Prospect Info: Connor Hurley (2013, 38th) – '18-19: Unsigned; Norfolk #16 (ECHL)

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Ok. I'm a Pens fan, and the Penguins have essentially no centers in their system behind Geno and Sid save Sundqvist next year when Bonino becomes a UFA and Cullen retires. Long shot center prospects with potential but very little cost should be appealing to the Penguins. I wonder if he could be included in a package for Maata or the RFA rights to Sheary. He obviously couldn't be the main piece, but someone worth including I would think.

Not even the desperate for defense Sabres are going to trade for Maata.

These hush-hush things at schools like ND typically revolve around one thing. He's probably done forever and the silence is a part of the deal.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Welp, I don't think ND's defense-first style was doing much for his development. Maybe he can put together a statful season and get some offers on UFA market so that we have something to cry about next summer.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
How in the world was that kept quiet and secret in today's age of info and technology? That's mind boggling to me. Either way I like the move, hopefully we see a break out year.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I realize people go nuts anytime you label a prospect done before the body is officially in the ground but let's call a spade a spade here. This dude is done.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I realize people go nuts anytime you label a prospect done before the body is officially in the ground but let's call a spade a spade here. This dude is done.

Why do you think that? He is only 21 and was drafted out of HS and was known to be a long-term project. He put up decent points in his sophomore NCAA season while playing in a defensive system, and was often played against the opposing team's top line in a shut down role.

Still a giant question mark, but there are bunch of other prospects I would label as done before him.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

He is 21 an played well on Notre Dame for 2.5 years. He is far from done. I wonder if he would go to Europe and play this season.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I was curious if he would go since he can't play in Minnesota this year. And he is too old for the USHL and if he turned pro he couldn't go back to Minnesota.

That would be sacrificing his NCAA eligibility.

Browne88

Oct 20, 2011
I was curious if he would go since he can't play in Minnesota this year. And he is too old for the USHL and if he turned pro he couldn't go back to Minnesota.

Why can't he play for Minnesota this year? Did I miss something?

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Is he just going to sit out and train for a year then? I'd think he'd need some competitive league hockey to maximize his development.

Even if he's not done as a hockey player he's probably done as a Sabres prospect. Doubt we'll still have his rights if and when he's ready to play pro in North America.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How in the world was that kept quiet and secret in today's age of info and technology? That's mind boggling to me. Either way I like the move, hopefully we see a break out year.

I think him going to minnesota was only recent news with more to come.

He is a transfer from a 4 year school, he has to sit out a year.

Sitting out a year....that depends...

Remember he didn't finish the season snd we still don't know why he stopped playing at notre dame

Basketball and football have that rule because they are big money sports to protect coaches from creating all star teams.

Unsure if those same rules apply in other sports with school transfers.

Remember a loophole in the transfer rules allows graduate transfers and not need to sit out a year.

There nay be a few other exceptions to rules that allow a college transfer without having to sit out a year if hockey has that restriction.

Unsure the rules in hockey with grad school transfers and rights or a situation where a player graduates earlier than expected like in 3 years.

Also there is no guarantee of college scholarship for 4 years. A college coach can pull a scholarship from a player. If the ND coach pulled the scholarship from him then he can transfer without restrictions.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Aftet doing more research and seeing div 1 college hockey has special exemption like basketball or football ....With him leaving notre dame I believe before second semester started he could join minnesota in January because he sat out a year and did 2 semesters at minnesota without playing.

Ncaa has done transfer exception in situations like a player injury like in football where tge team starting qb is lost for the season due to injury in august before season starts and someone took his job snd takes the team to a bowl so new person would be the starter next year. . They have also allowed transfers for family reasons such as a parent having cancer. The losing university doesn't protest the move.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Aftet doing more research and seeing div 1 college hockey has special exemption like basketball or football ....With him leaving notre dame I believe before second semester started he could join minnesota in January because he sat out a year and did 2 semesters at minnesota without playing.

Ncaa has done transfer exception in situations like a player injury like in football where tge team starting qb is lost for the season due to injury in august before season starts and someone took his job snd takes the team to a bowl so new person would be the starter next year. . They have also allowed transfers for family reasons such as a parent having cancer. The losing university doesn't protest the move.

It would be good if Hurley could start playing mid-season.

He's completely off the Sabres prospect radar. He was a talented project when drafted. He's got skill, speed, and size. If he could put it together at Minnesota, then join the Sabres, that would be a shot in the prospect arm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad