Conan O’Brien going to HBO Max

Sep 19, 2008
We had a Conan thread previously that vanished in the server updates so I just posted it in the late night show thread.

I was a huge fan of Conan on NBC but his TBS show has been meh. He had been fading it out anyway and reducing it to 30 min instead of 1 hour. Now he's going fully to HBO Max. I still think he's pretty talented it's just that his best work is with remotes, which will continue with "Conan Without Borders".

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
We had a Conan thread previously that vanished in the server updates so I just posted it in the late night show thread.

I was a huge fan of Conan on NBC but his TBS show has been meh. He had been fading it out anyway and reducing it to 30 min instead of 1 hour. Now he's going fully to HBO Max. I still think he's pretty talented it's just that his best work is with remotes, which will continue with "Conan Without Borders".

I can’t get into the Conan without borders episodes. It’s an interesting idea, but I just don’t find it that enjoyable.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I can’t get into the Conan without borders episodes. It’s an interesting idea, but I just don’t find it that enjoyable.

Some of them are annoying as they have put extended versions of scenes online and they have a lot of extra scenes online as well. It feels annoying as why can't they just put the whole thing in one episode so that I don't have to find all the pieces to have the full experience. I am sure that the network wouldn't mind a bit longer episode. Then if you must have online content, have one or two deleted scenes that aren't that essential, but are funny for online site.

Conan is my favourite talk show host and one of my favorite celebrities. First I saw the headline that he was quitting I thought he was done for good, but I was so relieved to find out he continues making entertainment. With that said, I don't know how his new show will work and if it's even about comedy or what it is. I am a bit worried, how it is going to work. Good thing is that they let people be creative on streaming services as I don't want him to be bound. His current show is quite restricted, which limits what he can do. Now they saved the only thing from his show that allows him to be free and do fun stuff.

I understand why he wants to do something new and I am happy that I get to see him do entertainment in the future as well. Just a little worried about, what kind of entertainment it will be.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Some of them are annoying as they have put extended versions of scenes online and they have a lot of extra scenes online as well. It feels annoying as why can't they just put the whole thing in one episode so that I don't have to find all the pieces to have the full experience. I am sure that the network wouldn't mind a bit longer episode. Then if you must have online content, have one or two deleted scenes that aren't that essential, but are funny for online site.

Conan is my favourite talk show host and one of my favorite celebrities. First I saw the headline that he was quitting I thought he was done for good, but I was so relieved to find out he continues making entertainment. With that said, I don't know how his new show will work and if it's even about comedy or what it is. I am a bit worried, how it is going to work. Good thing is that they let people be creative on streaming services as I don't want him to be bound. His current show is quite restricted, which limits what he can do. Now they saved the only thing from his show that allows him to be free and do fun stuff.

I understand why he wants to do something new and I am happy that I get to see him do entertainment in the future as well. Just a little worried about, what kind of entertainment it will be.

He is clearly still interested in creating things. I’d be shocked if he retired and did nothing. He still has his podcast, which I don’t love because there is too much filler and not enough time talking to his guest, but everyone has a podcast these days, so it doesn’t surprise me he’d start doing one. He will be around in one way or another for a long time, I’m sure.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Only talk show (host) I ever watched in ongoing practice, for longer than I can imagine. The latest format wasn't so great but I still enjoyed it most of the time. The COVID format has been interesting too. I don't have nor want HBO Max though, so I guess it finally comes to an end for me. I'll watch funny clips as they get shared around the 'net, but that's it.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
He is clearly still interested in creating things. I’d be shocked if he retired and did nothing. He still has his podcast, which I don’t love because there is too much filler and not enough time talking to his guest, but everyone has a podcast these days, so it doesn’t surprise me he’d start doing one. He will be around in one way or another for a long time, I’m sure.

I too agree that Conan seems to be very interested in making stuff. I think just last year he said in some interview that he doesn't know when he'll retire because he's still motivated in creating and experimenting- He seems to be fascinated with the multiple different media that exist today. The field of entertainment is more versatile and is not dominated by television companies that decide, which stuff should exist and which shouldn't. Even though Conan isn't as big draw in TBS as he used to be, he can still find his fans through other channels.

Too me that filler in podcast is often the best part when Conan is unleashed he can just go on with his madness.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Loved Conan in the 90s and in the Walker Texas Ranger lever era. TBS show hasn't been good.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
He was really funny on the tonight show w in the Fallon too.

Really looking forward to the new show. Just wish it was more than 4 episodes.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I've always liked Conan a lot more than the other slate of late night hosts. Him, Letterman, and Ferguson. Hope his HBO Max show does well

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Can't believe people still watch talkshows it's absurd. It's a long time ago they talked about anything remotely interesting on these type of shows, Dick Cavett used to have Hitchcock and Orson Welles on, now they have..... I don't even want to think about who they have on nowadays. And Conan was probably one of the least insufferable modern ones, but his new format where he conducts "serious" conversation with famous people was just painful to watch (caught a shorter segment where he talked to Rivers Cuomo where he essentially just fawned over Cuomo's alleged/perceived "genius").

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Can't believe people still watch talkshows it's absurd. It's a long time ago they talked about anything remotely interesting on these type of shows, Dick Cavett used to have Hitchcock and Orson Welles on, now they have..... I don't even want to think about who they have on nowadays. And Conan was probably one of the least insufferable modern ones, but his new format where he conducts "serious" conversation with famous people was just painful to watch (caught a shorter segment where he talked to Rivers Cuomo where he essentially just fawned over Cuomo's alleged/perceived "genius").
Christiane Amanpour has been on a lot recently, it's not all bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad