GDT: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | 9/15 6PM EDT | Preseason Game 1

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
That's so funny, people were honestly saying RJ's pass was terrible and Murray did all the work (basically). That was a great job by RJ to get to open space to free up Murray and a nice simple pass for Murray to catch and shoot.

Nothing to see here.

bizzz*

Usually I post stupid things when I'm drunk. Reading the boards today I've got a feeling that a lot of people started to drink on Sunday and continued yesterday. Some posters need a reason to complain permanently and when they don't have one they make it up.

Ryan Murray made a bad turnover to start his pro career. According to the old Russian tradition that's a good sign: in order for pancakes to be good you have to screw up the first one to begin cooking. IIRC Bob also gave up a goal on the very first shot he faced as a Jacket, then his career went up north. I hope that tradition works out well for Murray as well.

Didn't see any deficiencies in that regard, but the stream I was watching was such that I was occasionally having trouble telling blueliners apart, so the PP was where I saw the most of Savard and was sure it was him. (For example, there was that one time when I thought it was Melart opposite Wiz on the PP... :laugh: Teams shouldn't be allowed to add two guys playing the same position with similar-ish looking names and similar numbers simultaneously! :D )
I thought that's impossible to mix up those two. Melart is left handed and Svard is RH.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I thought that's impossible to mix up those two. Melart is left handed and Svard is RH.

I thought this guy was left-handed, too, so...

th

thebus2288*

This is the NHL. Guys SHOULD be able to make that play 99 times out of 100 chances. What I'm saying is that pass was nowhere near as nice as you guys are making it seem. It was not a saucer pass. It was a slow, floppy, end over end puck that Murray had to wait for to cradle. Umberger did not help the chances of that puck going in at all, it was all on Murray's shot. If anything it hurt the chances by how slow and on end the puck was. Only thing I can say that's in favor of Umberger on that play is that the Dman maybe got his stick on RJ's just as he's passing which threw it of a bit. But guess who's fault that is?

He does look faster. I guess he wasn't in charge of conditioning at Ohio State.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is the NHL. Guys SHOULD be able to make that play 99 times out of 100 chances. What I'm saying is that pass was nowhere near as nice as you guys are making it seem. It was not a saucer pass. It was a slow, floppy, end over end puck that Murray had to wait for to cradle. Umberger did not help the chances of that puck going in at all, it was all on Murray's shot. If anything it hurt the chances by how slow and on end the puck was. Only thing I can say that's in favor of Umberger on that play is that the Dman maybe got his stick on RJ's just as he's passing which threw it of a bit. But guess who's fault that is?

1) You realize the issue at hand was that a poster suggested the puck had been a fanned shot and rebound or poke check. And that the fact it was a pass was being clarified. You do realize that, right?

2) The question was not the quality of the play, but the reality. Yes, it was suggested along the way that it was a nice pass into space for a trailer, but that crux of the issue was what actually happened.

3) Your criticism of the pass is pathetic. None of what you describe is what actually happened. No, it was not a special pass or a highly skilled pass. But it was a clean, soft pass into space where the trailer could make a play with it.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
That's pretty optimistic on two counts. Umbie making that play 100 times ain't gonna happen and I don't see the Jackets going 16-2 in the Cup-unless you are counting the remaining x games then 16-8 doesn't seem unreasonable. :)

Hey, if you're gonna dream, DREAM BIG!:laugh:

thebus2288*

I was the 1 who originally made a comment about how the pass was not good. You do realize that, right? The fact that someone wasn't sure that it was a simple clean pass helps my argument. And what I described is exactly what happened. You don't want a slow pass there with the goalie going side to side. You definitely don't want it flopping around the way it did. That puck could have easily deflected into the corner after an average shot by Murray, and none of this would be brought up. A few people would say he should start in SPR and that would've been the end of it. This happened a TON last year with RJ and his below average passes and decisions WHEN to pass. Instead, Murray scored on a hell of a shot in close after receiving a POOR pass and people act like Umberger was responsible for it all. A 3 on 2, in the NHL, with 2 gassed opposing players trailing the play SHOULD be converted. I just don't want people to start giving him a pass on things after making plays that should be expected. He got the puck there and it was good enough to be put in, but it was a lot closer to not happening than you think.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I was the 1 who originally made a comment about how the pass was not good. You do realize that, right? The fact that someone wasn't sure that it was a simple clean pass helps my argument. And what I described is exactly what happened. You don't want a slow pass there with the goalie going side to side. You definitely don't want it flopping around the way it did. That puck could have easily deflected into the corner after an average shot by Murray, and none of this would be brought up. A few people would say he should start in SPR and that would've been the end of it. This happened a TON last year with RJ and his below average passes and decisions WHEN to pass. Instead, Murray scored on a hell of a shot in close after receiving a POOR pass and people act like Umberger was responsible for it all. A 3 on 2, in the NHL, with 2 gassed opposing players trailing the play SHOULD be converted. I just don't want people to start giving him a pass on things after making plays that should be expected. He got the puck there and it was good enough to be put in, but it was a lot closer to not happening than you think.

Lots of things could've happened. Crosby could've flown down from the rafters and bodyslammed Umby thus negating the pass. But that didn't happen. None of what you posited happened. RJ made the pass. He passed it to Murray. Given he was looking in the direction of Murray prior to the pass he planned it. And it hit Murray's tape. And Murray took the pass and got the goal. This is almost as stupid an argument as the one going on in the Boll thread. And yes a play like this ought to be converted but a lot of times it isn't and the fact that people can't give credit where credit is due is downright insert word of your choice.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

This stupid discussion began like two pages back, a good page before you weighed in.

Your description of the pass is wrong.

Your contention that the play should be made is right.

The length to which you are going to make this some sort of example of how bad Umberger is is weak.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Actually I think Bus is right. You can't see it in all the replays, but the puck was still flopping over when it got to Murray, that is not a saucer pass. A saucer doesn't roll over, it cleanly arcs. Luckily it settled in Murray's stick in time for him to shoot.

Umby still played a good game, and I think he framed that play well even if the quality of pass wasn't perfect.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Are we really to the point where we're going to complain about the puck flipping a little on it's way to the stick of the shooter of a GWG?

really?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
talking hockey..

GWG.. enough already, but at least the focus isn't on which song they played in the pre-game skate.

I have a good feeling about RJ this year, I think he steps into that void left by VP.

Cause we're moving on up!!!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Wait, are you serious? :laugh: This is a joke right?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I was the 1 who originally made a comment about how the pass was not good. You do realize that, right? The fact that someone wasn't sure that it was a simple clean pass helps my argument.

Watched it again last night. Twice. On the big screen at NWA. Looked like the right play, he put it where he wanted to, at the right speed so the pass could be easily handled. Looked like he lifted the puck on purpose. I don't see an issue, at all.

I'm pretty sure if this was just about anyone else outside of RJ, it wouldn't be a discussion.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
Watched it again last night. Twice. On the big screen at NWA. Looked like the right play, he put it where he wanted to, at the right speed so the pass could be easily handled. Looked like he lifted the puck on purpose. I don't see an issue, at all.

I'm pretty sure if this was just about anyone else outside of RJ, it wouldn't be a discussion.

This. Not really sure why this is being over analyzed. It was a hockey play that resulted in a goal. Go team.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
GWG.. enough already, but at least the focus isn't on which song they played in the pre-game skate.

I have a good feeling about RJ this year, I think he steps into that void left by VP.

Cause we're moving on up!!!

Well if we're talking music I think they should skate out to Muse's Butterflies and Hurricanes. (I'm going through a bit of a Muse kick right now lol). They can work around the few slower parts.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I was just messing around, it was a good pass all the way. Actually I thought Umberger looked pretty good in the game, he was skating faster than I think I have ever seen him skate before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad