool. Still not sure what the point of Wyatt/Orton was. Styles/Shane was actually pretty decent, although I still think it's a waste of one of the company's best wrestlers at their biggest show. Lesnar/Goldberg was okay, but I'm honestly just sick of both guys. Lesnar's suplex, suplex, suplex, suplex, F5 routine is stale to me. The main event was what it was. I think they got the in ring storytelling right, but they went too long and it involved Reigns, who fans are tired of being shoved down their throats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad