Speculation: Compliance Buyouts - Who should the Leafs use one on?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
IIRC there have been 2 rounds of compliance buyouts right?

gotta run ...

accompanied by rollbacks. The game was changed then this is a financial hit based on a. Quarantine

there was no cap drop in 2013.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You don't get it.
Sorry.
They all play like they are 5'2" 120 lbs.
Engvall plays like a girl for god sakes.
6'1" 200 lbs my ass.
More Muzzin.
More Clifford.
More Hyman.
Get rid of the girly boys.
You know who they are.
The Dubas Faves.
A false narrative would be saying the Leafs Avg height and weight mean anything.
Everyone knows they are soft as butter.

Ha.

Sorry, I do get it, and also know how to effectively communicate, that which I think.

If you intend to say something, use words to effectively do so.

If your opinion is the Leafs are too soft, say it directly. They need more grit for sure, but they don't need to get rid of all of the talent to do so... one, maybe two bodies changes everything. That, and the young guys need to mature, and learn the game. We started to see some of that with Matty this year, and Nylander as well.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Most fans really don't get it. But it is not only a function of your size and weight ie Clark, Domi and Killer all pretty small men. Those 3 were very strong but lacked height and weight. I have always thought the key was your core strength and edge balance. Of course heart to go to war is required too. Not everybody has it. When you go into a fight - fight for your life but be prepared to die. I always felt the best warriors I went up against were like that. If you aren't prepared to die then don't go to war.

Its the size of the fight in the dog for sure. The Leafs aren't small, they just play small. It seems like they have added a lot of smaller players to the system but the big club doesn't actually reflect that. However the relative softness of the team isn't helped when you have only more danglers coming up. We know we are a bit too soft but we have no fix. Its emphasized by the absence of thuggery in todays game where in the past they could just add an Orr or Rosehill or Mayers or two and know they would be okay because other clubs carried the same kinds of guys. Now if your hitter isn't mostly a player you are at a real disadvantage, and those guys are rare.

I think they need to get tougher to play against but their window is now so they probably have to be trading for those guys, they can't wait 4 years. It will cost someone we like to get the guy we need, and it will probably be an overpayment.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes, the quarantine is going to cause the Cap to be impacted because HRR is going to be much lower.

ONLY if it is expected to affect the cap for years to come. The major difference here between previous lockouts is that the owners didn’t pay money. They just didn’t make money. They have already paid the players and staff this time.

The owners and players are in a 50/50 split for the 2019-2020’season. As of april 5 the players will have received a combined 2.5 ish billion in salaries. They got their full share.

the owners have to receive a combined 2.5 billion in HRR. IF the nhl cant complete the season and they don’t get the cap, they take their money out of the escrow fund.

that’s about 350’million. IF the losses are more than 700 million. Then the players owe more out of this years HRR. Not next years.

the NHL can get that back by asking for more this year and the players can pay them back. They can also ask for their money to be paid back over the course of next years to come

If and when the world goes back to normal. If they lower the cap to 75 million. And the owners make more than 50%. Then they just pay the players back anyway.

dropping next years cap to reduce salaries next year and asking owners who are losing 50-100 million to pay more players not to play. And then 250 players don’t have homes.

the teams with cap space are generally small market teams who will not be able to afford to pay big deals. Even if they did. They can only have 22 roster spots. So tons will be out of work or signing. For pennies. There will be 1 year deals.

honestly with Toronto’s resources. They would do better in a collapse like this. They would make more and spend more. More players would come home for a year and wait until the cap jumps up.

I mean we live in a time of hall of fame zamboni drivers and toilet paper wars. Anything. Can happen.

but buyouts just drive up HRR and escrow. They have never come without a salary rollback. Teams that lost millions won’t want to pay players not to play.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
ONLY if it is expected to affect the cap for years to come. The major difference here between previous lockouts is that the owners didn’t pay money. They just didn’t make money. They have already paid the players and staff this time.

The owners and players are in a 50/50 split for the 2019-2020’season. As of april 5 the players will have received a combined 2.5 ish billion in salaries. They got their full share.

the owners have to receive a combined 2.5 billion in HRR. IF the nhl cant complete the season and they don’t get the cap, they take their money out of the escrow fund.

that’s about 350’million. IF the losses are more than 700 million. Then the players owe more out of this years HRR. Not next years.

the NHL can get that back by asking for more this year and the players can pay them back. They can also ask for their money to be paid back over the course of next years to come

If and when the world goes back to normal. If they lower the cap to 75 million. And the owners make more than 50%. Then they just pay the players back anyway.

dropping next years cap to reduce salaries next year and asking owners who are losing 50-100 million to pay more players not to play. And then 250 players don’t have homes.

the teams with cap space are generally small market teams who will not be able to afford to pay big deals. Even if they did. They can only have 22 roster spots. So tons will be out of work or signing. For pennies. There will be 1 year deals.

honestly with Toronto’s resources. They would do better in a collapse like this. They would make more and spend more. More players would come home for a year and wait until the cap jumps up.

I mean we live in a time of hall of fame zamboni drivers and toilet paper wars. Anything. Can happen.

but buyouts just drive up HRR and escrow. They have never come without a salary rollback. Teams that lost millions won’t want to pay players not to play.

Hopefully, a miracle happens in North America and they get back into generating revenue sometime this year.

Reactions: Menzinger

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hopefully, a miracle happens in North America and they get back into generating revenue sometime this year.

I am sure there will. I don’t believe that it’s likely that they will get full arenas in a month or 2. But they will do something. Anything they can.

Like a Canada cup. On TV. Test all players
Quarantine them in whistler like the olympics and have them play 3 on 3 or whatever. For TV revenue.

They will claw back every penny they can.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Sorry, I do get it, and also know how to effectively communicate, that which I think.

If you intend to say something, use words to effectively do so.

If your opinion is the Leafs are too soft, say it directly. They need more grit for sure, but they don't need to get rid of all of the talent to do so... one, maybe two bodies changes everything. That, and the young guys need to mature, and learn the game. We started to see some of that with Matty this year, and Nylander as well.
Yeah.
I'm pretty clear on how I feel about the Dubas build.
They are butter soft.
Having said that.
I respect your opinion and think you made a couple good points here.
I like but I have no like button.
Maturity may be the key.
Super frustrating when we see a guy like Engvall.
Explosive speed.
Big.
Strong.
Yet wouldn't throw a hit if his life depended on it.
That's okay if you're contributing elsewhere.
Being a decent pk guy is fine but it won't keep him in the league very long.
We have too many guys like Engvall.
Just my opinion.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah.
I'm pretty clear on how I feel about the Dubas build.
They are butter soft.
Having said that.
I respect your opinion and think you made a couple good points here.
I like but I have no like button.
Maturity may be the key.
Super frustrating when we see a guy like Engvall.
Explosive speed.
Big.
Strong.
Yet wouldn't throw a hit if his life depended on it.
That's okay if you're contributing elsewhere.
Being a decent pk guy is fine but it won't keep him in the league very long.
We have too many guys like Engvall.
Just my opinion.

This becomes coaching too.... You've got to get these guys to use their bodies.... Even Gauthier uses his body to separate people from the puck more and more... with his size, he could crush people... which is fun to watch, but at least using your body to remove people from the puck is useful. Matty is doing it now too, though he's been a little meaner. Engvall needs to use his body... and I don't need a bunch of Scott Stevens out there, just use it to be effective.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
This becomes coaching too.... You've got to get these guys to use their bodies.... Even Gauthier uses his body to separate people from the puck more and more... with his size, he could crush people... which is fun to watch, but at least using your body to remove people from the puck is useful. Matty is doing it now too, though he's been a little meaner. Engvall needs to use his body... and I don't need a bunch of Scott Stevens out there, just use it to be effective.
Well said.
Fully agree.
You and I might be making progress.
Much better.
Hurray.
Like.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Even if a miracle occurs and we contain this thing in a couple months. Hard to see guys jumping into playoff mode in late May/June. I mean it is just not at all realistic. and if they even did playoff hockey would be a total crap shoot. Our Leafs are a skilled team first and foremost. It takes way longer for skilled guys to get it back. A scrapper team would stand a much better chance. Look at Canes and Blue Jackets Flyers from east. Good news is we got a great chance in a Tampa matchup to get the 1st round victory.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Even if a miracle occurs and we contain this thing in a couple months. Hard to see guys jumping into playoff mode in late May/June. I mean it is just not at all realistic. and if they even did playoff hockey would be a total crap shoot. Our Leafs are a skilled team first and foremost. It takes way longer for skilled guys to get it back. A scrapper team would stand a much better chance. Look at Canes and Blue Jackets Flyers from east. Good news is we got a great chance in a Tampa matchup to get the 1st round victory.

I meant this year ... 2020

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Compliance buyouts aren't going to be how the NHL handles a shrinking cap. It totally breaks the market and doesn't make any sense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Compliance buyouts aren't going to be how the NHL handles a shrinking cap. It totally breaks the market and doesn't make any sense.
When they first introduced the cap, didn't they reduce salaries by a %.
Could be a route they will go.

Reactions: ULF_55

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
When they first introduced the cap, didn't they reduce salaries by a %.
Could be a route they will go.

Yeah it was like 30%, and we'd need something like that here, just not to that degree.

But I'm guessing there's nothing about this is the CBA. Could be messy.

Reactions: ULF_55

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They should just stop the charades and let the powerful and money producing teams donate some money and give them all an extra 1st. round pick.

Honestly, id love for teams to be able to just flat out buy draft picks

Poorer teams could then use the money to spend onroster players, wealthy teams get a reward. Its win win

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Tavares - with regret.

If it is based on HRR buying out a $4mm player isn't going to cut it.

Imagine sending out Matthews - Kerfoot - 50yr old Spezza - Goat as your 4Cs?

Combine that with our horrendous D - that's lottery quality.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

And again. The issue is not that the cap is shrinking per say. The immediate issue is that the NHL has paid for a full year and playoffs and did not get it. The 50/50 split is still in effect.

the players owe the money this year. Not next.

If they agree to a lower cap. Then the players are owed whatever is left from the 50/50 next year.

asking owners who lost millions because they paid players for games they didn’t play... to buyout players and spend more money on players to not play is just insane

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The Leafs don't really have any bad contracts at this point, so a buyout would not help much. Unfortunately this is probably the only situation where their cap structure is actually going to hurt them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad