OT: Commercials We Hate

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Used to listen to “alternative” back then when they’d be played in between Godsmack’s “Alive” and Limp Bizkit’s “Break Stuff”.
That was such an odd time for music. The last hurrah for grunge bands & the height of kiddie pop.

And I would never admit listening to Limp Bizkit, even if I actually listened to them. Which I didn't.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Also annoying is the Caesar's ad with Vince Vaughn (or the Vince Vaughn lookalike?) asking what "full Caesar" is...and the marketing geniuses decided to voice over the random dude in the background explaining what it is without reshooting the video for the ad.

It's like the commercial version of Ashlee Simpson badly lip-syncing, only it's sports betting to boot.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I generally tune out all commercials during games. TV stoppages are a chance for me to look at what's going on here and laugh, and also continue the ongoing Rangers game banter with childhood friends who live across the country as we basically are Statler and Waldorf from The Muppets to the game, and each other (one friend thinks I'm a dick to Panarin lol).

I hate when watching games people comment on commercials, I prefer not to have conversations on stupidity. That said, let's look at some terrible ones an why.

(A side note, most modern commercials have an agenda and are very sexist especially making men look like buffoons, ageist, or another ist which I won't get into. It has nothing to do with me personally or how I feel, as I mentioned I don't care and tune most of this stuff out, but when you have friends in marketing, and compared with modern movie sensibilities, you notice things).

1. Progressive TV Dad Reginald VelJohnson aka Carl Winslow from Family Matter: It's trying to be cute or funny but the message is an entire generation trusts someone they saw more on tv as an authority figure and has a lack of respect for their own parents. I get many of us grew up in comfortable homes and parents can sometimes be aloof, the issue is that those parents often came from post-WWII (or later homes) with not much money and they busted their ass in a most likely shitty job or not something glamorous for us to laugh at tv stupidity.

2. Cesar with JB Smoove-Just stop, it's not funny. I love him on Curb Your Enthusiasm. This makes me almost not like him anymore, and to group it all together.....

3. The Motley Gambling Crew of Aaron Paul, Jaime Foxx, Wayne Gretzky, Henrik Lundqvist.......love y'all as athletes and actors but just STFU......

4. BK Jingle: "Is this Craig Robinson trying to be funny?"

Now for ones not shown anymore:

4. Draftkings with Jessie Cofield......the series with the blonde woman and especially the fake hockey talk one and the other she did with NFL Placekicker Martin Grammatika. There is noise not words coming out of her mouth. At one point during the pandemic in my room alone I just uttered out loud "WTF is she talking about?"

5. The kids singing "Thank You" to the nurses during the pandemic: It's not so much the commercial or the sentiment, I just associate that as the epitome of the David Quinn Era, which I did not enjoy.

6. Pitbull Bid Light Commercial from 2013: It's Pitbull, do we need to say any more?

7. Someone posted the Citi "Somebody left the door ooooopen" commerical...we actually talked about that on an earlier thread back in the day, I hate it because I really liked this girl who was doing the same thing (traveling the world with her dumb soon to be out the door b/f) at the time so it was kind of a reminder/slap in the face. I never saw her again (she since got married, divorced, and remarried).

As for the Citizens Bank currently on, yeah it's super annoying and there's definitely some blatant agegism going on. The girl also had this shit-eating grin on her face at the end which is 100% intentional. The reason I don't hate it is because I've tuned it out, and she looks like a childhood friend from Honduras.

Reactions: NCRanger and Cmox

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The Montefiore Einstein commercial with the ballerina dancing to some remix of a Lenny Kravitz song that's so loud, you can't hear the guy talking.
I thought it was Carlos Santana.

The dancer had cancer. The same ad is on during Yankees games on YES, and the music is turned down enough to make out what he’s saying

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Easily the dumbass Amazon prime commercial with the girl sporting the stache. I want to puke every time I see it and it is on 100 times a day. In second place is the extremely annoying citizens bank commercial. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Luckily my remote is always handy.

That commercial is the worst for some many reasons. She actually reminds me of someone I dated. Not the stache but the fact that she would dance out of nowhere 🤮 ungrateful piece of crap she was

Occidentalist

Beernerd
Dec 19, 2011
NJ
I'd be dropping flying elbows if that bald jackass came climbing out of my couch.

Mustache chick is annoying. Only good thing is the rare b side Queen tune. But the chick doesn't even have a mustache in real life. And it sends the wrong message. It's one thing to be comfortable with yourself but it's another thing to tell teenage girls it's okay to have a mustache. It's not okay.

Excessive gambling ads are annoying.

Kars 4 Kids is such a scam. It's run out of Lakewood, NJ. Hacidic Jew run business that claims it's mission is "to fund educational, developmental and recreational programs for low-income youth" but fails to mention that 100% of the money goes strictly to Jewish families.

I find the gambling ads less nauseating than Kars4Kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad