Post-Game Talk: Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The issue with this team goes back to last season, they are inconsistent with scoring at ES. Heck the shitty Ducks outscored them 5 on 5, that's not supposed to happen with this elite group.

It's still early, and they have to figure some things out, so they don't go into a slide.
I don't like the lines. The Rangers have an issue creating balanced lines. The kid line is their best ES line, but they can't play together because holes elsewhere. Then the stars don't fit together; Panarin has his ES style, Zib has his. Kakko doesn't really fit with Zib and Kreider, nevermind all the "1st line" talk. Kreider kinda just floats about nowadays. Laffy playing with Panarin has a tendency to try to play like a mini-Panarin. Trochek is still finding his way with his new team.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
This is not predictive though IMO.. It's essentially telling you, to win a cup, you need good players and for those players to produce... Mind blowing criteria, I know.... It's not some secret sauce. You need a top6 that is producing. You need a strong top4D.

It's not forward looking as in, if I told you Kadri was a 2C on a winning team a few years ago, you would have laughed. If I told you Nichuskin was a top winger a few years ago, you would have laughed. If I told you Toews was a top pairing defenseman, on a cup team.... you would have laughed.

I think it's more important finding a 'winning formula' and execution. Players will find success as a symptom. We have a PP. Our 'formula' is the issue right now IMO

Well, it's not exactly predictive and the article says as much, but it can be used to determine if you are anywhere close.

I think we are a bit short still, at least until Kakko and Laf become stars.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
You bet! Section 117, Row P. My grandson and I will be by the Rangers bench during the warmups. I be wearing Fox White, He is wearing Kreider Blue.
Nice I’m in Section 105 I’ll be in the wheelchair section, one of my friends is in a wheelchair and we were lucky to get tickets for us all.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Well, it's not exactly predictive and the article says as much, but it can be used to determine if you are anywhere close.

I think we are a bit short still, at least until Kakko and Laf become stars.
It's an 'after the fact' metric though.

If you win the cup. You will have a strong top6 and strong top4. That's all that the chart shows. Like I've said, you would be 'poopoo'n' Kadri and Nichuskin 2 years ago. Circumstances change.

A top4 defenseman on a top team, puts up good metrics.
That same top4 defenseman on a bad team, does not come close to them.
The individual player doesn't make the difference. The team environment does

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. The teams with the best top 6 and top4, go the furthest and typically win.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Gallant at least diagnosed the obvious problem, the team played slow af and forechecked like p***yes. Whether he can get them to play properly or not is another thing.
This is what happens when there's less structure or system to adhere to imo.

We need a complete overhaul of our system. It's obviously not happening this season or for as long as Gallant is here.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
This is what happens when there's less structure or system to adhere to imo.

We need a complete overhaul of our system. It's obviously not happening this season or for as long as Gallant is here.
Gallant runs a resort. There's no accountability for any of the vets or his guys. Only if you are on your ELC is there accountability.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox, Shesterkin

Miller, Kreider, Trocheck, Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Lindgren

4 players who could be very good, 7 others who have the talent to be good, is still only 11 players.

Trouba who fits in the middle depending on game.

Goodrow, Reaves, Carpenter, Vesey, Kravtsov, Blias, (basically six 4th liners)

Jones, Schneider, Hajek, (three iffy NHL defenders)

Halak (meh)

I mean there is hope that some of the younger guys can elevate, yet right now that is sort of where they are in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanielBrassard

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It's an 'after the fact' metric though.

If you win the cup. You will have a strong top6 and strong top4. That's all that the chart shows. Like I've said, you would be 'poopoo'n' Kadri and Nichuskin 2 years ago. Circumstances change.

A top4 defenseman on a top team, puts up good metrics.
That same top4 defenseman on a bad team, does not come close to them.
The individual player doesn't make the difference. The team environment does

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. The teams with the best top 6 and top4, go the furthest and typically win.

I think he kinda implies in the article that some of those grades are not players you would necessarily expect to be career-level at those numbers but they just played that way during a specific season or a specific playoff run. At the same time that is just SOME of the players.

Assuredly the GSVA scores are predictive to a large degree. Like, Libor Hajek isn’t going to become a 3.0+ GSVA defensemen and lead us to a Cup, I’m calling it now. But Fox, who has already rang up a season in excess of 3.0 GSVA, might.

Just because a player like Nischuskin came out of the woodwork doesn’t mean the chart is worthless. I’m still pretty sure you need to have pre identified most of those components. I wouldn’t say it’s not predictive, I think it’s mostly predictive, just not entirely.

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think he kinda implies in the article that some of those grades are not players you would necessarily expect to be career-level at those numbers but they just played that way during a specific season or a specific playoff run. At the same time that is just SOME of the players.

Assuredly the GSVA scores are predictive to a large degree. Like, Libor Hajek isn’t going to become a 3.0+ GSVA defensemen and lead us to a Cup, I’m calling it now. But Fox, who has already rang up a season in excess of 3.0 GSVA, might.

Just because a player like Nischuskin came out of the woodwork doesn’t mean the chart is worthless. I’m still pretty sure you need to have pre identified most of those components. I wouldn’t say it’s not predictive, I think it’s mostly predictive, just not entirely.
It’s not worthless, it’s just stating the obvious.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
wat?

Playing Halak 2 out of 3 and 3 out of 5 is not the answer.
Read the last post again.

Plain as day, if you need your vezina winner to beat Columbus you have bigger issues with your team.

I think it's more that the team seems to take Halak as a sign to not go 100%. They don't dare to slack in front of Igor.
That ass backwards. Igor was standing on his head last year and stopping all kinds of breakdowns and plays. They were more confident offensively w Igor in net to back them up but they were horrific defensively.

They have played a soft schedule so far and have been bad really outside of the Tampa game, and that includes when Igor has been in net.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Read the last post again.

Plain as day, if you need your vezina winner to beat Columbus you have bigger issues with your team.
yeah, you're spinning it just to argue.

Playing your backup 2 out of 3, and 3 out of 5, aint it. The fact that you are arguing that, is mind blowing. I dont care about your hypotheticals. We had a lot of time off and a couple back2backs coming up.

We should beat Columbus but that's besides the point. You do not play your backup that much over your elite netminder and you should not play your goalie b2b unless it's absolutely season ending.... it's not. So, whichever way you cut it, it's wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The play there was (and I am no Kravtsov defender lol) to give the pass right back tic tac toe style and Kravtsov would've ripped it.

I honestly think that was his thought process...

Carpenter froze like a deer
Agreed. Unfortunately Carpenter is a slug and really only knows the one basic play on a 2-1, the cross crease pass through a defender for an easy tap in.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Do you have examples of interviews where he said such things after bad games ? I feel there’s too much unwarranted hate towards him…
He would mostly focus on the team play in general. Hank would often to that as well.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Do you have examples of interviews where he said such things after bad games ? I feel there’s too much unwarranted hate towards him…
Many. I even remember an interview when we were on like a 6 game win streak and they asked him how things were going and what the mood in the room was like and he said “things aren’t going well right now, I’m not playing enough” 😂 worst Ranger of all time AINEC

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad