Seravalli: Columbus engaged in trade talks to move defenseman

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Boqvist AND Werenski can't seem to string a full season together, so idk if they see a rush?
Werenski before last season has been pretty injury free. He has played 78,77,82,63,35, 68 and 13 games season by season in his career. Columbus has several NHL ready defensemen - Blankeberg and Jiricek in Cleveland plus possibly Berni if he doesn't return to Europe.
I really don't think they are concerned about depth.

Reactions: Curufinwe and Peen
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
To Toronto-
Andrew Peeke

To Columbus-
Calle Jarnkrok
Nick Robertson
Picks or prospects.

I don't think Columbus would have an interest in depth forwards, especially wings. Once again if salary is an issue, perhaps the Leafs could pay extra and get some salary retained or a third team could get involved.

What channel
In Boston? Buy ESPN+

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Werenski before last season has been pretty injury free. He has played 78,77,82,63,35, 68 and 13 games season by season in his career. Columbus has several NHL ready defensemen - Blankeberg and Jiricek in Cleveland plus possibly Berni if he doesn't return to Europe.
I really don't think they are concerned about depth.

Well my comment was about feeling a rush to trade a D... I don't think they're afraid of losing depth, but at the same time, I don't think it's a huge issue that needs to be addressed asap.

As for Werenski, I don't wish ill on any player in order to be "right", but the timing of this discussion can't be better... as Werenski was put on IR on the same day you argued he wasn't prone to injuries...

In terms of history, the last 4 seasons:

63/70 (not sure if he would have missed more time though)
35/56 is 62% of games
68/82 is 82% of games
13/82 is not a lot

Last 3 seasons he played max 82% of games, which is 14 games injured. Then you have Boqvist played barely 50% of games too in the last 2 years (was he scratched often though, or is it just due to injuries?).

My point stands. Not sure if there's a rush to trade their extra Ds. Or, they'll have time to showcase them.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
What are Columbus' needs?
columbus simultaneously has Too Many Guys and Not Enough Dudes

the ideal outcomes are to either package peeke with a couple more Guys to get one Dude.

alternatively, moving him out so another Guy can take his place (or a future Dude in jiricek), and getting back a pick that has a chance to turn into a Dude would be an ideal outcome.

therefore, any proposal that doesn't result in a net loss of Guys for columbus doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: squashmaple

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

the ideal outcomes are to either package peeke with a couple more Guys to get one Dude.

alternatively, moving him out so another Guy can take his place (or a future Dude in jiricek), and getting back a pick that has a chance to turn into a Dude would be an ideal outcome.

therefore, any proposal that doesn't result in a net loss of Guys for columbus doesn't make much sense.
What about prospects? What needs do you guys need without taking up a contract spot?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

What kind of pick? Do you value him at a 1st? I suspect no is it a 2nd? In which case we don't have a 2nd but we do have several prospects with 2nd round pick value so I doubt that's an issue.

Is it 3rd rounders or later?

It's not Robertson I'm concerned about I'd move him no problem.

But if you move Jarnkrok AND Robertson then you have a hole at 3rd line RW

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
From the leafs Id do holmberg (potential 3c) and Jarnkrok for Peeke and a 4th this year.
Picks, probably 2nd with Columbus not sending any picks back- definitely no Jarnkrok. I don't see a spot for Holmberg either. Columbus isn't looking for minor league call up type center.

For the right deal- additional draft assets- Columbus is likely to retain on Peeke.

I'm looking for positional needs specifically.
Potential under 21 year old top 6 centers and #1 goalies.
That's why picks probably make more sense.

Reactions: namttebih
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
What kind of pick? Do you value him at a 1st? I suspect no is it a 2nd? In which case we don't have a 2nd but we do have several prospects with 2nd round pick value so I doubt that's an issue.

Is it 3rd rounders or later?

It's not Robertson I'm concerned about I'd move him no problem.

But if you move Jarnkrok AND Robertson then you have a hole at 3rd line RW
I'd guess for Peeke we'd want a 2nd. I'm not familiar enough with the Leafs prospects to have an idea. If it's a prospect, it's likely Columbus wants an under 21- top 6 center prospect or less needed, a large skilled winger. The problem is Columbus has a glut of young defensemen and lots of middle 6 wings. It looks like Center could be very solid with Laine-Fantilli-Jenner-Kuraly/Sillinger/Roslovic down the middle.

I think it goes without saying Columbus isn't in a hurry to trade Peeke or any of the other available defensemen, so they are likely to wait for the right offer to come along.

Honestly, I think Jarmo would like to stock up on as many picks as possible to try to get some "magic beans."

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd guess for Peeke we'd want a 2nd. I'm not familiar enough with the Leafs prospects to have an idea. If it's a prospect, it's likely Columbus wants an under 21- top 6 center prospect or less needed, a large skilled winger. The problem is Columbus has a glut of young defensemen and lots of middle 6 wings. It looks like Center could be very solid with Laine-Fantilli-Jenner-Kuraly/Sillinger/Roslovic down the middle.

I think it goes without saying Columbus isn't in a hurry to trade Peeke or any of the other available defensemen, so they are likely to wait for the right offer to come along.

Honestly, I think Jarmo would like to stock up on as many picks as possible to try to get some "magic beans."

Laine at center? that seems like a bad plan

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Any way to help out sens with their cap issue?

I've always liked Peeke.

Erik Brannstrom, Mathieu Joseph or dominik kubalik would all be available plus picks.

Maybe a 2 for 2 deal with picks balancing out the value? We need to come out with about $1M in cap savings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad