Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
upload_2021-8-30_8-47-55.jpeg

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I dislike most of Drury's moves on their own (even if I understand what they're trying to do) but a lot of the pain and inflexibility coming our way is from contracts Gorton inked. I think, with the benefit of hindsight, he was massively overrated.

I haven't seen much of anything that Drury's done that wasn't in the plan for JD/JG for this off-season.
listen I have not liked Drury's tenure here, and I am not happy with how it's gone so far, but JG would've happily made these exact moves, and probably even worse ones.

He's discussed as some visionary who'd never do this, meanwhile he's willingly acquired Adam McQuaid, Cody McLeod, Micheal Haley, and a bunch other crap in the name of character and grit. At least Drury got f***ing NHL Players.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
listen I have not liked Drury's tenure here, and I am not happy with how it's gone so far, but JG would've happily made these exact moves, and probably even worse ones.

He's discussed as some visionary who'd never do this, meanwhile he's willingly acquired Adam McQuaid, Cody McLeod, Micheal Haley, and a bunch other crap in the name of character and grit. At least Drury got f***ing NHL Players.

I think the only one of all of these things that might have gone *slightly* differently is the return on the Buchnevich trade. The winger trade market absolutely sucked for sellers this off-season, but Gorton maybe negotiates it up to a 1st or gets an additional 3rd or something like that. Not really a big difference.

You and I will always disagree on the utility of the types of players they brought it, but the blueprint is the same. After all, Drury was trained for this position by Gorton himself.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The big question about drury vs gorton is would gorton have kept quinn? When gorton was fired the surprise was we all considered the season a success because the team finished where we wanted them to (playoffs were not a reasonable expectation), and alot of the conversation was that this might've earned quinn another year even ignoring the fact that he clearly does not really develop high end talent well.

Drury on the other hand signed the coach we wanted/expected, and the AGM role was filled with someone we were happy to see.

The lindgren signing was probably fully negotiated by gorton so drury doesn't get that one.

I didnt fill that survey out because at the moment its incomplete. We're less than 4 months into a drury tenure and you need more than that to evaluate a GM.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The big question about drury vs gorton is would gorton have kept quinn? When gorton was fired the surprise was we all considered the season a success because the team finished where we wanted them to (playoffs were not a reasonable expectation), and alot of the conversation was that this might've earned quinn another year even ignoring the fact that he clearly does not really develop high end talent well.
I don't know if Quinn would have gotten another year. Certainly the change in the FO improved the chances that Quinn was not going to be retained.

Drury on the other hand signed the coach we wanted/expected, and the AGM role was filled with someone we were happy to see.
Is this a positive? It's not the GM's job to get a coach the fans want. It's his job to get the coach that's best for the job. That might be the same person in this case. My biggest issue with the process is there really were only two candidates that came to light: Gallant and Tocchet. So was that really doing a deep dive. And ultimately, Gallant was a bit like AV when they signed him: a seemingly obvious and easy pick.

Reactions: eco's bones

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
If you're going to be in the free agency market, which I believe Gorton would have, you're going to overpay. That's what it means to be in that market.

You're definitely right about that. My facetiousness probably required a :sarcasm:.

If we isolate every move that Drury made, they mostly look bad. But if we take context into account, then they don't look bad at all:
  • Buch trade looks bad but then look at the most comparable being Reinhart and it looks fine. The trade market was f***ed. Still is. look at what the Vezina winning goalie got in a trade, nothing.
  • Goodrow signing seems overpriced for a 3rd liner, but then you realize he was actually playing second line minutes on a Stanley cup winning stacked TBL team and it looks pretty good actually.
  • Reaves signing looks like a reaction to Tom Wilson injuring our star player. Like, okay, this is a good thing. Panarin and other players would probably be pissed if we didn't get an answer.
  • Nemeth was bad in the playoffs. well he was bad in that one highlight that everyone saw, but he is actually a positive contributor to his team defensively over his career.
  • Tinordi sucks lol. well he is depth and competition and toughness and can be buried so he literally doesn't matter
Everytime we think drury sucks just remember that he traded howden.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gorton would have approached the same type of players, which are always overpaid in free agency. They may have gone after a different individual but the plan was the same.
Yep, the plan likely would have been the same, and people need to remember that Gorton wasn't exactly Mr. Stingy when it came to handing out contracts. It was like 50/50 with him when a contract was signed--half of them seemed (to many on this board) like big-time overpayments, half of them were deemed as "fine."

People act as if everything Gorton and JD did was f***ing gold. In reality, a lot of it was heavily disliked here. That doesn't have anything to do with Drury, of course, other than to serve as a reminder to all the people that pine for the halcyon days of JD and Gorts that that shit wasn't all roses and sunshine then, either.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Didn't even need to click the link to know who wrote this article. Feeling better and better about ditching my subscription.

Rangers needed to add bite to the lineup. That was universally accepted heading into the off-season, even before the Wilson shit went down. They signed a guy the majority of this board lusted over in Goodrow. They brought in a heavy weight who can actually skate a regular shift on the 4th line most nights. They brought in a guy who likely can bounce around the top-3 lines to add something that group has been missing. All they lost was one guy they couldn't afford to keep anyway and who was blocking two of our most important players from getting more meaningful minutes. Do I love the Buch trade at face value? No but I'm willing to see what we have in Blais before acting like Drury nuked the future of the franchise in one deal.

Some people are only happy when they're unhappy.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Honestly, how do you guys view ‘NYR fans’ ability to evaluate our management?

It has zero importance and I think we have the best fans in the league hands down, one of the reasons I love this team is the character of the fans — but lol, I would definitely not like this org to be run by the fans with a majority vote.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I don't know if Quinn would have gotten another year. Certainly the change in the FO improved the chances that Quinn was not going to be retained.

Is this a positive? It's not the GM's job to get a coach the fans want. It's his job to get the coach that's best for the job. That might be the same person in this case. My biggest issue with the process is there really were only two candidates that came to light: Gallant and Tocchet. So was that really doing a deep dive. And ultimately, Gallant was a bit like AV when they signed him: a seemingly obvious and easy pick.
I thought there was a discussion that we had with a swedish coach as well, but he didnt get past the first round of interviews.
I dont think the point of a GM is to hire the person the fans "want", but i think most of us look at whats the best person for the job, and use some of the same logic that the GM will use.
Had he gone completely out there for the role, we'd probably be looking for what logic or what did he see in that coach, and how will that define his tenure.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I thought there was a discussion that we had with a swedish coach as well, but he didnt get past the first round of interviews.
I dont think the point of a GM is to hire the person the fans "want", but i think most of us look at whats the best person for the job, and use some of the same logic that the GM will use.
Had he gone completely out there for the role, we'd probably be looking for what logic or what did he see in that coach, and how will that define his tenure.
Even is there a was a Swedish coach, that makes three known candidates. Not sure that qualifies as a thorough search.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Still can't get over how the sentiment went from "NYR will be contending as a powerhouse for YEARS in the very near future" to "rebuild destroyed" in a matter of months because we traded a winger that ONLY ONE TEAM WANTED TO SIGN and signed a two time cup winning glue guy...what the hell is wrong with people? I am generally pessimistic about how next season is going to play out, but there's a damned limit to my hysteria. Last year, under JD and Gorton, CANNOT BE TOPPED in disfunction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad