Speculation: Combined Contract value of Q. Hughes and E. Pettersson in 2021?

Combined value of these contracts?

• Total voters

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
EP is more likely to sign a reasonable deal, QHughes will be more difficult and expect a huge ask.

Reactions: Morrison

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
8 - 10 on what term?

8 would barely put him above Boeser's bridge, so I imagine if he's getting 8m it's a bridge.
9-10 m x 8 years
Hughes is a wild card. think it will depend on what Makar heiskanen dahlin get to set the market. or maybe he sets the market who know i'll guess 7.5m x 6

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
9-10 m x 8 years
Hughes is a wild card. think it will depend on what Makar heiskanen dahlin get to set the market. or maybe he sets the market who know i'll guess 7.5m x 6

I don't think he takes 10x8, but who am I to guess? If he does, that's an incredible deal in the current RFA empowerment climate.

I could see 12x8, or 10.5x6 though.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't think he takes 10x8, but who am I to guess? If he does, that's an incredible deal in the current RFA empowerment climate.

I could see 12x8, or 10.5x6 though.

The climate now is certainty about a flat cap for the next few seasons. Far different environment than an expectation of cap increases.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The climate now is certainty about a flat cap for the next few seasons. Far different environment than an expectation of cap increases.

I guess I am taking into account that by the time they sign (2 offseasons down the road), we will be back on track and the cap will be recovering. Obviously it's a much different and much more dire situation if that doesn't happen.

EP should be getting like 10 imo. If Marner can get it he can too

If he gets less than 10 on a longer deal, he should fire his agent. If he gets 10 but Benning only locks him up for a few years, Benning should be fired.

Just sign him and be done with the 1C position for an entire era of Canucks hockey.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Kinda scary seeing such big numbers up close. The other Canucks kids have all signed bridge deals, Boeser and Horvat both signed $6m bridge deals, wonder if EP and QuHu will do the same to get the same kind of winning team that their previous rookie brothers did.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't see Pettersson taking less than Rantanen's deal. I'd assume closer to 10.5 per over 8 years unless he has a really rough season in 2020-21.

Hughes is a bit tougher to predict. If he replicates the results of his rookie season I'd guess somewhere around 8 per.

Reactions: Morrison

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Don't see Pettersson taking less than Rantanen's deal. I'd assume closer to 10.5 per over 8 years unless he has a really rough season in 2020-21.

Hughes is a bit tougher to predict. If he replicates the results of his rookie season I'd guess somewhere around 8 per.

Those would be bargain deals unless COVID crushes another season's revenues.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
EP - $8.5 to 9.5 mil x 6-7 years
QH - $8.5 to 9.5 mil x 6-7 years

Takes them both to 27-28 years old no?
Doubt they take 8 years, more and more players/agents seem to want deals that get them to free agency under 30 to max on out on another 7-8 year deal after that.
Assuming they both have similar or better years next season.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Paying a center coming off their ELC eight figures is not a bargain deal.

Unlikely 2021-22 sees a drastic rise in the cap. Probably a modest 3 or 4 million.

It's a bargain if he's worth more than that. I could see 10 if it's 6 years.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Paying a center coming off their ELC eight figures is not a bargain deal.

Unlikely 2021-22 sees a drastic rise in the cap. Probably a modest 3 or 4 million.

Guaranteed it sees no rise in the cap. The cap is frozen at its current level for 3 seasons. (I assume this was done partially as a favor to the players--because 'rona HRR isn't supporting the current cap level--and partially to save everyone else the headache of figuring out how to allow teams to become cap compliant with a reduced salary cap.)

Reactions: Meeqs

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They will wait to sign them to see what happens with Covid and revenue. They could do bridges thrn long ones.

If both are signing 7+ yrs look st $17M.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's a bargain if he's worth more than that. I could see 10 if it's 6 years.

So the only way it could be a bargain is if he's better than McDavid? Are there any players with a 8 figure cap hit that you could realistically view as a bargain?

Guaranteed it sees no rise in the cap. The cap is frozen at its current level for 3 seasons. (I assume this was done partially as a favor to the players--because 'rona HRR isn't supporting the current cap level--and partially to save everyone else the headache of figuring out how to allow teams to become cap compliant with a reduced salary cap.)

I hadn't realized they've frozen it for three years, I thought it was just next season. Really makes any 7-8 year deals seem unlikely.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Hughes you would expect between 6.75-8.5 AAV on a long term deal given the precedents and how much he is able to reset the market.

If Van is able to get EP for under 10 AAV they should take it and run as I feel that will be unlikely, long term as well.

They could be looking at lower ends should the deal carry less term and thus less UFA years but Van would be unwise to do so

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Do we know if it is actually 3 seasons or just until "HRR returns to X levels" and 3 years was the estimate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad