News Article: Confidence in the Front Office

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
You would think Buchnevich was getting Hart votes with how some of the analytics community treat his loss for the Rangers.

I love Buch, but the reaction has been as if we had traded Panarin AND Lafreniere and somehow lost our current best player and future best player.

Buch rocks and I love the player he became, but the reactions have been over the top. The rebuild apparently a failure because we lost him, despite the fact that we have Kakko and Lafreneiere - the jewels of the rebuild (with Fox) - that are ready to replace Buch. Were we supposed to keep Buch and relegate Lafreniere and Kakko to bottom 6 roles and then sit around wondering why neither of them panned out? Sign him to a 1 year deal and trade him at the deadline, despite being a team with playoff aspirations and not wanting another deadline purge?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
There's nothing wrong with Dom L. if you take his info in context.

Some people just like to dump on "stat nerds," so they can pretend their own eyes are better.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
well Detroit fans are the biggest homers in the universe plus they have the infallible god Stevie Y running the ship so obviously their confidence is thru the roof.

Detroit being ranked as a top-5 front office is pretty crazy since the moves they made either haven't made them a contender or are still too recent to be judged. But yeah, Yzerman in Detroit gets more praise than Messier in New York. It's crazy.

He's been there for 2 years. Any draft pick he made is too young to make an impact yet, and the moves he's made in the trade market are good, but not really stellar. If Detroit deserves to be there for "potential" so should LA.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
well Detroit fans are the biggest homers in the universe plus they have the infallible god Stevie Y running the ship so obviously their confidence is thru the roof.
Yeah I guess. It's just odd to see Detroit so high since all he's done so far is tank. Blind faith in the Yzerplan it seems.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Detroit being ranked as a top-5 front office is pretty crazy since the moves they made either haven't made them a contender or are still too recent to be judged. But yeah, Yzerman in Detroit gets more praise than Messier in New York. It's crazy.
Not crazy at all. It's called a track record. Buys a lot of runway in this world.

Reactions: will1066

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Yep, the plan likely would have been the same, and people need to remember that Gorton wasn't exactly Mr. Stingy when it came to handing out contracts. It was like 50/50 with him when a contract was signed--half of them seemed (to many on this board) like big-time overpayments, half of them were deemed as "fine."

People act as if everything Gorton and JD did was f***ing gold. In reality, a lot of it was heavily disliked here. That doesn't have anything to do with Drury, of course, other than to serve as a reminder to all the people that pine for the halcyon days of JD and Gorts that that shit wasn't all roses and sunshine then, either.
"The GM I hate most is the one that is the current GM for my team of course."

- Every NHL fan ever.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
How is cap management not the worst # ?!?!

Go back to Sather and on up... we're AWFUL at cap management. No matter who's running the show.
I don't pay attention to other team's situations as much as NYR's; are there any other team that is consistently (or currently) a cap shit show like it feels the Rangers are? How the hell can this team ALWAYS be in the spirals of cap apocalypse, in perpetuity, especially the past four years of rebuilding with no playoffs?

TBL wins cups while massively over the cap (lol), years ago Chicago would dump all but four players EOY but still win every other year, Pitt and Wash can literally do whatever they want whenever they want with unlimited cap space, but the Rangers cannot even ice a full NHL team with three centers? WTF?

Reactions: Riche16

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
:laugh:

upload_2021-8-30_19-29-21.png

#Hockeytown

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
to be honest the shesty deal to me kinda looks like they don't view him as the next Lundqvist who will be here for the next decade so much as "good goalie but we're keeping our options open for the future"
But honestly... that's appropriate. He hasn't established himself as the goalie of the next decade yet.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

He's been there for 2 years. Any draft pick he made is too young to make an impact yet, and the moves he's made in the trade market are good, but not really stellar. If Detroit deserves to be there for "potential" so should LA.

thinking there is a residual praise from Tampa while Seiders perceived development helps too.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If the Rangers improve then does Drury get more confidence in him? It's too early.

This is based on Gorton and JD being likeable and Drury having a dry personality. Other than the Buch trade, I don't see much in the way of good or bad and even that trade is TBD.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers had the same offseason they've been having for years except for two things:

1) Instead of getting McQuaid, McLeod, and Haley to hit, fight and be VETZ, they got objectively better players to do that.

2) They didn't have Kakko/Lafreniere draft picks to placate everyone and make them forget the rest of the offseason.

If you don't like the overall direction of the team, I guess that's your prerogative, but I need somebody to explain to me how Gorton was different. Every other word out of his mouth was "character" and he had a massive boner for bad players. Since he was dismissed, he's being treated as this forward-thinker who loved analytics and skill.

And miss me with "but Goodrow's contract!" Gorton inked the Trouba deal because he looked at Fox and (at the time) DeAngelo and went "short man bad."

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Drury basically is taking the team in the direction I think it needed to go. I was hoping for more with the Buch deal though and I think he could have done better at the draft and I would have gone with Wallstedt. That said Blais is a decent player and Othmann a very good prospect.

We needed to add more physical presence but also find guys who can fit into roles. Goodrow, Blais, Nemeth, Reaves and Hunt are guys like that. They deepen the team in areas that needed to get deeper. We have loads of talent. We were short on battle and short on those we could depend on to do the little things that win hockey games.

This Athletic journalist isn’t very good.
This. That’s why this article is little more then toilet paper. Context is key and it doesn’t take into consideration what the rangers have as a whole, and just jumping to conclusion on the perceived bad moves.
The clock has been ticking on Buch for a while as a Ranger. It was plain as day for anyone to see that we weren’t resigning him with what we have in the system and Kreids and panarin signed. There were also questions about Buch if he can continue to produce this way over an 82 GM full year. In the past, he’s gone many games without showing up on the scoreboard, just like kreider. His best 2 years statistically, have come in shortened seasons and projections come heavily into play. Nothing is a given at that point
Goodrow is a solid move and an important player on any team looking to play in the playoffs or for the cup. He’s a great add for NY. There’s no reason to be hung up on 6 years. If his play falls off a cliff after 4-5 seasons, his buyout doesn’t hurt this team.
Blais, Hunt, Goodrow, and Reaves all good character/locker room types that play physical and are not just run of the mill bottom 6 types. Each guy has their own unique style that addressing what this team lacked for a while now.
I think Many people are sleeping on Blais’ skillset. Sure he can hit and grind, but he can also score and play with top talent, much like Goodrow in that regard. I think when people see Blais in a similar role to what Blackwell was last season, and see what he can do, most fans will change their feelings on him. He def has the ability to score 40 pts depending on where he plays.
Adding this guys may not have been the sexy moves, but they were currently the right moves in addressing what this team sorely needed. Our system had no one like these players coming up soon. It was vital to add that style to the line up and in the locker room ASAP.
This team is better, more balanced, and more competitive then the team we saw on the ice last season. It also should be better going forward for years to come.
To me, Drury did his job. He’s seen/heard the biggest concerns the team has, and addressed them with solid players with good character going FWD. Blais and Goodrow both has won the cup as well. Very wise to add guys like that to a young impressionable locker room.
Drurys biggest blunder to me, was not trading strome before the season starts. Between Goodrow, Barron, etc they are guys who can step into the 3C role. Having Strome block Chytil out of critical top 6 minutes in an important year is wrong. Strome is also going to take PP time away from one of the kids. He’s got to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYRangers16

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If the Rangers improve then does Drury get more confidence in him? It's too early.

This is based on Gorton and JD being likeable and Drury having a dry personality. Other than the Buch trade, I don't see much in the way of good or bad and even that trade is TBD.

Gorton did a good job
Davidson IMO didn't really impact anything
Drury has the same philosophy as Gorton and will be fine

The one thing fans need to understand is that Gorton addressed the same needs as Drury has been doing this summer.

Trading for Lemieux, Lindgren and Trouba
Signing Rueschhoff, Rooney
Drafting Edström, Cuylle, Schneider

It's not like the Rangers were allergic to acquiring physical players. And the moves this summer would have been the same under Gorton. Maybe different individuals (Coleman instead of Goodrow or something) but the same weakness addressed.

Drury will be fine. And Gorton is still highly regarded throughout the league and will find a new GM gig.

Reactions: leetch99 and nyr2k2

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
If the Wilson nonsense never happened everyone would be praising this off-season as making the rangers playoffs ready (maybe with the exception of the Buch trade). Instead you would think we traded Lafreniere for Reaves and Fox for Tinordi based of some of the reactions. It’s honestly comical how down everyone is on the rangers when we should absolutely be a better team this year. If the rangers don’t keep progressing, it will be a failure on Kakko and Laf, not because we moved on from Buch.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Others have said it all--this is what the off-season would have looked like regardless of whether we kept JD and Gorton.

I honestly feel like if the return was better in the Buchnevich deal a substantial majority of the doom-and-gloom crowd would feel totally differently. Based on what we've read about the Rangers ongoing efforts to trade him, it doesn't sound like a market developed. Doing a self-rental was never a reality and neither was waiting until a TDL when you anticipated your team being in the thick of it. I'm not super happy with the deal but am generally resigned to the fact that the timing and circumstances just worked against us on it.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident with the FO at the moment. I like a lot of the staffing moves (some I don't know enough about), I like many of the players they brought in, I like the way the team is shaping up and I think the draft was pretty solid.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Others have said it all--this is what the off-season would have looked like regardless of whether we kept JD and Gorton.

I honestly feel like if the return was better in the Buchnevich deal a substantial majority of the doom-and-gloom crowd would feel totally differently. Based on what we've read about the Rangers ongoing efforts to trade him, it doesn't sound like a market developed. Doing a self-rental was never a reality and neither was waiting until a TDL when you anticipated your team being in the thick of it. I'm not super happy with the deal but am generally resigned to the fact that the timing and circumstances just worked against us on it.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident with the FO at the moment. I like a lot of the staffing moves (some I don't know enough about), I like many of the players they brought in, I like the way the team is shaping up and I think the draft was pretty solid.

re: The Buch deal, everyone wanted Laf/Kakko/Chytil/Krav to get more opportunities in the top 6 instead of being relegated to the 3rd/4th lines because they tried to stick handle once. Not necessarily stapling them to the top lines even if they're playing like ass, but just more opportunities in bigger roles. I know Buch alone wasn't blocking things from happening for all those players, but it seems a lot of these moves for bottom 6ers/13th forwards allows those top guys to actually get more top 6 time + rounding out the middle/bottom 6. The ice time should get divided among the players we wanted to see getting more instead of Howden and Blackwell. It's time to see what these highly-touted kids can do with the ice time we wanted them to get last season. They'll have plenty of protection/tough SOBs around to lend a hand or two.

re: FO confidence, they went out and got *the* coach that everyone saw as the best option. Quinn was labeled somewhat of a hinderance to some players' growth and made some strange lineup decisions. We'll have to wait and see how everything plays out under Gallant in that aspect. I'm especially excited to see Kakko - I always think back to his first(?) year when he talked about wanting to be a difference-maker and I just want to see him take the f***ing bull by the horns and go off. Aside from a lackluster Buch trade on paper, I'm super excited to see how the team looks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad