Value of: Connor Murphy

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Start of the offseason I'd have loved to put a package together for him in Toronto, but now we just don't have the space.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Start of the offseason I'd have loved to put a package together for him in Toronto, but now we just don't have the space.
He definitely would have been a good target for the Leafs. Even if we had the cap space, it would be tough to fit him in beyond this season with Hyman needing to be re-signed as well as Dermott and a potential Rielly extension. The only trade scenario right now that may make sense would be something around Kerfoot and Dermott for Murphy.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He definitely would have been a good target for the Leafs. Even if we had the cap space, it would be tough to fit him in beyond this season with Hyman needing to be re-signed as well as Dermott and a potential Rielly extension. The only trade scenario right now that may make sense would be something around Kerfoot and Dermott for Murphy.
At the start of the offseason if the Leafs would have offered Liljegren and Johnsson I think that would have gotten it done.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He'd be perfect for the Leafs now if they could fit him in.

Rielly Brodie

Muzzin Murphy would be a complete top 4

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Toronto would have been all over this prior to signing Brodie. He could still be a fit but as others have mentioned a salary , likely Kerfoot would need to be involved or some sort of retention applied. Like the player but need isn't as large as it once was.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Ever time I’ve watched him he’s looked very solid. Did he really average 4 minutes of power play time with no power play points last season? Or was that a typo

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
A young goalie and draft picks.
I'd argue the historical value for a top 4 D in a trade is also a need for the Hawks in a younger top six winger

besides debrincat and Kubalik, the org is not very deep at high end wing prospects. I think it was evident by their selection of reichel this year in the first round and we can be pinning all our future top six wing hopes on one german prospect that looks to be a few years away

sure we can always move centers over but it would be nice to get some high ceiling wingers natural to their position in the pipeline

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'd argue the historical value for a top 4 D in a trade is also a need for the Hawks in a younger top six winger

besides debrincat and Kubalik, the org is not very deep at high end wing prospects. I think it was evident by their selection of reichel this year in the first round and we can be pinning all our future top six wing hopes on one german prospect that looks to be a few years away

sure we can always move centers over but it would be nice to get some high ceiling wingers natural to their position in the pipeline
It would, but they need someone that is not NHL ready and is 2-3 years away.

Last edited:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
It would, but they need someone that is not NHL ready and is a 2-3 years away.
I don't know who someone like that would be in the Toronto or vancouver pipeline.

podkozlin is the only one I'm familiar with and murphy isn't enough to land him and vancouver isn't moving him regardless, he fits their timeline to arrive when they're team should start peaking

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't know who someone like that would be in the Toronto or vancouver pipeline.

podkozlin is the only one I'm familiar with and murphy isn't enough to land him and vancouver isn't moving him regardless, he fits their timeline to arrive when they're team should start peaking
Amirov would be an option but idk if the Leafs would move him and it sounded in the draft videos that the Hawks weren't particularly high on him.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Amirov would be an option but idk if the Leafs would move him and it sounded in the draft videos that the Hawks weren't particularly high on him.

Seems doubtful. Very early but he's trending well. He doesn't get a 1st in return during this climate imo. A guy like Abramov or Hallander is more the prospect calibre id expect. But it's all moot unless Leafs can move some salary (Kerfoot most likely).

Last edited:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Seems doubtful. Very early but he's trending well. He doesn't get a 1st in return during this climate imo. A guy like Abramov or Hallander is more the prospect calibre id expect. But it's all moot unless Leafs can move some salary (Kerfoot most likely).
huh? murphy wouldn't return a 1st in this climate?

he's a no.3 defensive dman with a physical shutdown style under contract with term remaining in a flat cap world with a $3.85 mil cap hit in his 20s still

that's the type of player GMs would lineup to throw a 1st or similar caliber prospect at in a trade

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
huh? murphy wouldn't return a 1st in this climate?

he's a no.3 defensive dman with a physical shutdown style under contract with term remaining in a flat cap world with a $3.85 mil cap hit in his 20s still

that's the type of player GMs would lineup to throw a 1st or similar caliber prospect at in a trade

Not when Toews and Schmidt get dealt for peanuts , and several good depth options remain unsigned. His cap is a bit better than I thought, but Amirov is a non starter. Prior to Brodie signing maybe they'd have placed a higher priority on a RD , but the need is far less now. Id love to have him but I wouldn't personally deal Amirov. I think he returns a good prospect (but not blue chip) and a decent 2/3 pic. Would be alot of moving parts to enable it to happen when you consider cap implications additionally.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Not when Toews and Schmidt get dealt for peanuts , and several good depth options remain unsigned. His cap is a bit better than I thought, but Amirov is a non starter. Prior to Brodie signing maybe they'd have placed a higher priority on a RD , but the need is far less now. Id love to have him but I wouldn't personally deal Amirov. I think he returns a good prospect (but not blue chip) and a decent 2/3 pic. Would be alot of moving parts to enable it to happen when you consider cap implications additionally.

If the hawks were to deal him it would’ve been at the draft. A trade for him between the hawks and leafs now makes no sense and probably doesn’t make any sense going forward.
Hawks have no need to trade him for peanuts no cap issues unlike the other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad