Speculation: Confirmed by Canucks GM Allvin- Canucks have made a contract extension offer to Filip Hronek

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He’s a top pairing RHD who paces around 40 every year who is 26.

Why not?

Because 40 point defensemen who are somewhat one dimensional aren't worth 8.5M

He's been hard carried in the defensive zone by Hughes. Especially more recently. In fact, so far 2024 has been pretty bad for him. Good player and all but if he's looking for that number, we have to explore the trade market.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Isn't he 1 year away from UFA? You will likely pay in 8.5-9.5 range on a long term deal, with the cap going up, or 6-7M on a 1 year arbitration reward.
We wont be paying 8.5-9.5M, someone else might but if he doesn't want to be a potential buyout candidate on a new team within a couple years, he will take 7-7.5M from the Canucks. He's never had to carry a pairing here and has played with arguably the best d-man in the NHL during his entire Canucks tenure. Cant imagine he will find a better situation to play in.

The Canucks are already putting out rumours that they want him under 7 and max will offer 7.1 or 7.2M and if he says no he's going to be traded. Tanev already wants to come back. He'll take around 4M here and slot in next to Hughes quite easily. We replace Hronek's offense with an upgraded 2nd pairing d with the savings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Dunn is a realistic comp. 8.8% CH which translate to 87.5M * 0.088 = 7.7M (4 years). Sets him up for a second contract at 30 years old and I’d argue for NMC given the premium on RH.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Dunn is a realistic comp. 8.8% CH which translate to 87.5M * 0.088 = 7.7M (4 years). Sets him up for a second contract at 30 years old and I’d argue for NMC given the premium on RH.

Vince Dunn is a better defenseman than Hronek today, don't really think that's a good comp. He's a stud regardless of who his partner is, while Hronek's numbers when split from Hughes make him look like a 'JAG' - they're pretty bad (And a pretty substantial sample size). If you're getting paid almost 8 million, you should be capable of carrying your own D-pairing and churn out positive results, but the truth is he's been bad without Hughes. This isn't like Devon Toews - his numbers are somehow better when split from Makar, so there's substantial evidence that he is elite. We don't have that from Hronek.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We wont be paying 8.5-9.5M, someone else might but if he doesn't want to be a potential buyout candidate on a new team within a couple years, he will take 7-7.5M from the Canucks. He's never had to carry a pairing here and has played with arguably the best d-man in the NHL during his entire Canucks tenure. Cant imagine he will find a better situation to play in.

The Canucks are already putting out rumours that they want him under 7 and max will offer 7.1 or 7.2M and if he says no he's going to be traded. Tanev already wants to come back. He'll take around 4M here and slot in next to Hughes quite easily. We replace Hronek's offense with an upgraded 2nd pairing d with the savings.
The closer to $7 mill for any Dman means that they should anchor their own pairing, so if he was split from Hughes and paired with Soucy or someone else like that he'd be fine. Obviously, not as good as when paired with Quinn, so should be capable of helping the other guy anchor pairing 2 as the main guy.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think if he hits UFA, he could probably command 8+ from somebody. Right hand shot, decent point producer... ideally more of a #2 than a #1, but I can see his agent being able to convince a team that needs a top pairing guy to pony up #1 type of money. A fair offer from Vancouver would be around 6.5 IMO.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
100% Playoffs will make or break how i feel about him. He had some ups and downs. More downs in the last half of this season.

Waiting until the playoffs means he can file for arbitration and walk as a UFA next year

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Waiting until the playoffs means he can file for arbitration and walk as a UFA next year
He would be losing the 8th year and risking a lot of money doing that. He's in a very fortunate spot next to Quinn and in that scenario Alvin would trade him this summer to a team that likely has him as the horse on his pairing which might see his game take a step back.

Unless he's not happy here I see a deal getting done my guess is 8×7.5

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
How do you know?
Have you watched him away from Hughes this season? This also supports the eye test that Hronek has not been good without Hughes. This is all at 5 on 5

1710800125855.png

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Hes played with Hughes 90% of the time. I dont put much stock into random minutes here and there. And I dont give a shit what he did with the Wings. They were a tire fire.

The thing we need to ask is…..what if Hughes got hurt for a bunch of games or left via free agency. Can Hronek be a top dog?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Hes played with Hughes 90% of the time. I dont put much stock into random minutes here and there. And I dont give a shit what he did with the Wings. They were a tire fire.

The thing we need to ask is…..what if Hughes got hurt for a bunch of games or left via free agency. Can Hronek be a top dog?
*79%

I hate when the facts don’t line up with my hopes as well.

Reactions: Grantham

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Hronek can 100% carry his own line and be a top pairing RD. He wont produce like Q Hughes can but not many would.

Him and Soucy would actually be a really good top pairing with shutdown capabilities and can allow Hughes to play less exhausting matchups.

The problem is , the Canucks dont have anyone to play with Hughes at the moment, Myers is their best option or Juulsen.

I think the Canucks main priority this summer will be to get another top 4 Dman for Hughes and a top 6 winger for Pettersson.

Hronek should get somewhere around 6 years at 7.25 mil.

BlamBlam

Jan 25, 2010
Don’t see him as a legit #2. There should be a defenseman between him and Hughes on the depth chart.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think we will see something like 8 years 7 million.

Gives him his 56 million dollars and gives the Nucks a staple to the lineup. NMC first 4 years.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Casual fans wont realize the impact Hronek has playing with Hughes.

The fact that Hronek is gifted offensively himself and possess a booming shot allows more space for Hughes in the Ozone.

How many times have we seen Hughes able to dangle in the Ozone and criss-cross with Hronek without seeing double team or collapsed forwards, this is because Forwards have to stay honest in the Dzone because Hronek is on the opposite side.

You put Hughes with with a defensive minded shut down guy with no Offensive capabilities like a Tanev for instance, and you will see teams collapse more on Hughes and force Tanev to handle the puck and make offensive plays.

Hughes being on pace for 93 pts has very much to do with his god given talents but dont under-estimate the value of having Hronek as his partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad