Post-Game Talk: Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
No team can go 82-0, but I still think the Rangers are an extremely well built team and a contender

Fox, Shesty and Kreider will be better as season progresses and so will the overall Rangers performance
No team can go 82-0, but they've played like a team looking to be 0-82 since you posted that thread.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Their finishing has been bad.

We get looks but we need to start hitting some shots. Trocheck with posts. Players having open net to shoot at and hit the goalie instead.... and the dreaded overpassing.

They spend a lot of time in the opponents zone which is good, but feels a lot of these shifts should have results on the scoresheet. I think luck plays a factor, but also the quality of the scoring chances. Kakko whiffing on a grade A chance doesn't help these situations.

They have the skill and talent and when it clicks they are very hard to beat but need to be more consistent at it. So I'm a little concerned but not too worried. It's still early the season.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If Gallant starts Halak against the Islanders and we lose and I have to moderate that, Imma be under his bed.

The problem is that if he started him against the Islanders most people would understand because it would be a back to back and 3 in 4. But now that he inexplicably started Halak against the Jackets he better start Shesty both nights or else he's just throwing games away.

Reactions: duhmetreE

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
The problem is that if he started him against the Islanders most people would understand because it would be a back to back and 3 in 4. But now that he inexplicably started Halak against the Jackets he better start Shesty both nights or else he's just throwing games away.
In my mind, Gallant gave Halak last night because it was supposedly the easiest game of the stretch.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'll tell you 55 and the 2LD worry me. I think the move to upgrade is there. If 55 stays healthy(he crouched over again last night) we slot him as 3LD and use the tradedeadline as 2LD...We hope Jones can stick to 3LD but if 55 gets hurt ..............2LD leaves us very vunerable
Chychrun. Yandle 2.0.

Robertson, Kravtsov, 2023 NYR 1st, conditional 2024 2nd that turns into a 1st if the Rangers win the Cup in either 2023 OR 2024 for Chychrun at 50%. Gives the Rangers Chychrun at a sub 3 million cap hit for two runs this year and next.

Deal Lindgren in the summer to get some of those picks back.

This is the move. Not Kane.

Reactions: cheech70

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's obviously starting Igor against the Islanders. He wouldn't play Halak 2 out of 3 for no reason. Not even NHL coaches are that dumb.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
6 games into a season, some are calling for a rebuild.

I didn't call for a rebuild.

I said Laf and Kakko have to start producing OR we might as well rebuild.

Which is true.

My friends, we don't fail to score at even strength because we have too much talent.

It's very much in the other direction.

We have high end talent that we can crystalize on the powerplay. Other than the guys who play on the powerplay, Kaapo Kakko (2 points in 6 games) is our best forward with a bullet.

I'm not saying this to be grumpy, it's just a perspective on our team building going forward, but this forward corps is completely f***ing pedestrian.

We cut off the rebuild too early. Should have traded Kreider, should have kept drafting high, etc, etc, etc.

What was the rush? Kreider's age? Shesterkin's unaffordable extension 3 years from now? We need like 2-3 more talented forwards.

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Chychrun. Yandle 2.0.

Robertson, Kravtsov, 2023 NYR 1st, conditional 2024 2nd that turns into a 1st if the Rangers win the Cup in either 2023 OR 2024 for Chychrun at 50%. Gives the Rangers Chychrun at a sub 3 million cap hit for two runs this year and next.

Deal Lindgren in the summer to get some of those picks back.

This is the move. Not Kane.
I'd take Chychrun @ 50% in a heart beat.

People insist LD is not a problem but we're obviously struggling getting out of our zone.

KAM Fox
Chychrun Trouba

is a cup winning top4 IMO

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'd take Chychrun @ 50% in a heart beat.

People insist LD is not a problem but we're obviously struggling getting out of our zone.

It's a little bit of a problem but we have so much cheap talent on the way it doesn't make any sense to ovepay from prospects and assets when patience is a solution on its own.

Forward is where we are short both now and in the future.

Chychrun would be nice but we can't afford him this year and I'm not paying multiple high end assets to get him when I probably have players who can put up similar GSVAs in like 2 seasons.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We cut off the rebuild too early. Should have traded Kreider, should have kept drafting high, etc, etc, etc.

What was the rush? Kreider's age? Shesterkin's unaffordable extension 3 years from now? We need like 2-3 more talented forwards.
I don't know if this team is more high picks away from where they need to be in a timeline that makes sense. What are they gonna get, another Kravtsov? He's not helping now.

This team needs get more out of their young forwards. There's too many of them for ALL of them to not have what it takes. Something is off with development.

I know the argument is that the kids would get more time if we kept rebuilding. They're getting the time now and the points still aren't there even though I think Kakko has been excellent overall.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Calling Laffy lazy is one of the worst takes I've ever read here.

Really that's the worst take? That he looks lazy? You really are something man, haha

Nope- Mica’s played great, Breadman leads the league is scoring— the only vet whose off to a slow start is Mr. 50 goal scorer who we all knew was a fluke season.

But yes the rest of your post is fine.

Yeah, i'n my head I wasn't including Bread but I could of elaborated. Mika has been pretty meh since game 2 imo.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's a little bit of a problem but we have so much cheap talent on the way it doesn't make any sense to ovepay from prospects and assets when patience is a solution on its own.

Forward is where we are short both now and in the future.

IMO it's a lot harder to win with young defenseman than forwards. We have Othmann, Cuylle and possibly Berard next season... maybe even Sykora... There's literally no spots available in the top9.

We've struggled to get the puck up ice for quite some time. Chychrun is big, mobile, a really strong skater and talented. If we can get him for $2.3M, it's well worth it.

Kravtsov, Jones and one of our 1sts.

Chychrun Fox
KAM Trouba
Lindgren Schneids

that's deep. Issue is our RW depth sucks.... but I don't think Kravtsov will be a difference maker for the next few seasons

Reactions: DuneGoon84

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You guys complaining about halak playing last night are lost. You need a backup to play games. Columbus isnt a top team, a coach should be able to expect his team to bounce back from the shark's embarrassment and bring a legit effort to the ice yesterday. Even with a couple bad goals the rangers as a team should be able to beat columbus. The only goal nyr scores was on a gift from the jackets. Nyr was awful (so was halak) but putting that on halak alone is stupid. He was signed bc they think he can do a good job as the backup here. He has to play games. Columbus isnt a team you should have to shield from. The rangers should be better than this.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
IMO it's a lot harder to win with young defenseman than forwards. We have Othmann, Cuylle and possibly Berard next season... maybe even Sykora... There's literally no spots available in the top9.

We've struggled to get the puck up ice for quite some time. Chychrun is big, mobile, a really strong skater and talented. If we can get him for $2.3M, it's well worth it.

Chychrun Fox
KAM Trouba
Lindgren Schneids

that's deep. Issue is our RW depth sucks.... but I don't think Kravtsov will be a difference maker for the next few seasons
We definitely need a trade like this to happen. Very poor performances past 2 games.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You guys complaining about halak playing last night are lost. You need a backup to play games. Columbus isnt a top team, a coach should be able to expect his team to bounce back from the shark's embarrassment and bring a legit effort to the ice yesterday. Even with a couple bad goals the rangers as a team should be able to beat columbus. The only goal nyr scores was on a gift from the jackets. Nyr was awful (so was halak) but putting that on halak alone is stupid. He was signed bc they think he can do a good job as the backup here. He has to play games. Columbus isnt a team you should have to shield from. The rangers should be better than this.
Either Shesty is getting the b2b, which I'd laugh if it does happen and he gets hurt....
-or
Halak plays 2 out of 3.... in this case, why?

we have another b2b right after this one... so he was getting in games regardless.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I don't know if this team is more high picks away from where they need to be in a timeline that makes sense. What are they gonna get, another Kravtsov? He's not helping now.

This team needs get more out of their young forwards. There's too many of them for ALL of them to not have what it takes. Something is off with development.

I know the argument is that the kids would get more time if we kept rebuilding. They're getting the time now and the points still aren't there even though I think Kakko has been excellent overall.

Well, I definitely agree something is off with development. But the lack of development is why "another Kravtsov" is unappealing. As you said yourself our forward depth is kinda lousy. We need to be selecting a couple more guys who can play high in the draft and then developing them properly.

You can point to a lot of picks somewhere in the 10-20 range that would be endlessly valuable for this team, guys that could be quality third liners relatively quickly and push Goodrow and Blais down to where they belong on the fourth line. Guys like Othmann, guys like Lundell, etc. We don't necessarily need another Lafreniere but two more guys of the caliber of Martin Necas (12th, 2017), Nick Suzuki (13th, 2017), Robert Thomas (20th, 2017), Alex Newhook (16th, 2019), Peyton Krebs (17th, 2019), Anton Lundell (12th, 2020), Seth Jarvis (13th, 2020), Cole Sillinger (12th, 2021), or Wyatt Johnston (23rd, 2021).

We have two picks in the coming draft and if we play our cards right we could have a Dallas pick in the teens and then find a way to trade up with our own. Landing two guys like these names above, with two picks in the teens, would be excellent. Many of them are third line capable within a season or two. That would be in a timeline that makes sense for us. This season is not "win or else."

Yeah, guys like Lundell and Jarvis have just two points right now, they aren't exactly lighting the world on fire any more than Kakko and Lafreniere are, but the two points from either of those players is still more than the 1 combined point that we've gotten from Blais, Carpenter, Vesey and Reaves.

But if we had gotten a couple more young forwards in the last two drafts, they'd be that much closer to being ready to join the team now. Hence, we stopped too early.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

I cannot follow how you are pencilling in Cuylle, Berard and Sykora but not Robertson or even Hunter Skinner.

Robertson has the best chance of any of those five names to be an eventual quality player in this league.

If we could get him for a price that didn't clean us out, sure, but the problem is, we can't.

I don't disagree that Chychrun would immediately be our second best (behind Fox) or third best (behind Fox and Miller) defenseman.

Chychrun Fox
KAM Trouba
Lindgren Schneids

That price is far too steep. Keep in mind the 50% discount you have for Chychrun now is unaffordable when his contract is up in 2 more seasons.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, I definitely agree something is off with development. But the lack of development is why "another Kravtsov" is unappealing. As you said yourself our forward depth is kinda lousy. We need to be selecting a couple more guys who can play high in the draft and then developing them properly.

You can point to a lot of picks somewhere in the 10-20 range that would be endlessly valuable for this team, guys that could be quality third liners relatively quickly and push Goodrow and Blais down to where they belong on the fourth line. Guys like Othmann, guys like Lundell, etc. We don't necessarily need another Lafreniere but two more guys of the caliber of Martin Necas (12th, 2017), Nick Suzuki (13th, 2017), Robert Thomas (20th, 2017), Alex Newhook (16th, 2019), Peyton Krebs (17th, 2019), Anton Lundell (12th, 2020), Seth Jarvis (13th, 2020), Cole Sillinger (12th, 2021), or Wyatt Johnston (23rd, 2021).

We have two picks in the coming draft and if we play our cards right we could have a Dallas pick in the teens and then find a way to trade up with our own. Landing two guys like these names above, with two picks in the teens, would be excellent. Many of them are third line capable within a season or two. That would be in a timeline that makes sense for us. This season is not "win or else."

Yeah, guys like Lundell and Jarvis have just two points right now, they aren't exactly lighting the world on fire any more than Kakko and Lafreniere are, but the two points from either of those players is still more than the 1 combined point that we've gotten from Blais, Carpenter, Vesey and Reaves.
There's no reason two of Othmann, Cuylle, Berard, or Sykora can't fill out the rest of the lineup if our development is halfway decent.

I just don't agree that the timeline is the issue. Rebuilds that last longer then three years last 15 years.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Reading this thread is hilarious. I have so much respect for coaches. It takes a different breed to survive in this arena. I miss it every day.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
There's no reason two of Othmann, Cuylle, Berard, or Sykora can't fill out the rest of the lineup if our development is halfway decent.

I just don't agree that the timeline is the issue. Rebuilds that last longer then three years last 15 years.
Is that a championship lineup, though, swapping out the Carpenters and Reaves for Cuylle and Berard?

I am not so sure.

Othmann is a nice piece. The rest I lack confidence till I see that they are more that what I'd normally expect players selected in their spots to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad