Prospect Info: Connor Hurley (2013, 38th) – '18-19: Unsigned; Norfolk #16 (ECHL)

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Its the fact that kids coming from High School need a lot more work. For instance, 2 drafts ago (2011) we draft Catenacci in the 3rd round and he already got some time with Rochester and will be there next year. In the 2010, we have already seen Pysyk, Sundher, and Mackenzie get time in Rochester/Buffalo.

That just won't happen with this kid with the route he is going.

Can we all just assume you're going to judge every pick by when they hit the NHL, and not the upside, eventual quality or value, and you can just skip posting it?

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Just wondering, how is he into Notre Dame if he's only a junior? Do athletes not apply anymore or did he apply in advance a year somehow?

This is the case for 3 other kids we drafted too.

Petersen, Malone, and Florintino are all scheduled to enroll in college in 2014-15.

Things could change but I've never seen anything like this before.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Can we all just assume you're going to judge every pick by when they hit the NHL, and not the upside, eventual quality or value, and you can just skip posting it?

For what the BS the company is spewing right now, it is about how quickly they are going to hit the NHL. We are in a rebuilding mode that I don't want to last 5 years. If we were an established team and not needing these assets, I would careless. However, the front office sits up there and spews this rebuilding BS and unless you want the rebuild to last 5 plus years, then you don't draft a guy that high where it will take that long for him to make an impact.

To be honest, if it was up to me, I would have gotten rid of 1 of our 1st rounders and both our second rounders for talent that will contribute this year or next.

We have already missed the playoffs the last two seasons, sorry but I can't take another 5 years of no playoffs during a "rebuild." In a league where more than half the teams make the post season, it is pretty sad how hard this team struggles to make it.

The last player I can really remember drafting out of HS was Brennan. It just felt like forever watching him develop and then when it was all said and done, it wasn't worth the wait. I just watch a good chunk of HS hockey and the skill level just isn't there. Players really don't develop in HS. To me anytime a top prospect is in HS is a wasted year of development.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
For what the BS the company is spewing right now, it is about how quickly they are going to hit the NHL. We are in a rebuilding mode that I don't want to last 5 years. If we were an established team and not needing these assets, I would careless. However, the front office sits up there and spews this rebuilding BS and unless you want the rebuild to last 5 plus years, then you don't draft a guy that high where it will take that long for him to make an impact.

To be honest, if it was up to me, I would have gotten rid of 1 of our 1st rounders and both our second rounders for talent that will contribute this year or next.

We have already missed the playoffs the last two seasons, sorry but I can't take another 5 years of no playoffs during a "rebuild." In a league where more than half the teams make the post season, it is pretty sad how hard this team struggles to make it.

The last player I can really remember drafting out of HS was Brennan. It just felt like forever watching him develop and then when it was all said and done, it wasn't worth the wait. I just watch a good chunk of HS hockey and the skill level just isn't there. Players really don't develop in HS. To me anytime a top prospect is in HS is a wasted year of development.

Brennan was drafted out of St John's of the QMJHL. The last HSer they drafted was Brad Navin in 2011 who was committed to Wisconsin.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I was the only one pushing this kid in the draft thread saying we should take him at 38.

And look at this :)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yeap. Have no problem taking these types of players, but don't take them in the top 40 of a deep draft.

Why? What relationship is there between the draft being strong and taking a guy who is a year off from college? Being a year away from college doesn't make you an inferior prospect, it just means you're young for your draft-eligible year. From the Sabres' perspective they simply took the best prospects. If you would have them do differently then I'm glad you aren't in a position to do so.

What "BS" are they spewing? Wait, don't answer... because it doesn't matter. Our 2nd rounder potentially taking 4-5 years to reach the NHL doesn't somehow slow down the rebuild. Again, you seem to have just no idea how drafting, development, and team-building work in this league. There's only opportunity for at most a few players to filter through to the NHL a year. It's a long process. First step is to get a player that actually makes it to the NHL since that is very far from a certainty in the 2nd round and beyond. You don't consider how long it takes because the only goal is to get the best prospect. Doing anything else limits the odds of you getting players who actually make it to the NHL at all, and that's what slows a rebuild.

I'm fairly certain Hurley is playing in the USHL next season not high school. Who knows how long he's going to college for? It's not set in stone he goes for 4 or even 3 years... or at all.

Maybe next year you can do a super awesome mock draft consisting solely of players who will not only succeed in making it to the NHL but will do so within 2 years, each playing a key role in getting this team into the playoffs.

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
This is the case for 3 other kids we drafted too.

Petersen, Malone, and Florintino are all scheduled to enroll in college in 2014-15.

Things could change but I've never seen anything like this before.

Florentino is scheduled to enroll this fall, as far as I can tell. Also, Petersen is a goalie, so I really don't care if he's far away, that's what you should always assume with goalies (and there are enough guys in the pipeline ahead of him that it's a non-issue)

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
It's gonna take 4-5 years before this team is a true contender anyways. So at that point this kid is going to be on his ELC, which isn't a bad thing in a cap world. Having him on the cheap while guys like Compher, Bailey, Girgensons, Grigorenko, etc. are all looking for their first pay raise is valuable.

At this point it should be about developing a roster that can compete year in and year out for the next decade. If they believe that once Hurley reaches his potential he will be a mainstay for the logn run, then you take him and be patient. Especially when you already have a bunch of guys in the system who are going to be ready sooner.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence

The rebuild just started this deadline, trading away a bunch of our top picks in an excellent draft to get veterans is not what a rebuild is not to mention it being beyond idiotic.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCS

Feb 18, 2008

You're pretty much spot on here. The "suffering" better be worth it.

The rebuild just started this deadline, trading away a bunch of our top picks in an excellent draft to get veterans is not what a rebuild is not to mention it being beyond idiotic.

The person you replied to seems to know the rebuild just started. If I'm reading it right, he's annoyed that their playoff drought is already at two years and will only increase - in a league where making the postseason isn't even that difficult - for however long the rebuild takes (should be multiple years at least, and that's if it's even done right). Hard to blame him if he's fed up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Wait...so we are hinging our playoff expectations in the next few years on who we took with the 38th pick?

Serenity now!

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
You're pretty much spot on here. The "suffering" better be worth it.

The person you replied to seems to know the rebuild just started. If I'm reading it right, he's annoyed that their playoff drought is already at two years and will only increase - in a league where making the postseason isn't even that difficult - for however long the rebuild takes (should be multiple years at least, and that's if it's even done right). Hard to blame him if he's fed up.

You can't have 1 month rebuild is my point, trading away the majority of your draft picks for veterans just prolongs/ puts off the rebuild. it's stupid. we are gonna suck, deal with it and stop *****ing and whining in every ****ing post, it's beyond annoying.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Pretty confident Jankowski is played in college last year so he was drafted as a senior which is a little more common. This kid is a frickin Junior. Not common at all.

remember junior vs senior is based on the state rules and their cut off lines for classes.

NY State cutoff date is thru November while other states its follows the school year where the period of birth is from july thru June.

his birthday is on the cutoff date for draft class so he is the youngest in the draft.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
USofH's Chris Peters wrote:
12. Connor Hurley (Eagan, Minn.) — C — Edina H.S. (MN-HS)

Hurley had a whirlwind season, having played on four different teams between his Minnesota elite league squad, Edina High School, the U.S. National Under-18 Team and Muskegon Lumberjacks.

Hurley’s draft stock is trending down a little bit as playing in junior late in the year may have shown a few more of the cracks in his game, but he still has plenty of development ahead of him.

A strong two-way center who has good offensive skills and solid skating, Hurley has some obvious upside due to some solid hockey sense. He’ll need some work and I believe Hurley will end up playing in the USHL full time next season before heading to Notre Dame.

I like the base skills in his game and expect him to continually grow as a player. He should be a solid prospect for whoever nabs him.

H.S. Stats: 25 GP, 15-28–43, 8 PIM
Projected range: Late-second, mid-third

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Chris Dilks of the Western College Hockey Blog wrote:
Hurley's best assets are that he's an explosive skater, with incredible vision and passing ability. He's got pretty decent size, and a frame that could still fill out a little more, and he can play the center position, which is always valuable in the NHL. If there's a downside, it's that Hurley can be a bit too passive with his play. On a very deep and talented Edina team, there were times where he seemed content to just be one of the guys, rather than the type of standout you'd expect a late first/early second round NHL draft pick to be at the high school level. I wrote this about him after a game in late December:

The night was a little light on college coaches, which meant most of the scouts in the building were of the NHL variety, there to see Edina junior standout Connor Hurley. There's no doubt Hurley is a dynamic skater. He created Edina's first goal while on the penalty kill, when he outraced an Eden Prairie D down the ice to a cleared puck, and passed it over to a teammate for an easy goal. One of the concerns about Hurley is his lack of strength and ability to handle physical play, but that hasn't been as big an issue for me so far this season. Granted, he's playing high schoolers in a league known for its lack of hitting, but I think he's handled what physical play he's seen fairly well. The big concern for me is that at times, he seems almost afraid to shoot the puck. He's a phenomenal passer, but there were definitely times that he was almost dared to shoot, and didn't, or only would as a last resort. The few times he did shoot, his shot wasn't great. That's a concern, but does seem like something he could improve with time. Overall, I didn't move him much one direction or the other[from the early 2nd round. -ed.] on my draft list after this game.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Bill Placzek of DraftSite wrote:
Youngest player in the draft as his birthday is the cut-off mark. He is a good two-way centre with surprising speed, good vision and a strong work ethic. Strong on the puck and ellusive on the run, he is a smart and creative centre who has a quick shot to go with the quick motor. Excellent agility, lightning jump and a fluid strong stride get him wherever he wants to be. Needs to get stronger.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
College Hockey News wrote:
C Connor Hurley (Notre Dame, 45th) - When the puck is on his stick, Hurley is as skilled as any player in the draft. He finished last season with Muskegon (USHL) after a full season with Edina High School in Minnesota. With time and space he’s deadly, showing off his smarts with great decision making and ability to set up his teammates. His speed and acceleration is up there with the best in the draft, including some high-end Europeans. Measuring six feet and 165 pounds, he has decent size but some scouts have criticized his tendency to keep himself to the outside, and shy away from the high-traffic areas. His birthday is late, and he could end up being the youngest player drafted.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
why would such an offensive player choose Notre Dame ?

This kid seems to be a legit NHL prospect much like a Nick Leddy, Nick Bjudstad ect..We basically had 4 first rounders this year.

What is the ETA ? probably 3 years?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
why would such an offensive player choose Notre Dame ?

This kid seems to be a legit NHL prospect much like a Nick Leddy, Nick Bjudstad ect..We basically had 4 first rounders this year.

What is the ETA ? probably 3 years?

at least

and I agree with the position (equivalent of 4 firsts this year)

In a normal draft year, i feel like we these guys would have gone
Risto = top 5
Zadarov = top 10
Compher = Teens
Hurley = Late 1st

2016 can't come soon enough

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It's gonna take 4-5 years before this team is a true contender anyways. So at that point this kid is going to be on his ELC, which isn't a bad thing in a cap world. Having him on the cheap while guys like Compher, Bailey, Girgensons, Grigorenko, etc. are all looking for their first pay raise is valuable.

At this point it should be about developing a roster that can compete year in and year out for the next decade. If they believe that once Hurley reaches his potential he will be a mainstay for the logn run, then you take him and be patient. Especially when you already have a bunch of guys in the system who are going to be ready sooner.

Agreed.

This team may be 5 years away from a cup, but they'll be competitive sooner than that. We won't be watching terrible hockey for four years.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
The MN Hockey Hub staff wrote:
Hurley has been seen as a top-notch recruit since he burst onto the high school hockey scene in 2011-12 with 58 points as a sophomore for Edina. Teamed up with linemate Dylan Malmquist, the pair have sliced up the state, leading to a state title in 2013. A Notre Dame recruit, Hurley has been subject of attention from plenty of schools, media outlets, and now the NHL.

"Connor is quick," Edina coach Curt Giles told the Hockey Hub in December. "He’s deceptively strong. He’s stronger than he looks. He can do everything, he can pass the puck, he can shoot the puck and he can skate."

Soft hands, speed, and passing ability make Hurley a solid prospect. He dished out 32 assists last year and added on 20 goals.

Grand Rapids coach Bruce LaRoque smiled when talking about facing Hurley in December.

“Him and the rest of the group of Edina Hornets,†LaRoque said. “They come at you in waves and certainly he’s a skilled player. I’d like to watch him – you don’t get a chance as a coach.â

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad