Prospect Info: Connor Zary, C, 24th Overall

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
*whispers* The Calgary Flames have signed Sean Monahan to an 8 year, $64 million contract extension.

giphy.gif

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
In my opinion, he's a distant 3rd
He's a lot better than Pelletier IMO. I have him and Coronato at around the same level with Coronato having a slight edge. Pelletier is firmly below both of them IMO. I really wanted to see him dominate the QMJHL in his 4th year as a 19 year old on a stacked team. I think he's a good player but I don't think he has a tonne of upside.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's interesting I see Coronato as 3 behind Zary/Pelletier mostly because I rate the chl higher than ushl. Nice to have 3 promising forward prospects at once.

For me it all comes down to upside. I think Pelletier and maybe Zary could be too 6 guys. I see Pelletier as having Mangiapane upside and Zary as being a 2C/3C, kind of like what Backlund is for us.

I think if everything goes right for Coronato, he’s a topline winger.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
For me it all comes down to upside. I think Pelletier and maybe Zary could be too 6 guys. I see Pelletier as having Mangiapane upside and Zary as being a 2C/3C, kind of like what Backlund is for us.

I think if everything goes right for Coronato, he’s a topline winger.

I guess I'm just biased to the Canadian leagues but Zary putting up 7 points in 9 games in the ahl last year has him as my #1 prospect

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It's still crazy awesome IMO we got him and two thirds.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
But is the cupboard really that full if he's your #1 prospect?
Good point. Connor Zary is valued but by no means a stud, can't miss, future franchise builder leader yet, anyways.
However, cupboards can be full still, full of 3rd/ 4th liners or fringe NHL'ers. Doesn't make you a better or winning team, franchise, right!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
But is the cupboard really that full if he's your #1 prospect?

Calgary's had a longstanding history of having a solid-but-not-spectacular cupboard.

Very few 'can't miss' prospects that don't end up playing on the team in their first years, but they generally find decent depth.
Like, I'd honestly be excited giving this scouting staff 3 picks in the top 5 of a draft for a few seasons.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I think it really depends on what you want for who you value most.
Zary has good potential to be a playmaking 2C, and someone who drives play.
Coronato has great potential to be the finisher on a top line who can keep up in other areas, but is ideally the 2nd/3rd best player on said top line.
Pelletier has the potential to play on any of the top 3 left wings as the puck retriever/defensive minded player, like no name brand Mark Stone.

As I see it, it’s ranked like:
Offensive potential: Coronato, Zary, Pelletier
Highest Potential Impact: Zary, Pelletier, Coronato
Highest Floor: Pelletier, Coronato, Zary

Coronato in my mind is the guy most likely to hit his ceiling, then Zary, then Pelletier.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think all three of Zary, Pelletier and Coronato are 2nd line upside guys. If we end up with career comparables of Brock Nelson, Jason Zucker and Cam Atkinson with the three then we should be very pleased.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Pelletier tops out between a slightly better peak Tobias Rieder and lower end Mangiapane.

Zary is very similar to Monahan from what I've seen but I have my doubts he even makes the NHL fulltime

Coronato is a blue-chip (well by our standards) guy. I think he's a can't miss top 6 gunslinger

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I think Pelletier tops out between a slightly better peak Tobias Rieder and lower end Mangiapane.

Zary is very similar to Monahan from what I've seen but I have my doubts he even makes the NHL fulltime

Coronato is a blue-chip (well by our standards) guy. I think he's a can't miss top 6 gunslinger
Those are some very pessimistic takes.

Pelletier’s draft year totals are almost more than Mangiapane and Reider combined, he was the runner up for both the MVP and Defensive player of the year award last season which neither of the other two did, and had the best WJC showing of the group as well. Mangiapane improves leaps and bounds since then, but until this point Pelletier has been much better of the 3.

Zary actually has better pre-draft numbers than Monahan, and is billed as a line driver/playmaker more than a scorer. He has the highest bust potential for sure but he is still very likely he is an impact NHLer. It’s even less likely he busts after we have already seen have more success against AHL talent than actual blue chippers like Byfield and Quinn.

Coronato is not just a ‘Flames Blue Chipper’ he is a high end blue chip piece.in the last 20 years, only two player have ever put up a better goal per game in the USHL, and only one was draft eligible and that was Caufield.
He beat out the likes of Connor, Beoser, Larkin, Turcotte, Boldy and Wahlstrom to name a few. The only reason he fell to us is because he was the second best forward in the draft who didn’t have a chance at playing centre, and because Ottawa decided they wanted truculence.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

You lost me here bruh.
Not so much the pessimism regarding him making it, which is fully reasonable given he wasn't a top 10 pick or anything; but his game is nothing like Sean's.

In fact, at 19, he might be a more complete player than Sean at 26; he's for sure a better skater and for sure has more natural offensive instincts that aren't just scoring from quiet ice.

Reactions: Dack

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I honestly think Zary is going to be the guy that breaks out. Coronato and Pelletier will be 2nd/3rd liners, but Zary I think has top line potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad