GDT: Columbus @ Montreal | 7 PM EST

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
How many times in league history have teams played better after a pull? It's not really remarkable by itself. I didn't mean to imply that the players played poorly because of Elvis, I don't think that's the case.
I didn't think you were. your thoughts seemed pretty objective but I think there are some people who instantly blame the goalie on every goal scored so its hard to read if he literally played like sh*t or if it was the team in front of him that did since I didn't see it.

I do think there are people here who think that however because they base their decisions on the past.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
LOL I believe Hedger as much as I believed Doug MacLean. Portzline, for everything we've ever said about him over the years, is 10x the beat writer as Hedger.
as far as local beat guys go, portzline is one of the better ones in the sport. he's also one of the best writers of all those guys. he's not above criticism, and he'd probably tell you that himself since he is an actual professional.

my only real complaints about him are:
  1. he occasionally editorializes in pieces where he shouldn't
  2. he tweets goals ahead of the actual TV feed, because he wants to be 'first' for some reason, and somehow still does not know how to thread tweets
but as far as editorializing + twitter etiquette go, hedger is a far worse offender on both counts, for completely different reasons, while having significantly less output and not measuring up as a reporter/writer on top of that.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
  1. he tweets goals ahead of the actual TV feed, because he wants to be 'first' for some reason, and somehow still does not know how to thread tweets
In all fairness, time delay lag on internet streaming is wildly different and the team themselves have been guilty of this in the past.

I've even texted back and forth with a friend watching Bengals games where I have Directv Stream and I think he has Youtube TV and our streams differ by 30 seconds or more at times.

Reactions: squashmaple

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
as far as local beat guys go, portzline is one of the better ones in the sport. he's also one of the best writers of all those guys. he's not above criticism, and he'd probably tell you that himself since he is an actual professional.

my only real complaints about him are:
  1. he occasionally editorializes in pieces where he shouldn't
  2. he tweets goals ahead of the actual TV feed, because he wants to be 'first' for some reason, and somehow still does not know how to thread tweets
but as far as editorializing + twitter etiquette go, hedger is a far worse offender on both counts, for completely different reasons, while having significantly less output and not measuring up as a reporter/writer on top of that.

Porty probably has no idea about the time delay on the broadcast. He's not tech savvy, obviously.

Hell of a chronicler though. I can't think of a beat writer who can write long form as well as him. It's a lost art.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad