Congrats to Draisaitl! Most points in a season by a German player!

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
This turns my head a bit:

Taranseko: 63 points
Draisaitl: 61 points
Tavares: 60 points
Ovechkin: 58 points

Pretty, pretty good company there Leon.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
His parents must be excited

Kinky+Germans.jpg

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
To go back to the theme of crow-eating from my earlier thread, man was I ever wrong about Drai. I actually wanted Bennett because while I saw the tantalizing potential in Drai, I figured Edmonton would never be the place for him to develop given our track record. Bennett seemed to need less development even if his ceiling was probably lower. Plus he had sandpaper in his game that I thought the team could use in the top 6. So far, I'm very wrong and very happy about that - Drai's even shown to be a lot tougher and more physical than I expected.

Looking forward to him smashing this mark in future years! :)

It hasn't even been three years yet but the idea that his skating was sub-par seems crazy now.

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
Draisatl has become my favourite player, surprisingly enough.

I know that he's played a lot with some of the best Oilers in recent memory in McDavid and Hall, but I sometimes feel as though they get a lot more credit than they deserve when it comes to the growth of Drai's game; he, more than anyone else, is the catalyst for his own improvement as an offensive force, and as a player in general.

I've come to enjoy the nastiness that he shows every now and again as well :D

Glad to see him set a new milestone for a German-born hockey player. Now, hopefully he'll continue to top his own milestone over and over again over the next several years.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Joins Gretzky and Kurri as players that set their national record in Oilers silks.

I looked through the other countries checking for some hidden Oilers when I found Slovenia.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Do you think that's funny ? It's not ! :thumbd:

It's not supposed to be funny. That's the National Anthem. I'm in support of this. Don't know what offended you.

Edit: When I type "Germany's National Anthem" That was what came up. It has nothing to do with me being 'offensive'. From what I read, there's a verse or two that isn't used anymore but that's what I found when I saw Youtube. It was never to laugh and poke fun at anyone.

Last edited:

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
It's not supposed to be funny. That's the National Anthem. I'm in support of this. Don't know what offended you.

Edit: When I type "Germany's National Anthem" That was what came up. It has nothing to do with me being 'offensive'. From what I read, there's a verse or two that isn't used anymore but that's what I found when I saw Youtube. It was never to laugh and poke fun at anyone.
He probably didn't realize you're not aware of what kinda "version" of the german hymn you posted. After WWII 'til today we're used to the last verse "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit (Unity, right and freedom)", the first 2 verse are viewed as a symbol of NS regime and are forbidden (i think) in Germany.
That's the reason why Empty Netter reacted a little irritated.. ;)

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
He probably didn't realize you're not aware of what kinda "version" of the german hymn you posted. After WWII 'til today we're used to the last verse "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit (Unity, right and freedom)", the first 2 verse are viewed as a symbol of NS regime and are forbidden (i think) in Germany.
That's the reason why Empty Netter reacted a little irritated.. ;)

Nah, the first two aren't forbidden. Lots of people think that the first stanza is, but that's not correct. All three verses were part of the national anthem until 1990, though only the third one was to be played at events. Since re-unification, only the third verse is the anthem.

There isn't really anything wrong with the second verse, the Nazis didn't use that one either. What they did, was take the first verse, spin its meaning on its head and add another song afterwards, while the second and third verse got removed.

The famous phrase from the first verse, "Deutschland Deutschland über alles" could be used as sign of German superiority compared to everyone else, that's how the Nazis used it, but that's not what it actually means. It was written at a time where Germany was split into a ton of various big and small states that were only losely connected. The verse asks the German people to put all the petty squabbles between the various states behind them and form one united Germany.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
A pretty stand up kid saying he didn't want to make a big deal out of it in respect for a great player like Marco Strum.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Brought to mind when the USTA played the Nazi stanza version of the German anthem at the Fed Cup. :shakehead

I think in this case, it's a little more innocent though.

Unlike what the stupid media wants you to believe that stanza has absolutely nothing to do with Nazis what so ever.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
As a consolation for not playing in Cologne this year (IIHF WC) I'd like to see him bring back the cup this summer. That is all.

My German is spotty I was trying to say he will be black rubber king for germany :laugh:

English: Puck
German: Scheibe (or also Puck)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
65 points on the season. 13th in scoring in the NHL. Just a fantastic season from the doctor. Love the player he has turned into.

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
I have no idea why the 90's/early 2000's management gave up on some of the players they did. Guys like Satan and Whitney also come to mind.

Glen Sather in the 90s was obsessed with big and tough players and had little patience with those that didn't fit into this ideal.

Mariusz Czerkawski also comes to mind... He was a talented player but got shuttled too early and even appeared in the all-star game a few years later for the Islanders.

I think the knock on Satan was that he was too soft. He had pretty decent rookie and sophomore years with the Oilers and I thought he had the talent to become better. I remember arguing with some guy on the Oilers newsgroup that he was still young and would improve, but then was called "biased Oiler fan" by a regular there. He ended up with 40-goal and multiple 30 goal seasons.

And Ray Whitney.. ugh.. what a great story he could have become. Local boy, Oilers stick boy, dad practices with team, etc. So little patience was shown for him before he left.

There was a lot of hype about Jochen Hecht coming here and becoming a star one day, and the expectations were too high. Of course, people were still trying to get over the disappointment of Doug Weight's impending free agency and wanted to hang onto something positive from the trade. He was inconsistent, and from what I recall he didn't enjoy playing for Edmonton.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
He is also took sole possession of 7th all time for NHL points by a German national on March 14th vs Dallas.

1. Marco Strum 487pts
2. Jochen Hecht 463pts
3. Christian Ehrhoff 339pts
4. Uwe Krupp 281pts
5.Dennis Seidenberg 243pts
6. Marcel Goc 188pts
7. Leon Driasaitl 121pts

Would be more interesting if players like Kühnhackl sen., Truntschka or Hegen played NHL.

Still the better hymn in my opinion.

Jaeger03

Nov 14, 2008
The famous phrase from the first verse, "Deutschland Deutschland über alles" could be used as sign of German superiority compared to everyone else, that's how the Nazis used it, but that's not what it actually means. It was written at a time where Germany was split into a ton of various big and small states that were only losely connected. The verse asks the German people to put all the petty squabbles between the various states behind them and form one united Germany.

Bingo. Unfortunately it's actual meaning has been twisted to represent (to some) something different and as such it's not viewed as appropriate to use any longer, which is too bad.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
This turns my head a bit:

Taranseko: 63 points >> 65pts
Draisaitl: 61 points >> 69pts
Tavares: 60 points >> 62pts
Ovechkin: 58 points >> 61pts

Pretty, pretty good company there Leon.

A week later!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad