Prospect Info: Connor Zary, C, 24th Overall

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Eat some of Huberdeaus salary and sweeten with 3rd or 4th round pick and maybe we can trade him for Johnny.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Coronato

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
according to CapFriendly Zary was sent down yesterday. With Mangy suspended, will Zary be called back up for Tuesday's game?
all of DeSimone, Zary and Pospisil were sent down yesterday and then recalled today per teh AHL transactions page.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I remember in his draft year I was all over tanking to go for Laf, a few here wanted Byfield, I thought we hooped it by trading down.

Instead Zary is here putting up 9 points in 10 games as a rookie and looking way better than I ever thought he would.

I wonder when/if they move him to center eventually, right now you keep him with Kadri no doubt about it, but I wonder when they move him away to continue to development. For those who watched Wrangler games, I assume he was playing center there?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I remember in his draft year I was all over tanking to go for Laf, a few here wanted Byfield, I thought we hooped it by trading down.

Instead Zary is here putting up 9 points in 10 games as a rookie and looking way better than I ever thought he would.

I wonder when/if they move him to center eventually, right now you keep him with Kadri no doubt about it, but I wonder when they move him away to continue to development. For those who watched Wrangler games, I assume he was playing center there?

I recall one of Lapierre or Zary was the aim. Then a few claimed Lapierre was by far better than Zary. But now I'm cool with how things turned out.

I still am hopeful for Boltmann. But if disliked, need to trade him to Tampa.

Reactions: SaintMorose

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I wanted Lapierre. He had a bunch of head and neck injuries that people said kept him out of the top 10, So I was hoping he'd fall to Calgary, but then that traitor McLellan snaked him. Zary worked out.

Reactions: Fig

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I wanted Lapierre. He had a bunch of head and neck injuries that people said kept him out of the top 10, So I was hoping he'd fall to Calgary, but then that traitor McLellan snaked him. Zary worked out.
Literally same wanting Lapierre. Over the moon with Zary and trading down twice we were able to snag Poirier as well who I think has massive upside.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Literally same wanting Lapierre. Over the moon with Zary and trading down twice we were able to snag Poirier as well who I think has massive upside.
I'm excited for Boltmann to turn pro next season, or maybe for the AHL playoffs this year. I think he could actually be a great partner for Poirier.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think I wanted one of Holloway, Mercer, or Zary IIRC

Would have been happy with Zary at #19 so was thrilled when they took him at #24. I think his best asset is that he's able to create time & space for himself with his hands and IQ. That's a quality most top 6ers share.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I was big on Holloway, but after that I was kind of indifferent in the "there's like 10 picks here that I don't think would be bad" kind of way. But snagging Zary while getting two extra picks out of the deal was a good move. Poirier definitely looks like he'll turn out, Boltmann could be a decent defensive guy but either way, if he only ever turns out to be a 6/7 guy that's still not bad since every team needs those on cheap contracts too.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was big on Holloway, but after that I was kind of indifferent in the "there's like 10 picks here that I don't think would be bad" kind of way. But snagging Zary while getting two extra picks out of the deal was a good move. Poirier definitely looks like he'll turn out, Boltmann could be a decent defensive guy but either way, if he only ever turns out to be a 6/7 guy that's still not bad since every team needs those on cheap contracts too.

Even as a 6/7 guy, he's basically the only RHS RD option we have in the pipeline IIRC.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I liked this pick from the get-go.
That was the GMing Treliving could do that made us like him, trading down and still getting the guy his scouts wanted.

I'm not sure if he'll be a centre in the NHL, but he's got a really nice skillset.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He's got great puck poise. Definitely still needs work on his first few steps though.

Great start for the kid.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Zary... the invisible rookie.

He isn't even on the list of Calder candidates...

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Zary... the invisible rookie.

He isn't even on the list of Calder candidates...

Games played and a lesser known rookie. If he keeps playing well he'll work his way into the conversation. The Calder is Bedard's to lose though so I wouldn't get too caught up in that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Has the best hands on the team. Has a soft touch with his passes and has made some jaw dropping moves on defenseman

Bennett was like sorta like that once too. I hope we don't beat that creativity out of him and turn him into a plug. Something like Backlund might be a little extreme too, but occasionally you see Backs show his offensive creativity when things aren't as tight checking.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Bennett was like sorta like that once too. I hope we don't beat that creativity out of him and turn him into a plug. Something like Backlund might be a little extreme too, but occasionally you see Backs show his offensive creativity when things aren't as tight checking.
I think Bennett and Zary are like apples and oranges. Bennett often was like a bull in a china shop whereas Zary is more of a finesse player. Zary definitely has the better hands and vision. Watching him has been a real eye opener for me. I never believed he was/is as good as he is.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Bennett and Zary are like apples and oranges. Bennett often was like a bull in a china shop whereas Zary is more of a finesse player. Zary definitely has the better hands and vision. Watching him has been a real eye opener for me. I never believed he was/is as good as he is.

Yes, but Bennett also had soft hands and really good playmaking. He modeled his game after Doug Gilmour. That vision and creativity was apparent at first, but beaten out of Bennett by seasons 2 or 3.

I'm not saying they are the same style, I'm saying I hope Zary's offensive creativity isn't beaten out of him like it was Bennett.

Reactions: Felidae

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Yes, but Bennett also had soft hands and really good playmaking. He modeled his game after Doug Gilmour. That vision and creativity was apparent at first, but beaten out of Bennett by seasons 2 or 3.

I'm not saying they are the same style, I'm saying I hope Zary's offensive creativity isn't beaten out of him like it was Bennett.
I’d have to hard disagree on his playmaking, one of Bennet’s biggest weaknesses as a pro is an inability to utilize his line mates effectively, a side effect of him seemingly getting tunnel vision with the puck on his stick. We were definitely a bit guilty of treating Bennett like a plug but some of the onus does fall on him. Bennett loved nothing more than trying to beat a defense one on one in transition, but had a pretty terrible success rate. One thing that’s impressed about Zary is not just how often he attacks the defense 1 on 1, but how often he succeeds. Coaches will continue to let that playstyle fly as long as it doesn’t start repeatedly turning into high turnovers. If that becomes the case, Zary will also start hearing every Dad’s favourite phrase of “get pucks deep”.

Reactions: Felidae and Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I’d have to hard disagree on his playmaking, one of Bennet’s biggest weaknesses as a pro is an inability to utilize his line mates effectively, a side effect of him seemingly getting tunnel vision with the puck on his stick. We were definitely a bit guilty of treating Bennett like a plug but some of the onus does fall on him. Bennett loved nothing more than trying to beat a defense one on one in transition, but had a pretty terrible success rate. One thing that’s impressed about Zary is not just how often he attacks the defense 1 on 1, but how often he succeeds. Coaches will continue to let that playstyle fly as long as it doesn’t start repeatedly turning into high turnovers. If that becomes the case, Zary will also start hearing every Dad’s favourite phrase of “get pucks deep”.
Bennett was doing things like banking the puck off the back of the net to beat defenders in preseason before his surgery, just like Gaudreau. His playmaking wasn't as refined, soft and accurate as Gaudreau, but many times his linemates would get a good pass to them and they'd completely flub the thing. But I certainly recall seeing enough to believe he could be on the same tier as Gaudreau for playmaking and soft hands for moves in tight.

After surgery, I recall seeing many passes that were on target and his linemates would still whiff them like they were drunk at the wheel. After a while, Bennett decided not to bother with those guys, which actually further amplified the situation. Both he and Ferland did well in the RW scenario to Monahan + Gaudreau. He'd play like a top 6 player. Then he'd go back to 3C and play like a bottom 6 (not even middle 6). By his own admission, he said he thought he needed to play that way. But I'm also saying that he didn't always seal off those moves.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I've said it multiple times but Zary is the good version of Bennett without all the dumb offensive zone penalties and the snarl.

Bennett was/is a terrible playmaker, he never used his teammates. His career high in assists is 24, when Huberdeau was his winger Bennett had a whopping 21 assists while Huberdeau put up 115 points. That same year everyone on the team except the bottom d-men, Hornqvist and Luostarinen had more assists than Bennett, even Giroux who only played 18 games with them had 20 (Bennett had 21 in 71 games).

Zary in 13 games this year already has 7 helpers and is on pace to blow past Bennett's career high in assists in his first season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad