Prospect Info: Comrie wants to break Fuhrs 79 game record

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=694235

VANCOUVER -- Eric Comrie doesn't plan on just stopping pucks in the NHL.

Comrie, who was picked 59th by the Winnipeg Jets in the NHL Draft this summer, has made it his goal to play an entire 82-game season, a feat that would best the record of 79 games held by Grant Fuhr for the St. Louis Blues in 1995-96.

Well that's confidence.

Read the whole article, lots of good tidbits in there. I don't want to pick them out and spoil it.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder how serious the comment was.
I bet if you asked most goalies they would say they wanted to play 82 games.
Brodeur played 77 games twice and 78 once. I bet you he wasn't pleased about the few games he didn't start.
It's not going to happen, but I don't mind the kids attitude.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I wonder how serious the comment was.
I bet if you asked most goalies they would say they wanted to play 82 games.
Brodeur played 77 games twice and 78 once. I bet you he wasn't pleased about the few games he didn't start.
It's not going to happen, but I don't mind the kids attitude.

Comrie-bot, bro

If Garret mated with a Cylon I would expect similar offspring

jetkarma*

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=694235

Well that's confidence.

Read the whole article, lots of good tidbits in there. I don't want to pick them out and spoil it.

Thanks for the link.

He seems very focused . I was surprised he wasn't selected to TC , in fact I thought he was the Jet most likely to be based on competition and that they would have 3 goalies.

Saying that I think it is less beneficial for him than it will be for Morrissey and Petan , so I am more than ok with that tradeoff if indeed that is how it unfolds.

Impressed on how he has played after the surgery and like the article states , that may turn out to be an advantage as we got him later than what I believe his value will prove to be.

He will garner lots of game and practice experience over the next several years and in 3 years or so we should have some very good young goaltenders pressing for playing time.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for the link.

He seems very focused . I was surprised he wasn't selected to TC , in fact I thought he was the Jet most likely to be based on competition and that they would have 3 goalies.

Saying that I think it is less beneficial for him than it will be for Morrissey and Petan , so I am more than ok with that tradeoff if indeed that is how it unfolds.

Impressed on how he has played after the surgery and like the article states , that may turn out to be an advantage as we got him later than what I believe his value will prove to be.

He will garner lots of game and practice experience over the next several years and in 3 years or so we should have some very good young goaltenders pressing for playing time.

Maybe his surgery is one of the reasons why TC didn't pick him?

jetkarma*

Maybe his surgery is one of the reasons why TC didn't pick him?

Can't see that as he has not had any issues after the surgery and he has handled a big and consistent workload so far this season.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I thought Comrie was the best goalie in the 2013 draft, and I still do. So happy that the Jets nabbed him, even happier that he seems to be picking up where he left off in 2012-13 before his hip surgery.

Is it wrong that a small part of me wants Fucale and Patterson to fail, just to punish Hockey Canada for not including him? :naughty:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I thought Comrie was the best goalie in the 2013 draft, and I still do. So happy that the Jets nabbed him, even happier that he seems to be picking up where he left off in 2012-13 before his hip surgery.

Is it wrong that a small part of me wants Fucale and Patterson to fail, just to punish Hockey Canada for not including him? :naughty:

Statistically that is possible since Fucale hasn't done so well ;)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Thanks for the link. He seems like a real student of the game, with a great work ethic between games.
I especially liked this bit:

"That's what separates him is the ability to play well at both ends of the spectrum," said Lyle Mast, Comrie's goaltending coach in Tri-City. "That ability to economize movements based on the way the game is playing, to be very quiet and match the pace of game, and then to elevate when required, and show full-on athleticism when we are under siege and the other team is overwhelming us."

From the bit I saw of him this fall, his positioning is impeccable, so he wastes very little movement and energy until it is needed. It is precisely this type of goalie (as opposed to Pav) who could actually play 70-plus games, including BTBs, without tiring.

Great, pick! It feels as if we picked 3 first-Rounders this year.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
This is another good tidbit:

"The Jets want me to play a little bit more of an aggressive game, get out of my crease a little, stay at the top of the crease, and stay aggressive when traffic comes," Comrie said, adding that Winnipeg also asked him to work on his puck-handling, which he does every day now. "They felt my movement is good enough to start above the crease at all times."

Clearly this organization values puck handling. Brodeur is obviously famous for it, yet his career sv% isn't that spectacular. But when you can handle the puck like he can, it actually reduces shots against. Pavelec handles the puck poorly, other teams know this so they shoot the puck directly at him crossing the blue line, or dump it behind him. I wonder if they've told Pavelec he needs to improve his puck handling game?

jetkarma*

Clearly this organization values puck handling. Brodeur is obviously famous for it, yet his career sv% isn't that spectacular. But when you can handle the puck like he can, it actually reduces shots against. Pavelec handles the puck poorly, other teams know this so they shoot the puck directly at him crossing the blue line, or dump it behind him. I wonder if they've told Pavelec he needs to improve his puck handling game?

Noticed Comrie said he is working on that each day and also how he states he approaches practice. It is one thing to be told/asked and another to embrace that. Pretty clear Comrie has fully embraced it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If the organization values puck handling, then Pavelec must drive them crazy. He's very inept at that phase of the game. I'm surprised that he hasn't seemed to improve that at all over the past few seasons. Does he not work on it, or is he just to weak or coordinated to improve?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

All 6-5 wins for Canada, with Petan and Morrissey getting all the goals, and never being on the ice for a goal against? :sarcasm:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Oh you know people will still be saying Fucale had the winning pedigree which allowed him to do enough to win....

Yep.

And when he wins games allowing 2 goals on 18 shots, you'll hear about how "Zach Fucale is such an ideal goalie to have on a great team, he stays so focused when the shot totals are low. Not every netminder can be that sharp after long periods of inactivity".

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oh you know people will still be saying Fucale had the winning pedigree which allowed him to do enough to win....

It takes "mental toughness" to win, even if you let in 5 goals on 25 shots. A "winning pedigree" is what matters most. :sarcasm:

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
It's very easy to determine why the Jets drafted Comrie - attitude, attitude, attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised to know that the Jets had a laser focus on Comrie well before the draft. This is a kid who's attitude fits like a puzzle piece with TNSE's philosophy. He'll make the jump from junior to the NHL, I think, without the hiccups that many other junior players encounter.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

When Mikka Kipprosoff was traded to the Flames in December 2003 he was a terrible puck handler.

Darryl Sutter had him practice it and after a while he was one of the best at handling the puck.

I've read comment from our defencemen about how they like how Al Montoya can handle the puck.

If Kiprosoff can learn how to do it so can Pavelec.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It's very easy to determine why the Jets drafted Comrie - attitude, attitude, attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised to know that the Jets had a laser focus on Comrie well before the draft. This is a kid who's attitude fits like a puzzle piece with TNSE's philosophy. He'll make the jump from junior to the NHL, I think, without the hiccups that many other junior players encounter.

Actually, I heard on draft day Jets weren't planning on drafting a goalie, but when Comrie fell to them they said there is no way in hell that they couldn't. (not verbatim)

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The way I look at it is we got a premiere D, F, and a G last draft. Morrissey and Petan could easily be top 3 of their respective position, and Comrie could easily be the best goalie.

jetkarma*

Actually, I heard on draft day Jets weren't planning on drafting a goalie, but when Comrie fell to them they said there is no way in hell that they couldn't. (not verbatim)

From pieces of information I have been told , that is pretty much what unfolded.

They were not targeting a goalie , especially relatively high , but had a very strong grade on Comrie and were more than happy to take him where they did.

I like that they plan but the plans aren't so rigid as to not be altered when needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad