Speculation: Compliance Buyouts - Who should the Leafs use one on?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
There is not a chance the Leafs buy out JT.
He's PPG, our captain and one of very few veterans on the team.
We really don't have an obvious candidate for a buyout.

I could see a rollback happen much as they did when the cap was instituted.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Burke is like cherry at this point his idea of hockey is 20 years to late.
Burke's idea of hockey won the cup last year .

the guy was a disaster here not because his idea of how to win was bad but because he failed executing it

there's more than one way to build a cup winner and many different styles of teams win so at the end of the day it comes down to successful execution of the philosophy and not the philosophy it self

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Is there enough Cap space in the league for all the players currently under contract?
Good question. I think HRR will go down. It might be a significant enough drop that more than compliance buyouts would be necessary.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

the guy was a disaster here not because his idea of how to win was bad but because he failed executing it

there's more than one way to build a cup winner and many different styles of teams win so at the end of the day it comes down to successful execution of the philosophy and not the philosophy it self

Was Bozak a Burke signing? He played well in the finals and contributed some important points.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Leafs are at 76.9 million right now with 16 players signed.

The projected 84 million was projected based on playing 82 games.

What is the Cap going to be if they end up playing 70 games?
They should look at trading guys and signing cheaper talent before buying guys out. It wouldn't make sense to buy someone like johnsson out when you could likely get something for him in return

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The people who want to buy our JT... omfg. I can only conclude that many of the people on this forum are not Leafs fans.
If you buy out or trade Tavares, you might as well advertise to all UFAs that signing with our Leafs is not desirable!

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020

Building a tough but talented team is easier said than done. It would be easy for him to say the Blues were the style of team he was going for, but the reality is the Leafs team he assembled was nothing like them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good question. I think HRR will go down. It might be a significant enough drop that more than compliance buyouts would be necessary.

How could you lose 12-14 games for every team and the entire playoffs revenue and associated HRR like parking, souvenirs, arena concessions etc and not see HRR drop significantly?

Its inevitably going to make a significant difference in what was projected revenue and what becomes actual HRR as a end result.

This really comes down to what the NHL and NHLPA are willing to agree to do from this point onward to correct the market to the new landscape in the future.

Compliance buyouts without salary cap impunity almost the most logical outcome to expect when hitting an unexpected reset button due to this unexpected world crisis.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How could you lose 12-14 games for every team and the entire playoffs revenue and associated HRR like parking, souvenirs, arena concessions etc and not see HRR drop significantly?

Its inevitably going to make a significant difference in what was projected revenue and what becomes actual HRR as a end result.

This really comes down to what the NHL and NHLPA are willing to agree to do from this point onward to correct the market to the new landscape in the future.

Compliance buyouts without salary cap impunity almost the most logical outcome to expect when hitting an unexpected reset button due to this unexpected world crisis.

How does paying 2/3 of salary for nothing help get money? The last ones had a salary rollback right?

Reactions: freshwind

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yes, we have no idea what the Cap is going to be.

I think people are using the original projected Cap of 84 million.

Very basic but:

$84 / 82 game = 1.024 million per game - Projection

70 games * 1.024 = 72 million

I know extremely simplistic, but the point is we don't know if they're going to play another game this year.

If the League decides to have a one-time carry forward the Cap from the previous year, maybe let them play with last year's numbers, in which case Leafs don't need to buyout.

This makes perfect sense. The cap is supposed to reflect the economic realities of running the league and to support parity. A one off freak season like this one doesn't represent a repeatable situation. It would be like setting the cap based on revenues after a lockout year.

And they should trade for an overpaid player from a low revenue team and buy that guy out. Thats how you flex your financial muscle and a zero revenue club needs that sort of help to give them some options. So many teams can't spend close to the cap and still make a dollar.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
You could say Marner is an overpay. But for a guy that's averaged a 94-95 point pace the last two years at the ages of 21 and 22 it's fine.

Are you telling me that you can't get value for any of Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen/Engvall at their current contracts?

Kapanen: Name another 3rd line winger that's paced over 40 points each of the last two seasons and makes under $3.5M per season. That is a great value deal.

Engvall: Better than Gauthier, at worst you get a 6'5" LW/C that's good for 20-30 points. If he absolutely sucks you can bury him with next to no impact on the cap. He has value at just $1.25M the next two seasons.

Johnsson and Kerfoot have been disappointments this season but both are easily movable at the draft if you want too. For under $4M for both guys at decent term they definitely have value.

I wouldn't call them bad contracts by any means. Johnsson got injured coming off a 40 point season and Kerfoot had a down year coming off back to back 40 point years.
All good points.
I call them bad contracts if it keeps the Leafs from re signing
Clifford/Mik/Spezza.
I would rather move some of the guys I mentioned than lose Clifford etc...
Marner is very good.
No doubt.
He also seems to be the guy who gets us a young stud DMan and a big mean defensive F.
Both of which I think we need.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Hahahahahah

No.
Haha.
We disagree.
Kap 3.5. AHL player.
Johnsson 3.2. AHL player.
Engvall is not an NHL player.
Kerfoot 3.5.
Terrible player. Awful trade.
Marner.
Good player.
Ya gotta give to get.
We badly need a rock on the back end and some stones up front to help Clifford.
Or on the D to help Muzzin.
Just my opinion.
We disagree.
No big deal.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Some teams may not have anyone to buy out possibly, and not all owners would be excited about paying players not to play if they are small market/budget teams. What I was saying that additional measures beyond compliance buyouts might be a possibility.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Every single one of those have positive value... if you can trade them for assets why would you buy them out?
Short answer.
Dubas.
What is he gonna get for any one of those guys ( Marner excepted ).
More 5'2" guys who weigh 120 lbs.
Start sending a message.
You work or you're out.
Some of the pretty boys may even take notice.
I don't trust Dubas at all.
He has sat on a terrible defence for 2 years.
And he thinks Barrie is good defensively.
He made one of the worst trades in Leaf history (Kadri).
Totally botched the backup situation for 18 months.
Matthew's term too short.
Marner too much $$.
Nylander good contract but handled it so badly I believe it weakened his position with 34/16.
Rushed Sandin and Lil.
Man.
I could go on
It's a long list.
He is a horrible gm so I don't trust him to do anything except send a message but he never would for fear that the kids may get mad at him.
Your points are well taken.
And you are correct.
We could get a decent return if we packaged any 2 ( not Marner ) of those guys plus a guy like Dermott.
Never happen.
Maybe when we get a real gm.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Short answer.
Dubas.
More 5'2" guys who weigh 120 lbs.
Start sending a message.
You work or you're out.
He has sat on a terrible defence for 2 years.
And he thinks Barrie is good defensively.
He made one of the worst trades in Leaf history (Kadri).
Totally botched the backup situation for 18 months.
Matthew's term too short.
Marner too much $$.
Nylander good contract but handled it so badly I believe it weakened his position with 34/16.
Rushed Sandin and Lil.
Man.
I could go on
It's a long list.
He is a horrible gm so I don't trust him to do anything except send a message but he never would for fear that the kids may get mad at him.
And you are correct.
We could get a decent return if we packaged any 2 ( not Marner ) of those guys plus a guy like Dermott.
Never happen.
Maybe when we get a real gm.
Our players must work real hard to somehow be 5'2 and 120 lbs and still in the playoff picture. Props to our players!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Short answer.
Dubas.
More 5'2" guys who weigh 120 lbs. WRONG
Start sending a message.
You work or you're out.
He has sat on a terrible defence for 2 years.WRONG
And he thinks Barrie is good defensively. WRONG
He made one of the worst trades in Leaf history (Kadri). WRONG
Totally botched the backup situation for 18 months. WRONG
Matthew's term too short. True
Marner too much $$. True
Nylander good contract but handled it so badly I believe it weakened his position with 34/16. WRONG
Rushed Sandin and Lil. WRONG
Man.
I could go on ... and would still be WRONG
It's a long list. WRONG
He is a horrible gm WRONG so I don't trust him to do anything except send a message but he never would for fear that the kids may get mad at him.
And you are correct.
Never happen.
Maybe when we get a real gm.WRONG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad