Seravalli: Columbus engaged in trade talks to move defenseman

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
2 players that are likely to move. Foegele was reportedly on the block in the summer but McDavid didn't want him traded. Broberg will be a very good defence man fans are just so impatient with a young D that has been playing in NA for 2 years. We also need an upgrade on Ceci and I think we need a player like a young Tanev to pair with Nurse.
EDM cannot afford an upgrade on Ceci and would need to settle for an upgrade on Desharnais. Peeke would give them just that. No way Oilers are in on Boqvist with Bouchard signed for a couple yrs now.

Broberg+ Foegele for Peeke with some plus could work for both clubs. Oilers will still have Nurse, Ekholm, Kulak, Gleason and Nemelainen at LD after trading Broberg.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Ottawa needs a RHD. Not sure if we'll realize it until it's too late but maybe something can be worked around Joseph + Brannstrom.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
It's been said since day 1 that Treliving wants to add size to the defense.

Makes me wonder if he's targeting 6"3 210 pound Andrew Peeke.

especially since he's 25 with multiple years left on his deal.
Which I'd be fine with depending on the cost.

i don't think toronto could actually do it without sending back a bigger salary. the only one big enough that they didn't just sign is brodie.

would be a short-term upgrade for the jackets and give toronto some cap flexiblity, but it only marginally gives columbus more flexibility (starting next year) which some may say defeats the purpose.

personally i'd do something around bean (50% retained) and peeke for brodie. not sure about leafs fans though.
Nah, despite most hyperbolic idiot fans Brodie is really useful, logs a ton of min... I just... I mean it's fair but we need him... I'd def want to think on it...

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Ottawa needs a RHD. Not sure if we'll realize it until it's too late but maybe something can be worked around Joseph + Brannstrom.
I think Columbus is likely to only want to take picks and/or prospects back for whichever defenseman they trade. They have a glut of defensemen, which is why they are looking to ,make a trade, and an overabundance of bottom six forwards.
I would imagine they would consider retaining some salary depending on the offer. I can't imagine they would want depth forwards like Joseph or a depth defenseman like Brannstrom.

Could switch Joseph for Kubalik if that works better.

I think if Ottawa sees a need for a RHD from Columbus, the offer needs to be picks or prospects.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I have a feeling that this is going to go on until the trade deadline.
It very well might. Columbus doesn't seem to need to make a trade. I think they just would like to give themselves a bit of flexibility and maybe the opportunity to bring Nick Blankenburg up from Cleveland. Once there is the usual injury or two, they will be able to do that anyway.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Canucks probably offering Podkolzin since he's waiver exempt
Why?? It's Garland they want to trade to create cap flexibility. Why would they trade Podkolzin who is in the farm for more cap when they need to make cap room??

cbj has either had no bids on the players they really want to move or has outwaited the market. at this stage the usual outcome is to take the loss on the least valuable asset to get out from under their situation.
This is where Vancouver and CBJ can have a win win trade. Peeke for Garland is a sensible trade, it's a top 4 D for a top 6 forward where both players are victims of depth.

Reactions: bcbill

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Garland is a good player and I love players like this - he’s small, but he is gritty, fierceness, and fast. And right now is caught between the cap and the Vancouver media.

Columbus fans will love this guy and it opens a spot on the blue line for Jiricek.

Reactions: Raistlin

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Why?? It's Garland they want to trade to create cap flexibility. Why would they trade Podkolzin who is in the farm for more cap when they need to make cap room??

This is where Vancouver and CBJ can have a win win trade. Peeke for Garland is a sensible trade, it's a top 4 D for a top 6 forward where both players are victims of depth.
There's a difference between assets the team wants to move and assets the team can move.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
like garland a lot and think he'd be a great target in a vacuum, but the term left on his deal is a bit of an issue for the jackets.

that's not to say that it's a huge issue – fantilli has all three ELC years left, as does jiricek (double-slide eligible). mateychuk will slide again this year, too.

both guys have three years left. if vancouver retained garland down to $3.85m (1.1m retention) and then took peeke back ($2.75m) it'd be salary-neutral for them and the aav would be more palatable for the jackets.

that said, i love the idea of turning this into a blockbuster that includes a goalie swap. something like garland + demko for peeke, merzlikins, ceulemans and chinakhov.

would save vancouver about $1.5m in cap + give them a potential garland replacement (chinny's awesome) and a good RHD prospect. columbus would get the change in net that they need and a veteran wing while clearing up a bit of the roster logjam.

Reactions: viceroy and Viqsi

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
like garland a lot and think he'd be a great target in a vacuum, but the term left on his deal is a bit of an issue for the jackets.

that's not to say that it's a huge issue – fantilli has all three ELC years left, as does jiricek (double-slide eligible). mateychuk will slide again this year, too.

both guys have three years left. if vancouver retained garland down to $3.85m (1.1m retention) and then took peeke back ($2.75m) it'd be salary-neutral for them and the aav would be more palatable for the jackets.

that said, i love the idea of turning this into a blockbuster that includes a goalie swap. something like garland + demko for peeke, merzlikins, ceulemans and chinakhov.

would save vancouver about $1.5m in cap + give them a potential garland replacement (chinny's awesome) and a good RHD prospect. columbus would get the change in net that they need and a veteran wing while clearing up a bit of the roster logjam.
Vancouver isn’t moving Demko.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It very well might. Columbus doesn't seem to need to make a trade. I think they just would like to give themselves a bit of flexibility and maybe the opportunity to bring Nick Blankenburg up from Cleveland. Once there is the usual injury or two, they will be able to do that anyway.

Boqvist AND Werenski can't seem to string a full season together, so idk if they see a rush?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Do you really think the Canucks are moving Demko?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Think about both teams needs before posting trade proposals. You’re not getting Demko.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

A Demko trade would need Johnson/Marchenko coming back. He’s much too valuable.
so all of those rumors that they were trying to move him around the deadline last year / into the summer aren't the case anymore? (not being snarky, i am genuinely asking)
Yeah they were unfounded. Demko personally said the rumors were false and he wants to stay.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
so all of those rumors that they were trying to move him around the deadline last year / into the summer aren't the case anymore? (not being snarky, i am genuinely asking)
I 100% don't believe that the Canucks have ever given any thought to trading Demko.

What is stated on HFBoards has no relevance to the actual team or real life. I haven't ever seen a credible rumor that Demko was ever going to be dealt.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There were never any rumours of moving Demko that I’m aware of. He was recovering from a pretty serious injury and Rutherford called him the teams franchise goalie.
We have no one in the system ready to step in. I’d say he’s the third least likely guy to be moved after only Hughes and Pettersson.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
There were never any rumours of moving Demko that I’m aware of. He was recovering from a pretty serious injury and Rutherford called him the teams franchise goalie.
We have no one in the system ready to step in. I’d say he’s the third least likely guy to be moved after only Hughes and Pettersson.
4th. Miller has a full NTC. canucks cant move Demko, moving him means losing Pettersson next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad