Speculation: Combined Contract value of Q. Hughes and E. Pettersson in 2021?

Combined value of these contracts?

• Total voters

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
With the flat cap for at least 3 years, I think there will be a trend and the next wave of contracts signing will be for shorter terms and less money.

Let's say 3-4 years to EP, 8-9 mil.

Same length for QH, 7-8 mil.

Those seem pretty fair for all parties involved. If Van got EP for 4 years @ the lower end near 8, that would be a steal.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
What's a reasonable deal, in your mind, for EP?

He’ll likely sign a comparable deal as Rantanen - $9.25M per @ 6 years.

Hughes would likely demand even more, doubt being better than EP or Makar. I expect his deal would be contentious. They might offer $7M and ask would be $10M.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I think it will actually be a combination...I think Hughes will sign a bridge to wait for the cap to go up...i think Petterson will get a long term....but the combined cap hit will exceed 18M....3* 7M for Hughes and 8*11 for Petterson

Reactions: Merrrlin

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Two bridge deals. The uncertainty of the cap going forward is too unclear for teams to sign these high end RFAs to long term. Plus, the players will hope to cash in on much bigger contracts in 3 years, when the cap will be more clear, and expected to start rising again.
Petey gets 7.5 x 3
Hughes gets 6.5 x 3

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Worst case scenario for Vancouver is if the agents of Makar, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Hughes etc come together and set the market. That could make Hughes quite pricey.

Reactions: Morrison

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If they both go long term it’ll be massive. I think Hughes resets the market for D if he goes term.

But like others have said the uncertainty makes me think they’ll sign short to mid length deals.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Two bridge deals. The uncertainty of the cap going forward is too unclear for teams to sign these high end RFAs to long term. Plus, the players will hope to cash in on much bigger contracts in 3 years, when the cap will be more clear, and expected to start rising again.
Petey gets 7.5 x 3
Hughes gets 6.5 x 3

Assuming both players continue to improve, I don’t know how Vancouver could get them to sign for that low of an AAV.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Assuming both players continue to improve, I don’t know how Vancouver could get them to sign for that low of an AAV.
Canucks are in cap hell. They are very likely to lose Tanev and Toffoli to the UFA market. Imo, the Canucks take a step backwards next season. Petey and Hughes will be effected by this (one year) down turn. Plus, the league will bleed money until fans get back into the arenas. That lost revenue makes the salary cap’s future very uncertain. The factors combined will result in these two great players taking bridge deals. (6.5 and 7.5)

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
8 - 10 on what term?

8 would barely put him above Boeser's bridge, so I imagine if he's getting 8m it's a bridge.
I think the Canucks will use the Sebastian Aho contract as their baseline, so $8.45 seems like it fits for EP.
Hughes, I'm hoping might settle for a 2 year bridge deal in the Brayden Point range (6.75) but that might be wishful thinking.

Reactions: samsagat

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Thanks to Dubas Peterson will get 10 per season easily. Thanks to Wilson no way Hughes walks away with less than 8 per season.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
EP40 = 4-5 years, 9-9.5M.
Q. Hughes = 3-4 years, 8-8.5M.

Even with the flat cap, if the Canucks could get both of these players on 8 year deals with a combined cap hit of 21M, that would be a win.

Last edited:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Can Montreal send them a lowball offer sheets that they lose their minds and sign like Aho?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Petey gets 7.5 x 3
Hughes gets 6.5 x 3

Superstar players, it is very dangerous to sign then to a bridge deal. You're pretty much giving them extra time to put up better seasons and demand better money. You can probably get them both long term 7 to 8 years in the 9 M range. Signing them to bridge deal, so what if Petey puts up a few 100 points season and Hughes has a Norris trophy season. Your 9 million range become 11 now. Both players are capable of putting up those seasons.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Canucks are in cap hell. They are very likely to lose Tanev and Toffoli to the UFA market. Imo, the Canucks take a step backwards next season. Petey and Hughes will be effected by this (one year) down turn. Plus, the league will bleed money until fans get back into the arenas. That lost revenue makes the salary cap’s future very uncertain. The factors combined will result in these two great players taking bridge deals. (6.5 and 7.5)

I don't see them accepting a 3 year deal at those hits. However, the salary cap isn't that uncertain:

The cap will remain at $81.5 million until hockey-related revenue surpasses $3.3 billion for the previous season. The salary cap won't rise more than $1 million until HRR reaches $4.8 billion unless the NHL and NHLPA mutually agree to inflate it in excess of $1 million.

Once HRR reaches $4.8 billion, the cap could increase by $2 million per season and transition to a formula-based calculation for establishing the cap for the 2023-24 season and beyond. As an example, the 2023-24 salary cap would be calculated using HRR results from 2021-22 and 2022-23.

The NHLPA ability to artificially inflate the salary cap as high as five percent is eliminated.

"We've agreed on how the cap will be set for all six years of the collective agreement," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Saturday, "and the inflator that had previously existed in the Collective Bargaining Agreement will not apply subject to the other inflators that we've agreed to as part of our new agreement."

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
They are massively overrated, and thus will be massively overpaid. There were Canucks fans on here calling Petterson a top 10 player, lol. I bet they pay him like one. Realistically, he should be signing a max term contract at no more than 7 per.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
1 millionnn dollars :sarcasm:

QA4J.gif

Reactions: Donuts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad